autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pad cleaning?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pad cleaning?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    I don’t care for any powdered type cleaner. Problem is that powders don’t always dissolve properly. That can create a problem next time you buff if one of those particles get dislodged from the pad.

I use an APC with a nylon pad conditioning brush with lots of free flowing water followed by a trip in the washing machine. Finally followed by drying on a rack velcro side up.
    While it is true what you say, one just has to insure the powder is fully dissolved and not too difficult to do with hot water and thorough agitation. I have used powder pad cleaners for years and never had a problem.
    Sincerely, Bruce
    2015 Ram Big Horn CC 3500 Cummins DRW w/AISIN tranny

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes1 View Post
    While it is true what you say, one just has to insure the powder is fully dissolved and not too difficult to do with hot water and thorough agitation. I have used powder pad cleaners for years and never had a problem.
    I’d rather take zero chance of scratching paint. Feel free to use your own method but I prefer to take every precaution to remove potential issues that can harm paint. Takes a while to buff paint out but only seconds to scratch it back up to roughly quote Mike Phillips.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I’d rather take zero chance of scratching paint. Feel free to use your own method but I prefer to take every precaution to remove potential issues that can harm paint. Takes a while to buff paint out but only seconds to scratch it back up to roughly quote Mike Phillips.
    To each his own of course, but consider on another pad cleaning thread, of two products Mike Phillips recommends, one is a powdered product. I think your point would be better stated and helpful to others is to point out the potential for scratching the paint if not properly dissolved. I have found the Blackfire Advanced pad cleaner Mike Phillips recommends dissolves easily and quickly and has never left any scratches on the paint.
    Sincerely, Bruce

4. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To each his own of course, but consider on another pad cleaning thread, of two products Mike Phillips recommends, one is a powdered product. I think your point would be better stated and helpful to others is to point out the potential for scratching the paint if not properly dissolved. I have found the Blackfire Advanced pad cleaner Mike Phillips recommends dissolves easily and quickly and has never left any scratches on the paint.
    There are always a few ways to skin a cat. I just wanted to share my thought process and explain why. It doesn’t necessarily mean my method is proper or right. Doesn’t mean you process is wrong, so please don’t feel I was bashing your method.
    Jim

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There are always a few ways to skin a cat. I just wanted to share my thought process and explain why. It doesn’t necessarily mean my method is proper or right. Doesn’t mean you process is wrong, so please don’t feel I was bashing your method.
    You are both right, but watch out Dr. :

If Bruce comes at us with that big a$$ Dually Ram, we will all be in trouble.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

8. Likes Hermes1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree and I do not feel my method is bashed. I just wanted to clarify and make clear to others that the powdered versions can be used safely if properly mixed. Contrary to what PaulMys said I will NOT be coming after you and him for that matter with my "big a$$ Dually Ram". He is always stirring up trouble.
    Sincerely, Bruce

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know this thread is a few months old, but wanted to ask you guys that toss them in the washer, are you using a cleaning agent in the washer? I have scaled up my work and while waiting for more pads I am struggling keeping them clean one at a time. I ran through about 30 pads in the last 2 days and I have 2 large jobs on Monday.

I have Blackfire pad cleaner, figured I would do a soak in warm water with some BF pad cleaner and toss them in the washer. I am just not sure if I should use any cleaner in the wash or just water. Also, hot? cold? warm?

Post Thanks / Like

I use Microfiber Cleaner. 3D to be specific.

3D Towel Kleen
    Jim

13. Likes John U, Thomkirby, JT Moto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I spray mine with McKee's polishing pad cleaner, agitate with a stiff brush, then plop them in a bucket of 3D Towel Kleen solution until I'm all done polishing.

After that, they come clean in the sink with little effort.
    In revisiting and rethinking this thread, this method has merit and worth my effort to try.
    Sincerely, Bruce

15. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is what one of mine looks like after the McKee’s spray/scrub and a soak in the Towel Kleen solution, Bruce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

17. Thanks Hermes1 thanked for this post
    Likes Hermes1 liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast