autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Interior wheel cleaner suggestions

Any suggestions for a wheel cleaner (and/or cleaning method) to use on the interior area of painted aluminum wheels?

1. Smooth painted areas
    2. Rougher areas on the inside of the spokes
    3. Area that interfaces with the brake rotor

The winter just leaves them looking nasty ......... and we even had a mild winter. The area that interfaces with the brake rotor is also oxidized.

I would like to give the insides a thorough cleaning and then put on a wheel specific ceramic coating - in hopes that a ceramic coating can help keep them cleaner between washes.

I have done the following previously:

1. Meguiar's Ultimate All Wheel Cleaner - the stuff that changes color, and agitate with a brush
    2. Griot's wheel clay ...... but I did not clay for more than 10 minutes per wheel

Has anyone had success removing this kind of grime pictured with Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus?

Interior wheel cleaner suggestions-image3-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Interior wheel cleaner suggestions

I would give polishing a try.
    You can do it by hand, it will just take awhile.
    You could give Meguiars Ultimate Compound a try and see what happens. It would be a safer way than chemicals.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
    I would give polishing a try.
    You can do it by hand, it will just take awhile.
    You could give Meguiars Ultimate Compound a try and see what happens. It would be a safer way than chemicals.
    Compounding is an option for the smooth wheel parts, but probably not appropriate for the "rough" surfaces on the inside of the spokes, or to remove the oxidation on the brake rotor/wheel interface area. I would think that chemicals would be a faster option for those two areas.

One thing that I do like about the compounding suggestion ........ is that I have recently been looking at acquiring a Griot's G8 Mini Random Orbital Polisher for other tasks. This sounds like more justification to get one.

Post Thanks / Like

I see your point.
    If I was stuck without another wheel cleaner at the moment I would try a polish to see what would happen.
    I have Sonax, D143, Brake Buster and Megs wheel brightener, maybe even Tar-X as possible. I would try polishing after those if still present, which would really suck if it was.

Is that semi-mettalic brake pad dust?

As far as the hub mating surface,you need to use a wire brush and a thin coat of ant-seize if the wheels stay on the car for more than a year.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
    I see your point.
    If I was stuck without another wheel cleaner at the moment I would try a polish to see what would happen.
    I have Sonax, D143, Brake Buster and Megs wheel brightener, maybe even Tar-X as possible. I would try polishing after those if still present, which would really suck if it was.

Is that semi-mettalic brake pad dust?

As far as the hub mating surface,you need to use a wire brush and a thin coat of ant-seize if the wheels stay on the car for more than a year.

I thought that I installed ceramic front brake pads last time, but I just checked my maintenance records and did not record the brake pad details. Coincidentally, I just installed new front brake pads and rotors today, and used factory parts this time.

I would call it "general rust belt winter muck".

The wheels were off today, due to maintenance, and I tried some Chemical Guys Diablo wheel cleaner - the red stuff that smells nice. I forgot that I had it, but stumbled across it this morning. It did not do a darn thing to the staining.

I decided to try acetone, and bingo, the muck came right off! I did not have time for a full detail, so I just put on a layer of synthetic paint sealant as a temporary barrier.

Mike Phillips

Maybe I didn't see it, but are you removing the wheels or trying to do this type of work with the wheels on?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Maybe I didn't see it, but are you removing the wheels or trying to do this type of work with the wheels on?

Yes, the wheels would be removed.

My original image was with the wheel installed though, just for simplicity to acquire the image.

Due to time constraints, I will probably have to remove 1 wheel at a time for a full detail to include a ceramic wheel coating. That will obviously take a few days to complete.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I needed to clean another set of wheel barrels that were covered in "muck" - worse than the original post. Several different wheel cleaners that I have will remove the dirt, but the "muck" remains. After the dirt is removed, it looks like a stain. Previously I used acetone, but the "muck" on these wheels was more stubborn, and it required a lot of elbow grease to remove even with acetone. Before completing the first wheel, I decided to try something else and it worked well: straight Castrol Super Clean and a melamine sponge. Wow! This worked much better than acetone. They still need some additional work, but the "muck" is gone.

Interior wheel cleaner suggestions-before-jpgInterior wheel cleaner suggestions-after-jpg