autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: McKee's 360

Post Thanks / Like

Re: McKee's 360

Quote Originally Posted by NJNinja View Post
    It rained over night, which is 5 days after I did a wash. I'm already noticing the water beading is changing. I want to keep an eye on it and see what happens without using the Hydro Blue on top of the 360.
    Beading on the paint is changing for the better? Given it was previously really bad.

2. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Update 6/18 (5 weeks):
    I’ve washed 3-4 times with Hyperwash since the last update. Last wash being tonight. Car lives outside these days. Driven 10-20 miles per day. I stopped tracking the front half-roof (topped it), but the back roof remains in-glossed in any way until I see some bad behavior. Behavior is still pretty good at this point. It hasn’t really lost any performance in my opinion since week 2. Slow and steady. Not overly impressive beading but that’s expected. Definitely still beading though and protection is still good. Go figure.

Pics taken at around 1, 2, 4 and 6 seconds after hose turn off. This is ‘flat’ spray which has become my new favorite for car washes.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m surprised. It must be the contaminants in the air over here that degrades it so fast.

Post Thanks / Like

After a heavy rain today.

6. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Beading on the paint is changing for the better? Given it was previously really bad.

Beads got larger after last rain. I washed it again with Meguiar's soap. It's going to rain at some point today so I'm curious how it does as the Hydro Blue continues to wear off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    After a heavy rain today.
    About what mine look like. Mine are a tad worse.

Post Thanks / Like

About what mine look like. Mine are a tad worse.
    Still not happy with this type of beading?

If so, you should either get a sealant that you don’t mind updating regularly (every month or two?), or a ceramic spray sealant updating regularly or try a coating. The beads on my roof are pretty typical of a generic, couple month old sealant. Maybe a bit worse since this is an AIO, but the beads generally get flat with traditional sealants as they age.

Post Thanks / Like

Props for sticking it out. Kind of curious what mine would have looked like if I let it keep going.

11. Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Question, how long would have to wait for the AIO to completely wear off before starting fresh with something new? I'm trying to avoid having to polish it. I'd rather just let it wear off, clay and start over. I'm also considering a spray wax/sio2 to put on top. Hydro doesn't seem to work well with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Question, how long would have to wait for the AIO to completely wear off before starting fresh with something new? I'm trying to avoid having to polish it. I'd rather just let it wear off, clay and start over. I'm also considering a spray wax/sio2 to put on top. Hydro doesn't seem to work well with it.
    You asked the magic question that your thread was trying to uncover. I had mentioned that my father’s car came back to me at 6 months and still had beading, not great but appeared to still be protected.

There’s numerous ways to kill an aged sealant. If you have any IPA or paint stripper, that should do the trick along with claying. Or alone should remove it. There’s also alkaline prep soaps, paint cleaners, etc., but I assume you don’t have these. A polish itself could be used as a paint cleaner simply by quickly spreading over the car with minimal working it in.

I’m telling you way too much for the sake of info. Just clay thoroughly and if you don’t have IPA maybe you want to consider it as it will make the surface free of oils and stuff that will impact your Hydro Blue or other SiO2 products you want to use after. Or get Klean Strip Prep-All as an IPA substitute. Others here can let you know a good IPA ratio if you go that route.

14. Thanks CleanIT thanked for this post
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast