autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Remove swirls by hand

Hello folks,

NYC apartment dweller here, currently under lock down, planning for working on the cars once things improve a bit.

Last year, with help from folks on the board, for the first time, I detailed my cars using Klasse twins and it turned out way better than I expected. It gave me protection over road salt assault during the winter. The winter wasn't that bad so it saw less salt than it would have otherwise, but the protection looks like wearing off now.

I am planning to work on the swirls of my older car. There is no way I will be able to fix it completely with very limited resources (like no access to running water or electricity in the apt parking lot), still I would like to give it a go to see how well/if I can improve anything at all.

I searched the board and most threads assume that you would be using a DA polisher. I can't (no electricity), so what products I can use to do this job?

Extra credit - A part of the bumper paint has started to oxidize. The car is blue in color so oxidized paint is an eye soar. Is there any product or combination of products (compound+polish) that I can use to fix oxidized paint as well as to remove the swirls.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Remove swirls by hand

Honestly polishing by hand is very very hard and time consuming. Is a Flex cordless polisher an option for you? I know they are pricy but they are great tools.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

No, Flex polisher is not an option. I am not even close to an amateur or own any fancy cars so such investment does not make sense at the moment.

I checked some YouTube videos that claimed to good to be true results so before going down that road, I thought I should check with the professionals, if such option exists.

Post Thanks / Like

A cleaner wax may be a better option.
    Doing a light polish might be okay by hand but anything with more cut may lead to a bunch of holograms and circles on the paint.
    Getting even, consistent pressure by hand is something only Zen masters may be able to accomplish.
    Are you a certified Ninja??

Post Thanks / Like

In that case I would agree with Spazzz. A good quality cleaner wax will improve the paint a lot working by hand. It’s not going to be perfect but you will see a noticeable difference if you take you time.

2 products that work great by hand in the All in one category are:

3D Speed: 3D HD Speed

Blackfire One Step: BLACKFIRE One Step 16 oz.

These may also dolce the bumper oxidation issue or at least improve if.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Hey SixZee, apartment dweller here too!

By hand is terrible haha, recently did my Miata with DP All-In-One Polish and Seal, with good results. Keep in mind you’re gonna need a few hours on the paint cleaning/polishing step and a big meal before. Be sure to plan for the time it’ll take and aim to get it all done at once, if you stop it may be hard to get going again because it is quite strenuous and takes some will power to continue.

I recommend using some microfiber pads(round or square doesn’t matter) since they will give a bit more polishing power over foam pads and either an AIO Polish or Megs Ultimate Polish and protection product of your choice. I didn’t get a ton of swirls out and I was working on 30 year old paint, some soft, some repaint base/clear, single stage cleaned up a lot better than base/clear.

Just know the paint won’t be perfect, you’ll probably get about 25% correction if you’re dealing with only fine swirls, but plus side is, the paint will be greatly enhanced with more depth and gloss!
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

7. Likes Dr Oldz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is an article you can reference working by hand. Not an easy task but it can be done.

Make sure to take some sort of pain reliever because your arms are going to feel like they are going to fall off.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...s-machine.html

Post Thanks / Like

I’m not sure what kind of bumper you gave but perhaps you can replace a panel. I had rust on my truck bumper and I polished it out. The rust came back a few days later. I ended up buying a new panel from Amazon and the problem was solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I believe in treating everybody with respect, and clean cars. That’s what I believe in.

Post Thanks / Like

"work on the swirls of my older car"
    "A part of the bumper has started to oxidize."

Just for clarity, how old is your older car? Base coat, clear coat or single stage? Make of car?

Not trying to be nosy. It matters if your starting to have clear coat failure. You don't want to polish if you are. Just paint cleaner and sealant would be best (Klasse twins).

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfan View Post

"work on the swirls of my older car"
    "A part of the bumper has started to oxidize."

Just for clarity, how old is your older car? Base coat, clear coat or single stage? Make of car?

This is my question too, need just a tick more information.

My guess? Probably a modern car with basecoat/clearcoat paint and the paint on the bumper isn't oxidized it has failed, or as we say, the paint has clearcoat failure.

Most frond and rear bumper covers are urethane, a flexible plastic, and the paint on these areas, especially the horizontal surfaces, don't hold up well over time. So they get clearcoat failure.

Now if it was in fact and "old car" with single stage lacquer or enamel paint, THEN it would be oxidation and EASILY fixed by just about anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast