autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Need Some Help with the Waxing Process

Okay, so it seems like the waxing game has come a long way since I was a kid. All I remember is wash and wax and buff-all by hand. Nowadays, with the different types of wax, claying, paint cleaners, buffers, polishers, and pads, it can get a bit confusing. I just invested in the BLACKFIRE BlackICE hybrid Montan sealant wax. I have a large truck, so I’m seriously considering the PC 7424 Complete Starter kit. My plan is to wash and clay, then use the BLACKFIRE Gloss Enhancing polish, then wax and buff. My problem is I get confused as to which pads to use when. Do I use the white pads to apply the polish and later the wax? Do I use the black pads to buff off the polish and later the wax? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Some Help with the Waxing Process

Hey if I’m understanding correctly, you’re looking at the PC Perfect Starter Kit correct?

If so it has a mix of small Orange Pads and larger White and Black pads. The large white pad that comes with the PC is a typical polishing pad and can be used as well.

Generally product aggressiveness pairs with pad type/color, but can be mixed as needed. Let’s keep it simple..
    Orange pads-compound
    White-Polish(BF Gloss Enhancing Polish)
    Black-Wax/Sealant(BF BlackIce sealant wax)

I’d recommend using microfiber towels to buff off the polish and wax and not the polisher itself.
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

3. Thanks Cdhoff502 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

First, go with the new Griot's G-9 it's way better than the PC and it has a lifetime warranty.

Griot's Garage G9 Random Orbital Polisher

Griot's Garage 5.5 inch FLAT Pad Complete Kit
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

5. Thanks Cdhoff502 thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, DMiglio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    First, go with the new Griot's G-9 it's way better than the PC and it has a lifetime warranty.

I will agree with you, Mark. For the difference in price, you will get much more machine with the GG9.

That being said, the PC is a little tank of a machine and It will always have a place in my heart. (Mine is now my dedicated 3" machine).
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

7. Thanks Cdhoff502 thanked for this post
    Likes DMiglio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I appreciate the help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post

I was going to recommend the G9 as well (my G6 is my workhorse) but I’ve been seeing threads pop up about it failing already. The PC I have, other than being a bit weak overall hasn’t let me down. Mines quite young at 7 years old and like Paul, used for 3” pads now.

That said, despite the seemingly less reliable option of the two, I’d say the G9 is probably the best overall entry level polisher, taking over from the G6.
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

10. Thanks Cdhoff502 thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And for a large truck, I wouldn't mess with an actual wax unless you really like spending time waxing. I'd go with one of the better All-In-Ones like Blackfire or HD speed so you can knock it out in a single pass. I own a truck too, and even with an All-In-One it's going to take the better part of a day.

12. Thanks Cdhoff502 thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Cdhoff502 View Post

Okay, so it seems like the waxing game has come a long way since I was a kid. All I remember is wash and wax and buff-all by hand. Nowadays, with the different types of wax, claying, paint cleaners, buffers, polishers, and pads, it can get a bit confusing.

I just invested in the BLACKFIRE BlackICE hybrid Montan sealant wax. I have a large truck, so I’m seriously considering the PC 7424 Complete Starter kit.

It can seem confusing until you get a little help from your friends here on this forum.

I cannot count how many times over the last 18+ years I've been working in the car detailing "Forum World", that someone has finally made the switch from working by hand to getting a simple, safe random orbital polisher and then said something like this,

I can't believe it took me so long to get a polisher

Take my experienced word for it - you'll never look back. AND you'll get such better results and get them faster than you can ever get working by hand.

My plan is to wash and clay, then use the BLACKFIRE Gloss Enhancing polish, then wax and buff.
    That will work.

If it had been me? I would have either got a real polish or a great one-step cleaner/wax and used one of these products instead of the BF Gloss Enhansing Polish or ANY brand of "Paint Cleaner". Paint cleaners are non-abrasive, while this means they are super safe, for ALL THE WORK and TIME it takes to apply one - you could have applied a fine cut polish or a great one-step cleaner/wax and obtained ALL the benefits of the paint cleaner PLUS removed some swirls and scratches and still stayed very safe.

Here's my article on this topic,

A paint cleaner is an either/or product - The difference between a paint cleaner and a paint polish by Mike Phillips

But if you already have the BF Gloss Enhancing Polish - it works great for light, topical surface cleaning so might as well use it and then down the road when you run out, switch over to a quart of the BF One Step and never look back.

My problem is I get confused as to which pads to use when. Do I use the white pads to apply the polish and later the wax?

Do I use the black pads to buff off the polish and later the wax?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The confusion comes from the fact that their is no uniform or universal color code system between all the pad manufactures in the world. Even single pad manufactures use different colors for similar types of pads.

But if you let us know which polisher you buy I and others will be happy to recommend great pads and explain what they do.

Hope the above clears up a little confusion.

14. Thanks Cdhoff502 thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Also - like others stated,

The Griot's G9 is the de-facto best entry level, simple and easy to use polisher on the market today.

That said, the Porter Cable is a work horse.

For doing simple compounding, polishing and machine waxing, both are great choices. The Porter Cable used with THIN pads is actually a really nice tool. The only time the Porter Cable polish is challenged is when you use LARGE THICK foam pads.

So if you go with either tool, just stick with one of the really nice thin foam pads on the market today. Here's my article on this topic,

5.5" SUPER THIN FOAM PAD OPTIONS for your Dual Action Polisher

Super thin 5.5" foam buffing pads

Don't get pads like the 6.5" anything. Too thick and the diameter of footprint of the pad is too large. The effect of too thick and too large is the tool cannot maintain pad rotation.

When using a FREE SPINNING RANDOM ORBITAL POLISHER - the pad is NOT rotating - you are wasting your time.

And thus why I wrote these two articles,

How to Monitor Pad Rotation? Mark Your Buffing Pads

Use a combination of Sharpie Markers, both Black and Silver and also touch-up paint can be used.

Video: Mark your backing plate to make it easy to see pad rotation

16. Thanks Cdhoff502 thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Here's my review of the new Griot's G9

Review: Griot's G9 - 9mm Orbit Stroke Random Orbital Polisher by Mike Phillips

And from post #27 of the above review,

What I recommend and what I did for my own personal G9 is to put a Griot's 5" G9 backing plate on this tool and then use 5.5" pads on it.

Here's two recent articles on this topic I wrote.

Backing Plate Swap - 5 inch backing plate for the Griot's Garage G9

Foam Pad Options for the Griots G9 Polisher

I know it's no fun to take a completely good, brand new 6" backing plate and not use it - if you don't get a 5" backing plate here's what you'll end up doing....

Investing all your buffing pad money into 6.5" buffing pads

With these types of tools, you'll get the best swirl removing ability by using 5.5" pads. Might as well bite the bullet and after purchasing a G9 - spend the $20.00 and get the matching 5" backing plate and then start investing your $$$ Pad Money $$$ on smaller pads.

This hold true for the Porter Cable polisher. There's a lot of Porter Cable kits on the market, including on the Autogeek.com store site - pick a kit that comes with a 5" backing plate NOT a 6" backing plate.

18. Thanks Cdhoff502 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast