autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Clay bar

Post Thanks / Like

Clay bar

So I'm looking into to detailing my car soon. Do I have to clay bar? If so can I use a clay rag or something easier than slippery clay. I got the car about 5 months ago new, and I'm gonna be using HDspeed as my AIO. And what wax do you guys recommend I use for after the job, as well as pads. Thank you. Car has decent scratches all around under sunlight.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clay bar

You don't "have" to do anything. IF you use a clay bar or a mitt/towel, you will have a cleaner, smoother surface to apply your AIO, and it will bond better. I would suggest you try white correcting or orange correcting from Griot's or equivalent from another manufacturer. Mike would always say to use the most conservative option (yellow) first, and see where it gets you.

Any of the new hybrid ceramic sprays should work very nicely as an extender for you.

Griots Garage 5.5 inch BOSS Foam and Microfiber Pads

Post Thanks / Like

What clay bar or mitt would you recommend. My car is around 5 months old and has scratches and swirls, light but they are present.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never bothered with clay mitts.
    The Mothers California Gold clay kit is a steal at under $20. Available in a pinch many places in town.
    2 - 100 grams of clay and a bottle of Showtime detailer to boot.
    I believe it is a mild clay which works for me except a couple times I had to use medium gray in spots.

The Mothers clay is yellow so it is easy to see fresh clay from contaminated clay.
    I break my kit into 4 chunks and use half a bar( 50 gram ) each time I need to clay.

Your swirls will only come out with a machine polish and claying usually does its bit of adding to the marring.

Post Thanks / Like

To find out if you should clay, wash your car thoroughly then place one of those thin plastic bags from the grocery store vegetable section over your hand and slowly wipe across the surface of the car. If it feels gritty or rough then you should really consider claying, if it feels smooth then no you can pass. If it does feel gritty or rough you do not have to clay your car, but your results in polishing and applying a finish will be a lot better.
    Sincerely, Bruce
    2015 Ram Big Horn CC 3500 Cummins DRW w/AISIN tranny

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jarabian52 View Post
    What clay bar or mitt would you recommend. My car is around 5 months old and has scratches and swirls, light but they are present.
    I have been using the Nanoskin mitt. I use it after I wash each panel, keeping it in the 'clean' pail. I gave away my clay bars after using the mitt. I would have just as much much confidence in any major provider's (Blackfire, Meguiars, Griots) mitt or pad.

Nanoskin AutoScrub Fine Grade Wash Mitt