autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Newbee Needs Help !!

Newbee Needs Help !!

Good Morning Everyone, I have some questions and I am looking for guidance from the group.

We just took delivery of our new Dodge Charger Hellcat on April 4th. After the 7 hour drive home I washed the car to get all of the bugs off of it and then did a complete clay bar top to bottom. I applied detail spray just to have something on the car. I now want to get the paint ready.

I have a Griot 6" DA buffer and a 3" DA buffer.

Here is my plan and please tell me if you think I am on the right path.

I was going to start with Chemical Guys VSS to get and swirls and scratches out of the paint.

I was then going to apply Griot's one step paint sealant and then finish with Meguiars Black Wax.

The car is Phantom Black BTW.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbee Needs Help !!

I would try the Griot's AIO first and see if it will provide enough correction, this will save you a step.

3. Likes WVHEMIS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just be aware that griot's one step sealant and meguiar's black wax are both cleaner waxes. I know black wax is an abrasive cleaner wax and that will remove whatever is applied before it. With that said both products do the same thing so only one is needed. If you are going to go through the polishing process why not look into a dedicated sealant.

5. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Mike Phillips

First question...

Do you know what a Test Spot is and how to do one?

Quote Originally Posted by WVHEMIS View Post

I was going to start with Chemical Guys VSS to get and swirls and scratches out of the paint.
    Before I buffed out a car with any Chemical Guys products, and especially on a black car, I be damn sure to do a Test Spot and make sure the results you see are the results you hope and dream about before buffing out the rest of the car.

Over the years I've answered a LOT of questions about micro-marring. What caused it? How to undo it?

Click the below link, watch this video, it will show you HOW and explain WHY to do a Test Spot. Then copy on the hood or trunk lid of your car.

How to do a Test Spot and then buff out your car! Video Explanation by Mike Phillips

7. Likes WVHEMIS, custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Newbee Needs Help !!

Good Morning Everyone, I have some questions and I am looking for guidance from the group.

We just took delivery of our new Dodge Charger Hellcat on April 4th. After the 7 hour drive home I washed the car to get all of the bugs off of it and then did a complete clay bar top to bottom. I applied detail spray just to have something on the car. I now want to get the paint ready.

I have a Griot 6" DA buffer and a 3" DA buffer.

Here is my plan and please tell me if you think I am on the right path.

I was then going to apply Griot's one step paint sealant and then finish with Meguiars Black Wax.

The car is Phantom Black BTW.

I'll add my .02 here....I've used VSS and Griots Sealant....and was very disappointed in both. VSS, like CG V4 and their V line of compounds.polishes, leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe you will have better success with it than I did. In my experience, Griots Sealant was difficult to remove and did not have great longevity. I'm guessing that is due to it's being a 'dual purpose' product.

As The Guz suggested, I think you'd be better served with a dedicated sealant, say like MCKees HiDef, or Wolfgang (either Deep Gloss or SIO2), after completing your polishing step.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the input everyone. That is why I ask first. You go to these big shows such as Carlisle and you get different answers from each of the Chemical vendors selling product there. That is why I wanted to join this forum. I wanted to know before hand what I was looking at.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the input everyone. That is why I ask first. You go to these big shows such as Carlisle and you get different answers from each of the Chemical vendors selling product there. That is why I wanted to join this forum. I wanted to know before hand what I was looking at.
    Congratulations on the new ride. So, is it black?
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Chemical Guys does a great job at marketing....thats about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2wookies View Post
    Chemical Guys does a great job at marketing....thats about it.
    I still like their CG Silk Shine better than any other interior protectant and I have tried all the other big names out there.

I did not like their V Line polishes but there are many of their other products that work very well.

Marketing is all part of selling products, after all we're all here on AG's site right
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

I'm more talking about the actual paint fixing products

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast