autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rotary for next tool or a nano?

Hi there, i have a big dilemma.
    I own a 15mm Rupes mark 2 DA and 75 mini.

should i buy a rotary first for my arsenal with some extensions and diferent backing plates or choose between rupes nano and flex pxe80?

Mike Phillips

Re: Rotary for next tool or a nano?

All three are good options to go with your RUPES BigFoot 15 Mark III

Here's the combination of tools I find myself using a lot and/or the most

The BEAST because it's the BEAST.
    The PiXiE because it can maintain pad rotation in the 12m free spin mode
    The RUPES Nano Long Neck in Rotary Mode because I love the correction ability in tight places and along edges. Also like the reach.

3. Thanks Reno thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Think that’s more of a question you should answer yourself. I will add my thoughts though...

Are ready for a rotary? Do you need a rotary? Do you have experience or will this be where you start to learn a rotary? I think the rotary is a great tool and I consider it a must have.

Personally I love the Rupes Rotary for detailing. The Flex PE 14 is great also.

The Flex PiXiE is the tool that I absolutely love. I wonder how I did without it. Gets used from compounding, polishing, applying wax, interior work and all sorts of other tasks. The ability to use 1 inch to 3 inch pads and change over easily is awesome.

The Rupes Nano, I sold 3 weeks after I got it. I personally wasn’t a fan.

So you will have to answer what will make more sense for you to purchase and what will benefit your more.
    Jim

5. Thanks Reno thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you’re making money detailing then you’ll probably end up with all of those at some point. If you only take care of your own vehicle it’s hard to justify buying more than you already have. Save your money if that’s the case.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

making my first steps on business. already with these 2 tools had great sucess on 2 customer vehicles

Post Thanks / Like

I have the two polishers in your original post and I added a ibrid nano to my collection. It has been a good tool for me and I use it more often then I thought I would. It has paid for itself.

9. Thanks Reno thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I have the two polishers in your original post and I added a ibrid nano to my collection.
    It has been a good tool for me and I use it more often then I thought I would. It has paid for itself.
    ^ Agreed.

I constantly use my Rupes Bigfoot Nano iBrid Long Neck This would be my next machine to add!

Coming Soon:
    iBrid Nano EXTENSION is a 70mm (2.75”) metal shaft that provides additional reach for the iBrid Nano into even more difficult to polish and complex areas.
    Extension shaft for iBrid Nano polisher - Rupes tools

11. Thanks Reno thanked for this post
    Likes Reno liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Here's a cheesy video I made showing one example of how I use the RUPES Nano Long Neck in rotary mode to edge a 928 Porsche

Mike Phillips - Edge Work - Mike Phillips Style

And keep in mind this is antique single stage paint - it's very soft so I was able to CORRECT the paint using soft foam finishing pads.

AND - AFTER using this tool in ROTARY MODE -it IS going to leave HOLOGRAMS in the paint. I know this and expect this and this is why I do this type of edge work FIRST. Next I use an ORBITAL polisher to go back over all the areas I buffed in rotary bode to remove the holograms.

Make sense?

And here's the full write-up for this detail job.

Review: Wolfgang Concours-Series Microfiber Towels - 1988 Porsche 928 s4

13. Thanks Reno thanked for this post
    Likes Reno liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Here's a cheesy video I made showing one example of how I use the RUPES Nano Long Neck in rotary mode to edge a 928 Porsche

Mike Phillips - Edge Work - Mike Phillips Style

And keep in mind this is antique single stage paint - it's very soft so I was able to CORRECT the paint using soft foam finishing pads.

AND - AFTER using this tool in ROTARY MODE -it IS going to leave HOLOGRAMS in the paint. I know this and expect this and this is why I do this type of edge work FIRST. Next I use an ORBITAL polisher to go back over all the areas I buffed in rotary bode to remove the holograms.

Make sense?

so, ROTARY IS the better option ( like flex xfe15 or pe14-2 ) for overall CORRECTION. Followed by ORBITAL for POLISHING. Any MICRO TOOL will be used for better edging, except if i master the rotary with any extension and small backing plate. But MY SENSE right now telling me to buy a flex ROTARY FIRST (or a BEAST ) and invest in a MICRO tool later on.
    Also best pads to have on hand Mike? if you just had the option to choose 2 kind of pads for Rupes for correction and polishing, what would they be? wool pads,MF pads etc?

Thank you for your time

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Reno View Post
    so, ROTARY IS the better option ( like flex xfe15 or pe14-2 ) for overall CORRECTION. Followed by ORBITAL for POLISHING. Any MICRO TOOL will be used for better edging, except if i master the rotary with any extension and small backing plate. But MY SENSE right now telling me to buy a flex ROTARY FIRST (or a BEAST ) and invest in a MICRO tool later on.
    Also best pads to have on hand Mike? if you just had the option to choose 2 kind of pads for Rupes for correction and polishing, what would they be? wool pads,MF pads etc?

Thank you for your time

If it were me?

I'd start out with the BEAST!

I teach people how to go up on edge with this tool and turn a 6.5" pad into a 1" pad.

If you put the time in behind the buffer you can make any tool dance on the paint...

It's not just about the tool - it's about you.

Once you make your decision as to which tool you're going to go with, the next thing is to start spending time behind the tool. This means start buffing out cars. After you buffed out plenty of cars, that is you have hundreds of hours behind the tool of your choice, then with the right pads and products you should be able to make magic happen.

Making these two tools dance on paint...

Edging with the FLEX 3401 at one of our detailing classes

How to use the Flex 3401 to remove swirls & water spots

Buffing a tight area UP ON EDGE using a RUPES BigFoot 21

Custom Paint Job - 1980 Corvette - RUPES & Gyeon - Extreme Show Car Makeover at Autogeek

Buffing on edge with the RUPES BigFoot 21 Mark II

I cover this technique on page 64 of my RUPES how-to book.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast