autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pick my pads, PLEASE - White BMW - Sonax PF

Quote Originally Posted by mvolps22 View Post
    I don't want all that crap in my garage though, that's way too many options. Trying to keep it simple and not going for perfect correction, it's my daily driver and I just want it to look clean and glossy. Just by polishing and washing it a few times a month it it's going to look better than 95% of the cars on the road.
    Then you need LC pads.

6 of each to save you from pad saturation and buying more.

I applaud your take on the matter. DD, not a show car.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ll make this as simple as possible for you after reading all of this thread. Get some LC Hydro Tech Tangerine pads. They will cut and finish great for you.

Single 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Hydro-Tech Tangerine Ultra Polishing Foam Pad

They have a 3 pack available also.

The HT pads work amazing on an 8mm throw free spinning DA as yours. The only downfall is they do not have the super durability of other pads but being you are only using this a limited amount of times, I feel they will be about your best answer with your current requirements for buffing pads.
    Jim

3. Likes SNP209 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

I've officially put my mind in a blender looking at all the pad choices. I've put about a dozen different pads in my cart only to change my mind on which ones I need.

I have an alpine white BMW, Sonax PF, and a Harbor Freight DA.

What pads should I use?
    I get wanting to keep it simple, I type this a lot on this forum and say it all the time.

KISS = Keep it Simple Simon

Don't turn something that should be easy into Rocket Science.

I believe the HF polisher comes with a 6" backing plate? If so, just be sure to get 6" or 6"5 pads. These tend to be fairly large pads for the HF polisher to maintain pad rotation, so be sure to mark the sides of your pads to make it EASY for your EYES to monitor pad rotation. If the pad ain't rotating you ain't doing anything but wasting time.

This how-to article has more information in it that a year's worth of reading on any other social media platform.

How to use the Harbor Freight Polisher to remove swirls and scratches

Has links to 5" backing plates. I'm not going to tell you how to spend your money but one thing I tell everyone that buys any free spinning random orbital polisher, (an brand), and that's what the HF polisher is - is to START OUT by swaping to a 5" backing plate so you then INVEST your pad dollars in SMALLER pads instead of building up a supply of huge pads.

That said, I'll make a pad recommendation for 6" backing plates below.

I don't want all that crap in my garage though, that's way too many options. Trying to keep it simple and not going for perfect correction, it's my daily driver and I just want it to look clean and glossy. Just by polishing it once and washing it a few times a month it it's going to look better than 95% of the cars on the road.
    You have thought this through and came to a wise decision and process. You could make it even simpler by using a great one-step product instead of using a 2-step approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post

I’ll make this as simple as possible for you after reading all of this thread. Get some LC Hydro Tech Tangerine pads. They will cut and finish great for you.

Single 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Hydro-Tech Tangerine Ultra Polishing Foam Pad

I agree with everything you wrote Jim but my experience is closed-cell phone pads have less tensile strength and thus tear easier and thus don't last as long. This is why I never use them anymore. I remember when they first came out and I like them because they were thin and cool looking. But in my experience, they simply don't last as long as an open cell pad.

Here's an article I wrote when Lake Country first introduced their Hydro-Tech pads. Hydro meaning WATER and the implication has been, or is that because they are closed cell they will not load up with liquids as fast as an open cell style of phone and while this may be true - it's irrelevant because they will still fill up with liquid. Just use the same pad on an entire hood and then feel it and you'll feel or see that the liquid in the compound, polish or cleaner/wax you're using will have penetrated INTO the foam regardless of the tiny little membranes sealing the cell wall structure of the foam.

BUT NOW - because they are closed-cell, it will me a lot more difficult to get the liquid junk out of them. A double edged sword.

I actually cover this in my how-to book,k, The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine on page 72 and 73

Quote Originally Posted by The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine

Elasticity - Tensile Strength

Elasticity is another way of referring to the tensile strength of foam.

Tensile strength is a measurement of how far foam will stretch before it will tear.

Open cell foam pads tend to have higher tensile straights than closed cell foam.

Example: Hydro-Tech pads (closed cell foam), have lower tensile strength and will tear and wear more easily than Lake Country CCS pads and/or Lake Country flat face foam pads, both of which are open cell foam.

Do they work great! You bet.

Do they last as long as an open cell pad in the same circumstances? No, at least not in my experience.

Remember, whenever we're all using orbital polishers of any type, at HIGH SPEED the action from the tool to the pad is a VIOLENT action - it will wear pads and even backing plates out over time.

5. Thanks yello430 thanked for this post
    Likes yello430 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Pad recommendation?

For the SONAX Perfect Finish, a really nice medium cut polish, actually formulated specifically for use with rotary polishers but I've always had great luck using with orbital polishers, I'd recommend any flat faced foam POLISHING pad.

Not cutting, not finishing, but right in that sweet spot in-between a foam polishing pad and there's zillions to choose from.

The RUPES yellow pads are foam "polishing" pads and are great general use pad for just about any compound, polish or cleaner/wax on just about any tool. I like them on the CBEAST and even the G9

But first - make sure of the backing plate size on your HF polisher before you buy pads. If it is in fact a 6" backing plate, if you want to use RUPES yellow pads, you'll have to buy the RUPES 7" pads as the 6" pads have too small of a Velcro backing on the back of the pad to enable them to fit properly on a 6" backing plate.

Been there done all this in my life. I don't make recommendations on whims.

If you don't want to change backing plates, then look at these THIN 6.5" pads

This first pad is called a foam cutting pad but in my experience, once it gets a little wet with any product it becomes less aggressive and is more like a foam "polishing" pad.

Griots Garage BOSS 6.5 inch Orange Correcting Pad

Great all purpose pad

Meguiars 6 Inch DA Foam Polishing Disc

Great all purpose pad

6.5 Inch ThinPro White Polishing Pad (Single)

The above are all the new style of THIN foam pads which makes them rotate well on weak polishers.

Hope that helps....

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for chiming in Mike. I bought a 3" and 5" backing plate, I'll go ahead and buy the RUPES yellow pads in 6" and 4".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Pad recommendation?

For the SONAX Perfect Finish, a really nice medium cut polish, actually formulated specifically for use with rotary polishers but I've always had great luck using with orbital polishers, I'd recommend any flat faced foam POLISHING pad.

Not cutting, not finishing, but right in that sweet spot in-between a foam polishing pad and there's zillions to choose from.

The RUPES yellow pads are foam "polishing" pads and are great general use pad for just about any compound, polish or cleaner/wax on just about any tool. I like them on the CBEAST and even the G9

But first - make sure of the backing plate size on your HF polisher before you buy pads. If it is in fact a 6" backing plate, if you want to use RUPES yellow pads, you'll have to buy the RUPES 7" pads as the 6" pads have too small of a Velcro backing on the back of the pad to enable them to fit properly on a 6" backing plate.

Been there done all this in my life. I don't make recommendations on whims.

If you don't want to change backing plates, then look at these THIN 6.5" pads

This first pad is called a foam cutting pad but in my experience, once it gets a little wet with any product it becomes less aggressive and is more like a foam "polishing" pad.

Griots Garage BOSS 6.5 inch Orange Correcting Pad

Great all purpose pad

Meguiars 6 Inch DA Foam Polishing Disc

Great all purpose pad

6.5 Inch ThinPro White Polishing Pad (Single)

The above are all the new style of THIN foam pads which makes them rotate well on weak polishers.

Hope that helps....

What all in one or one step polish (not sure the correct name for polish) would you recommend for an orbital? Or does the sonax pf work good with an orbital?

I have similarities with the op...gg6 with good/great shape paint but looking for a do it all polish before a coating. Was eyeing up the perfect finish or maybe something like Gyeon Primer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Whipped500 View Post
    What all in one or one step polish (not sure the correct name for polish) would you recommend for an orbital? Or does the sonax pf work good with an orbital?

I have similarities with the op...gg6 with good/great shape paint but looking for a do it all polish before a coating. Was eyeing up the perfect finish or maybe something like Gyeon Primer.
    Definitely not an all in one then, can’t coat after using that.
    If your car really is in great shape use the Primer (if coating with Gyeon) or Essence (if coating with CQuartz). They both can fix minor defects and will clean the paint up and make it ready for the coating.
    Perfect finish would correct more than the primer ones but if the paint is already great no need to cut a little more than you need to.
    I personally used Essence with Rupes yellow pads. Really like how Essence is nice to work with.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Definitely not an all in one then, can’t coat after using that.
    If your car really is in great shape use the Primer (if coating with Gyeon) or Essence (if coating with CQuartz). They both can fix minor defects and will clean the paint up and make it ready for the coating.
    Perfect finish would correct more than the primer ones but if the paint is already great no need to cut a little more than you need to.
    I personally used Essence with Rupes yellow pads. Really like how Essence is nice to work with.
    Correct, not an AIO wax, I meant an AIO polish...not positive but think the term I'm looking for is a one step polish?

Not going to be using a Gyeon or Cquartz coating, leaning towards 22ple so not sure how primer or essence would play...that's why I was leaning towards PF.

Post Thanks / Like

Perfect finish works fine on a DA. May get a little dust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Whipped500 View Post
    Correct, not an AIO wax, I meant an AIO polish...not positive but think the term I'm looking for is a one step polish?

Not going to be using a Gyeon or Cquartz coating, leaning towards 22ple so not sure how primer or essence would play...that's why I was leaning towards PF.
    It’s just a polish then and you’ll do a one step which means a single step of polish done to the car, not like a 2 step that would usually be a compound and then polish afterwards.

PF will work well for you.
    Bruno Soares

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast