autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Newbie preparing for ceramic coating - (CQUARTZ UK 3.0)

Fair warning... I overthink everything. Wish I had found this forum sooner, I now realize most of the fortune I've spent on detailing products are probably junk
    I have been reading this forum extensively and decided to try out a ceramic coating on my 1-year old, white, GMC Sierra AT4.

Process I think Ill be following based on advise from all of you guys here

1. Rinse
    2. Chemical Decontaminate (Iron-X)
    3. Wash
    4. Mechanical Decontaminate (Nanoskin Fine)
    5. Polish (Menzerna SF3500 w/ white LC pad, orange if needed)
    6. Eraser
    7. 2 coats CQ
    8. Reload

First question of many to come:
    Ive been using a quick detail that contains wax, similar to (ONR) Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax. However Im going to be applying CQuartz. Would the "wash and wax" be a bad idea to use as a lube since I need to remove it all prior to coating? Or is it irrelevant because the polish and eraser will remove it all?
    Not sure how critical it is...
    I have a bottle of Mothers QD I have laying around but I don't know if that is wax free. Or I could spend more money and buy something bettter. I am spending way too much on this already and trying to limit unnecessary purchases but don't want to screw it all up over $20 either.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie preparing for ceramic coating - (CQUARTZ UK 3.0)

The wax from a wash and wax is not that durable so your prep stage will remove it. Which Mothers QD is it? Showtime? In general QD's are not durable either. They will alter the surface tension for a short time. Save it for a drying aid if anything. But you have Reload for that purpose as well.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    The wax from a wash and wax is not that durable so your prep stage will remove it. Which Mothers QD is it? Showtime? In general QD's are not durable either. They will alter the surface tension for a short time. Save it for a drying aid if anything. But you have Reload for that purpose as well.
    California Gold Instant Detailer. It’s whatever was in the clay kit I bought before I learned about nanoskin.

Post Thanks / Like

Your steps 1-8 is right on. You have a truck, so don't kill yourself by trying to do this in one day.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Your steps 1-8 is right on. You have a truck, so don't kill yourself by trying to do this in one day.
    It is going to be a lot of work for sure! And to make it worse, first Im gonna do my wifes Escalade including a 3M clear bra! That's gonna take several days... and I don't even know if either will fit in my garage, assuming I can clean it up enough for a vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Rinsing isn’t going to get all the dirt off and i tried iron X before washing and after. After worked better as it allowed the Iron X to get straight to the iron and not have to penetrate through the dirt.

Also dried the car so wetness would not water down the product.

Lastly, Iron X is great but i really liked Griot better. The consistency is more gel like and it clung to paint better.

Save $20 on a gallon compared to Iron X too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My head was spinning picking polishing pads and now selecting the right microfiber towels is even more laborious! I have a handful of basic CG microfibers that I bought on prime day a year ago. They're getting dirty and probably aren't the right towels for the job anyway.

1) For the polishing step, what towels would you recommend just for buffing off excess Menzerna SF3500 polish? Is that considered "polishing" or "buffing" because there are different towels recommended for each. I know Ill get 100 answers but I'm tired of reading so I'll get the first one that receives a couple recommendations. How many should be minimum for a large, white, daily driver, SUV? I was amazed at the number some stated and I assume they are doing this professionally where you can pass along the cost. I cannot.

2) After washing, can I use the same towels above for applying the CarPro Eraser?

3) What are good uk 3.0 applicators and how many would you use on the vehicle above?

4) Towels to buff off high spots? Same as above? How many?

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Grab these. You can use them for everything. I would actually buy 3 dozen for that gig, 4 would be better. Hell, the more the merrier.
    Sounds like a lot but it isn't when you are doing a coating job
    Cobra 12 Pack Forrest Green Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloths

You will have what you need for UK3 applicators in the box it comes in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N8huntsman View Post
    My head was spinning picking polishing pads and now selecting the right microfiber towels is even more laborious! I have a handful of basic CG microfibers that I bought on prime day a year ago. They're getting dirty and probably aren't the right towels for the job anyway.

1) For the polishing step, what towels would you recommend just for buffing off excess Menzerna SF3500 polish? Is that considered "polishing" or "buffing" because there are different towels recommended for each. I know Ill get 100 answers but I'm tired of reading so I'll get the first one that receives a couple recommendations. How many should be minimum for a large, white, daily driver, SUV? I was amazed at the number some stated and I assume they are doing this professionally where you can pass along the cost. I cannot.
    I would consider looking into a polish that has less polishing oils. I missed that the first time you made your post. If you intend to use it then I would recommend a prep wipe during your polishing step and then after (essentially 2 wipe downs). As far as towels I use the edgeless 365 from the rag company.

2) After washing, can I use the same towels above for applying the CarPro Eraser?
    Yes

3) What are good uk 3.0 applicators and how many would you use on the vehicle above?
    My favorite applicators are the microfiber/terry coating saver applicators from Autofiber. If you don't want to spend the money for those then use the included suede and suede block. Use the included suede towel to make more applicators.

4) Towels to buff off high spots? Same as above? How many?
    My preferred towel is the edgeless 300 from the rag company. If you intend to buy from AGO then these would be an alternative which is plenty to get the job done IGL Coating Removal Towels 10 Pack

Mike Phillips

First question of many to come:

Ive been using a quick detail that contains wax, similar to (ONR) Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax. However Im going to be applying CQuartz. Would the "wash and wax" be a bad idea to use as a lube since I need to remove it all prior to coating? Or is it irrelevant because the polish and eraser will remove it all?

Couldn't tell from your list of steps in order, but use the Nanoskin after washing and rinsing. This means you're using soapy car wash as you lube.

The polishing step will remove everything.

After polishing then chemically strip and coat.

Be sure to have a GREAT hand-held light when working with coatings. To me, this is a great price on a great light.

SCANGRIP MiniMatch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast