autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

1 year coating for Midwest winter salt?

Let me first off say that I'm sorry and will stop with all the dumb questions after this...I am just going crazy being out of work so I just keep researching which makes me go back and forth.

On to my question...I have 2 vehicles with really good finishes on them already that I would only need to prep with something like Gyeon Primer or Sonax Perfect Finish I think (GM paint/clear)? I want to do both vehicles but one will be used year round so it will see winter/salt!

My original plan was to do a complete decon, polish etc once a spring and coat with CanCoat. Then in fall, apply another coat of CanCoat...will the CanCoat make it through the winter?

I have been turned on to CanCoat because of its ease of use. I've never used a coating and I'm not going to lie, I'm still worried about screwing up with CanCoat! The year round truck is silver so hopefully not see the high spots as much if I end up with some? The other that won't see winter is gray metallic. If I'm going through the prep, I want to make sure the spring/fall application of CanCoat will make it through the winter?

If not, do I just bite the bullet and stop being a baby and move up to Cquartz lite or UK 3.0 or something else? I would prefer to go the CanCoat route if possible but if I'm going to go through all the prep, I want to make sure it will get through the winter. I should also add that at the moment I'm not looking for 2 year coating...1 year or a little more should do it.

I always over think everything so sorry for that! I would love to hear thoughts or experiences.

Thanks

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1 year coating for Midwest winter salt?

Quote Originally Posted by Whipped500 View Post
    Let me first off say that I'm sorry and will stop with all the dumb questions after this...I am just going crazy being out of work so I just keep researching which makes me go back and forth.
    LOL i'm basically in your boat dude

I'm also looking for something to last 12-14mths and through the 2020/21 winter. I pulled the trigger on CQUK3 personally, not sure what to apply in the fall. Leaning towards tac moonlight.

Interested in the replies!

3. Thanks jeffb thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If I am going through the work of thoroughly prepping I want the maximum bang for buck.
    Why mess around with a lite .

I picked UK3 and Gliss. This was after using Optimum Gloss Coat on 5 different cars to see the results.
    I did 3 family cars with CQUK3 and 1 with last syringe of Gloss Coat this year.
    We had a mild winter this year but CQUK performed better than Gloss Coat would have and did.

5. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: 1 year coating for Midwest winter salt?

My original plan was to do a complete decon, polish etc once a spring and coat with CanCoat. Then in fall, apply another coat of CanCoat...will the CanCoat make it through the winter?
    Don't mean to be unhelpful but why worry about it lasting perfectly through the winter? I'm also in the midwest so I get your concern, there's some weird gunk that can accumulate throughout the year. Just today I did a decon, wash, clay, and quick AIO and had zero problems at all.

If you're doing a light polish in the spring you'll have a clean slate regardless; I'd guess just about any coating you can buy here should be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had Csl & Exo last thru 1 Michigan winter no problem. When I removed it after 1 year (because i get bored and want to change up) it was showing no signs of failure.
    GTechniq EXO and CSL Kit

P.S. don't worry about all "the dumb questions". I've been here since '11 and still ask "dumb" questions. People here are patient and helpful. That's why I stick around
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

8. Likes Misterpaul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
    If I am going through the work of thoroughly prepping I want the maximum bang for buck.
    Why mess around with a lite .

I picked UK3 and Gliss. This was after using Optimum Gloss Coat on 5 different cars to see the results.
    I did 3 family cars with CQUK3 and 1 with last syringe of Gloss Coat this year.
    We had a mild winter this year but CQUK performed better than Gloss Coat would have and did.
    The reason I've been looking at a lite is because of ease (hopefully) of use. I've never done a coating, but just as you said about doing all the prep is why I am second guessing a lite.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailZeus View Post
    Don't mean to be unhelpful but why worry about it lasting perfectly through the winter? I'm also in the midwest so I get your concern, there's some weird gunk that can accumulate throughout the year. Just today I did a decon, wash, clay, and quick AIO and had zero problems at all.

If you're doing a light polish in the spring you'll have a clean slate regardless; I'd guess just about any coating you can buy here should be fine.
    Not unhelpful at all... your idea may have been something I never thought of. I want it to last because I want to do as little polishing or for the polishing to be as easy as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoyt66 View Post
    I've had Csl & Exo last thru 1 Michigan winter no problem. When I removed it after 1 year (because i get bored and want to change up) it was showing no signs of failure.
    GTechniq EXO and CSL Kit

P.S. don't worry about all "the dumb questions". I've been here since '11 and still ask "dumb" questions. People here are patient and helpful. That's why I stick around
    Thanks for the PS part! I feel bad sometimes because I try to research as much as I can before I ask something because I hate it when someone asks something that they could have figured out if they took a minute to look... I've literally seen it (as I'm sure everyone has) where someone starts a thread about something and the thread before it is the same.

Post Thanks / Like

So next dumb question then!
    I've looked but can't seem to find it.

High spots are what is scaring me...where do they come from?
    Is it missing spots when applying?
    Waiting too long before wiping off?
    Not wiping off enough?

If from not wiping off enough, I wouldn't feel so bad then, I would just go overboard on the amount of towels. Rather than the recommended 2 I would use 3 or 4.

Post Thanks / Like

So next dumb question then!
    I've looked but can't seem to find it.

High spots are what is scaring me...where do they come from?
    Is it missing spots when applying?
    Waiting too long before wiping off?
    Not wiping off enough?

If from not wiping off enough, I wouldn't feel so bad then, I would just go overboard on the amount of towels. Rather than the recommended 2 I would use 3 or 4.
    High spots will happen just don't worry about it. It is part of the learning process.

Installing a Ceramic Paint Coating? You MUST have a GREAT hand held light to avoid high spots!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast