autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic vs. Wax - Can We Cut To The Chase?

I’m talking about the DIY ceramic application not the process done by the dealer when you first buy the car.

Never applied ceramic before so doing my research. Ok, so forget most of the benefits about ceramic coating like a hard shell around your car, protection from tree sap, longer time between application, easier to was the car, etc. I’m interested one thing - Shine! So here is the question:

- Lets say you applied one half of your car with a ceramic coating like, oh say, Meguiar’s ceramic product and the other half of of the car with Meguiars best wax product and then you drove your car up my driveway. When I go out to greet you would I be able to tell the difference?

and as a follow up-

If the answer to the first part is - yes the wax would be shinier, could you then apply wax to the ceramic side and throw the remaining ceramic in the trash can never to be used again? Would you have to remove the ceramic first?

I know I’m over-simplifying it but remember I’m only interested in shine for now.

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic vs. Wax - Can We Cut To The Chase?

If the paint was prepped correctly you would not be able to tell the difference between the two sides.

Although a good wax will give you that deep glow and ceramic/sealants will give you more of a hard candy shine..I prefer ceramic coating for durability and ease of cleaning.

If your after shine, polishing is the first step. The LSP (last step product) is only 10-15% of the total shine.

Post Thanks / Like

Any type of protection applied at the dealership is going to be worthless because they do not have the time to properly prep each vehicle.. often they don't even apply anything special to the paintwork at all. Mostly you are buying a warranty.

95% of the final appearance of the paintwork (gloss, clarity, shine, etc.) is a result of the prep work, paint correction, and final polishing done prior to applying any protective treatments. If the entire vehicle is prepped correctly, and to the highest standards, you likely will not be able to notice a significant difference between any number of waxes, sealants, or ceramic coatings in a side-by-side comparison.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

In the short time I’ve been really detailing my car, a good high quality wax is glassy looking and ceramic is glossy, although we’re probably splitting hairs!

I will say the durability of a high quality wax is around 2-3 months (depending on environment) whereas ceramics are much longer.

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention that both sides would be clayed before applying the ceramic and wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't matter..for maximum shine you need to polish before waxing.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So what I'm gathering so far is that If I'm expecting a shiner car with ceramic vs wax I'm wasting my money and time (and I still don't know the difference between "glossy" and "shine").

The 2nd part deals with waxing over the ceramic. Can it be done without messing anything up? Do I need to have the ceramic removed first?

Post Thanks / Like

Prep is everything. I'm a weekend warrior so take this with a grain of salt but I've always looked at wax/sealant vs ceramic (not spray on and hose off, actual coating) as skill level. I've always been scared of ceramic coatings because of the streaking and high spots I hear about if it's not done perfectly... I've never had that problem with a sealant or wax but it doesn't last as long as a coating.

What is looking promising to me is the Wolfgang Uber ceramic spray coating. I'm not sure how it will hold up since it's new and nobody has been able to give a long-term review but as far as shine/gloss, ease of use, it looks good to me! This might be something you want to look into?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alnuman View Post
    So what I'm gathering so far is that If I'm expecting a shiner car with ceramic vs wax I'm wasting my money and time (and I still don't know the difference between "glossy" and "shine").

The 2nd part deals with waxing over the ceramic. Can it be done without messing anything up? Do I need to have the ceramic removed first?

Glossy and shine is pretty much the same. Glossy to some means the paint has a deep wet look and shine means it's very reflective.

Yes you can wax over your ceramic coating, but it will change the water behavior that makes a coating so easy to clean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alnuman View Post
    I'm wasting my money and time
    Money maybe. Not time. You’ll have to wax every 3-6 months at a minimum to have the same level of protection.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast