autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1 year coating for Midwest winter salt?

Quote Originally Posted by Whipped500 View Post
    Waiting too long before wiping off?
    Not wiping off enough?
    Basically from these two. It’s easy to push a little coating over to an adjacent panel while doing the initial wipe, and then not get it fully removed before it cures.

Good lighting is the key. Check your work with an inspection light as you go and you’ll be just fine.

No need to be intimidated just go for it.
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    High spots will happen just don't worry about it. It is part of the learning process.

Installing a Ceramic Paint Coating? You MUST have a GREAT hand held light to avoid high spots!
    LOL, you've told me this a few times... maybe I should start listening!

Let me ask you this then and I know we are two different climates but do think I would be fine with the CanCoat (1 or 2) in the spring and then another in the fall before winter for the salt belt I'm in? Or would I be better with a full fledged coating?

If actual coating, which do you recommend? I have been researching CQUK 3.0 and gtech csl exo and just started looking into Kamikaze.

Again, thank you so much for your knowledge and help!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerRivFan View Post
    Basically from these two. It’s easy to push a little coating over to an adjacent panel while doing the initial wipe, and then not get it fully removed before it cures.

Good lighting is the key. Check your work with an inspection light as you go and you’ll be just fine.

Thanks, this makes me a little more comfortable. I was always thinking it was from the application process.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerRivFan View Post

I've been looking around for inspection lights for machine polishing. I thought i had everything i needed...

Anyhow, any suggestions on a lower end inspection light i can get at a local hardware store? Seems 100-200 lumens are best for paint correction/coating? I'll be doing everything outside.

Zero interest in throwing down another chunk of cash on a scangrip type light. This hobby is getting ridiculous lol next i'll be using treated water...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    I'll be doing everything outside.
    Hmmm, lighting would be low on my list of concerns then if you’re working outdoors. I personally would not recommend doing a coating outside.

As far as an inspection light, anything that helps to illuminate the panel so you can see if there are any darker shaded areas (i.e. “high spots”) will work.

Good luck.
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

Post Thanks / Like

I've been looking around for inspection lights for machine polishing. I thought i had everything i needed...

Anyhow, any suggestions on a lower end inspection light i can get at a local hardware store? Seems 100-200 lumens are best for paint correction/coating? I'll be doing everything outside.

Zero interest in throwing down another chunk of cash on a scangrip type light. This hobby is getting ridiculous lol next i'll be using treated water...
    Harbor Freight has a light similar to scan grips. Google "Braun color match light", I wanna say its around $50?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Whipped500 View Post
    So next dumb question then!
    I've looked but can't seem to find it.

High spots are what is scaring me...where do they come from?
    Is it missing spots when applying?
    Waiting too long before wiping off?
    Not wiping off enough?

If from not wiping off enough, I wouldn't feel so bad then, I would just go overboard on the amount of towels. Rather than the recommended 2 I would use 3 or 4.
    You probably want even more towels. I swap them often because when they start to get loaded they just smear coating around and that's how you end up with a high spot. The towel touches an adjacent panel and you're left with a high spot. I think I used 12 towels while doing 2 coats of UK3.0 on my car. Then used 6 more the next day while doing 1 coat of Gliss v2.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

I sent you a PM.
    Bruno Soares

9. Likes noorth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Badger. Someone who has done lots of coating applications probably know how to deal with various, changing, and unpredictable environments. But as someone who has only installed a half dozen or so, a controlled environment I think is essential. Dust, pollen, a little rain, all would be issues to avoid if at all possible.

Everyone who ever installed a coating did it for the first time once. I'd bet most were exceptionally successful, but few were perfect the first time. A high spot on your own car shouldn't be anything to worry about. If someone is paying you, it might be a bit of a different story...

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a tight fitting car cover to keep the car dry/clean. Thanks guys. Sorry whipped for the hijack lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast