autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opinions welcome on purchasing new detailing kit..

Thanks Mike!

I've added these items for my new order...

Speed Master Clay Towel
    Blackfire Synthetic Clay Mitt Cleaner
    Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash

I like your idea of numbering the quadrants of the towel! So; after using all 4 sections, simply spray the towel with the hose to clean, re-soak in washing solution or spray with a quick detailer, and continue on?
    For my Frontier, I think I will begin the machine process with the Griot's Complete Compound, then Polish, & apply the Poly Wax. These are the 3 products included in my first purchase that includes the "G9 Ultimate Pad & Polish Kit".
    For my Focus, I'm thinking about skipping the Complete Compound application. Or; do you think it would be best to apply the Complete Compound here, as well?
    The truck definitely needs a bit more love!

Before I place this order, is there anything that I really need at this time other than the 3 items listed (so far)?

Thanks again!!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by GKH ST View Post

Thanks Mike!

I've added these items for my new order...

Speed Master Clay Towel
    Blackfire Synthetic Clay Mitt Cleaner
    Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash
    All great products.

I like your idea of numbering the quadrants of the towel!
    Thanks. When these "clay replacements" first were introduced, one of the first clay towels I used was the Speedy Surface Prep towel back in 2012. I don't remember it coming with any in-depth how-to directions or techniques.

After I used it for the first time the first thing my mind thought was,

How can I get the most bang for my buck with this product?

And that's when I came up with the idea to draw a + sign on the back of the towel and then number the squares. I like to get the most service life out of a product, tool, pads or anything, heck my car for that matter.

How To Use the Speedy Surface Prep Towel

So; after using all 4 sections, simply spray the towel with the hose to clean, re-soak in washing solution or spray with a quick detailer, and continue on?
    No. You only use ONE quadrant at at time. Then clean and lay out to dry. The way I clean them is to swish them around in a bucket of soapy water or run them under running water in a sink.

If you're going to use the Clay Mitt Cleaner, (works great), spray some onto the quadrant you used and agitate lightly with a nylon brush and then rinse. Then lay the towel out flat to dry. After it dries, store some place flat. The rubber is sticky, this is normal no matter what the brand, it's just a characteristic of the polymerized rubber.

See my how-to article here for tips on cleaning any clay substitute.

Review: BLACKFIRE Synthetic Clay Mitt Cleaner

Then agitated using a horse hair detail brush (we carry these at Autogeek)

I did this under running water...

Perfectly clean and in my opinion - safe to use on the next car.

Here's simple way to let air-dry. Mitt is place over bottle. Towel is place on top of bottle. Don't let the rubber touch itself.

[QUOTE=GKH ST;1677252]

For my Frontier, I think I will begin the machine process with the Griot's Complete Compound, then Polish, & apply the Poly Wax. These are the 3 products included in my first purchase that includes the "G9 Ultimate Pad & Polish Kit".

[quote]

BE sure to wipe the Complete Compound and Complete Polish off immediately after working over the surface. I used these products when they first came out and while they work good, I remember wipe-off to be a bit sticky.

Note how I share how many pads I used? I try to do this in all my write-ups.

How to use Griot's Garage to detail your car - A detail job Richard Griot would be proud of!

For my Focus, I'm thinking about skipping the Complete Compound application. Or; do you think it would be best to apply the Complete Compound here, as well?
    The truck definitely needs a bit more love!
    Hopefully I've shared and you've read about the concept and practice of doing a Test Spot.

How to do a Test Spot and then buff out your car! Video Explanation by Mike Phillips

Before I place this order, is there anything that I really need at this time other than the 3 items listed (so far)?

Thanks again!!

What you have looks good. I think you probably would have liked the BOSS creams over the Complete products, but they work great, just wipe-off immediately. When you run out, get the Griot's BOSS Creams. They work great, zero dusting, long buffing cycle and easy wipe-off.

I'm not a Rinseless Wash guy, I prefer waterless wash and normal bucket wash but the good news is you can dilute the Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash to be any of these 4 things,

Waterless Wash
    Rinseless Wash
    Spray Detailer
    Clay Lube

This is a very popular product.

Get some of these,

36 Ounce Detail Bottle

And these,

This is a chemical resistant spray head and you don't need chemical resistance for this type of product but the adjustable nozzle works good for atomizing the spray.

High Output Chemical Resistant Sprayer

Cheapie spray nozzles suck at atomizing a liquid so they spray like a squirt gun. Junk.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Mike!
    Got it! So; when numbering the quadrants, you just use one quadrant per detailing session only. Makes sense! And, when you feel it's time, rinse it well / soak it, and carry on using the same quadrant. I have been using a soap gun with McKees #37 in a dual wash bucket method. Claying while washing is going to be nice! What I will do is a full wash first with my regular wash mitt, and then a repeat wash with the clay towel.
    Duly noted on moving to the BOSS creams next time. I'll make sure to wipe each panel immediately after applying the Compound & Polish.
    I put 2 of the bottles you recommended in my cart. The nozzles are on back order, currently. I'll get this order placed, and while waiting for everything to arrive, I'll be watching a bunch of your 'How To' videos!
    Thanks again, Mike! Have a great evening!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys! Hope you're all doing well!
    Since; I am still waiting for products to arrive on my 3 orders, I've been wondering if maybe I should order some microfiber pads, as well, for detailing my Nissan Frontier! I have orange correcting pads for both my G9 & G8. But; I know the Frontier may require a beefier pad around the frontal area. But; maybe not . Not sure.
    I've seen quite a few videos where they are using Microfiber pads during correction stage.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think you will want microfiber on Nissan paint, it'll leave a lot of haze. You might be surprised at how good result something like orange pads and a good compound will do on Japanese paint.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys! Hope you're all doing well!
    Since; I am still waiting for products to arrive on my 3 orders, I've been wondering if maybe I should order some microfiber pads, as well, for detailing my Nissan Frontier! I have orange correcting pads for both my G9 & G8. But; I know the Frontier may require a beefier pad around the frontal area. But; maybe not . Not sure.
    I've seen quite a few videos where they are using Microfiber pads during correction stage.

Thanks!
    Yup, you have been bitten quite severely by the detail bug.

IMO, I would wait until you see what the orange pads can do first. (Test spot).

If the orange pads do the trick, then you'll have MF pads just collecting dust in the garage. JMO
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!!! Very much appreciated!
    I'll wait. I've ready some good reviews on the orange!
    On my second order, the 25ft. Griot's polisher cable is the only item back ordered. The polish, poly wax, & 5.5" orange pads were fulfilled from the first order, and those shipped today. My third order with the clay towel, etc,,, is already incoming!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice. You get two Christmas's.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I retired last June. Every day is Christmas!!

11. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yet, another order placed this morning!

(1) Cobra Supreme Guzzler 20"x40" (I bought one of these back in 2017, as well)
    (1) Poorboy's World Microfiber Cleaner - 128 oz.
    (1) Cobra Supreme 530 Microfiber Kit
    (2) DP Insect Eliminator

....... Still waiting on my second order that included the G8, pads, Speed Master Tool Cart, pad cleaner, & 25' Griot's power cord..
    The power cord is still back ordered. Everything else has arrived.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast