autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: How to Remove Staining in Original Single Stage Lacquer Paint-HELP!

If you can, try to take some good pictures showing these stains in the paint.

I'll use them in my water spots article - could help others in the future.

It can be a tricky shot to get

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

OK Mike. I will work on that this weekend and see what I can get for you!

Thanks!

Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Cool car! I performed a paint restoration on one recently, I don’t see a lot of these around. I was surprised at how tough the paint was, it took a two step process, cutting with microfiber and finishing down with foamHow to Remove Staining in Original Single Stage Lacquer Paint-HELP!-fd7cd5b3-8f81-4291-a625-9b812609edee-jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    This is a common problem for older single stage paints and sorry to say there's simply not much you can do.

In fact - I would say the only thing you can do is the #7 Rub Down.

Hi Mike and to the Group,

Just following up on your last piece of advice. I have done a week long, multiple soak of #7 on my Corvair, and then followed up with the Pinnacle Souveran wax.

Very happy with the gloss, and I now can see clear and crisp reflections on the paint surface.

One question: I do have some slight scratches in the paint surface that you can see. The worst of them can be felt slightly be dragging a fingernail across them.

Some of the surfaces which have the scratches are still in good condition. While some are found on surfaces which have some light crazing in it, especially the rear deck lid where the engine is.

Is there a recommendation that you others here might have as to what could be used to remove or lessen some of these scratches? I realize due to paint thickness and or crazing, there might not be anything I can do....but maybe there is a product and method that might work?

Any ideas, folks?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Thompson View Post
    Hi Mike and to the Group,

Just following up on your last piece of advice. I have done a week long, multiple soak of #7 on my Corvair, and then followed up with the Pinnacle Souveran wax.

Very happy with the gloss, and I now can see clear and crisp reflections on the paint surface.

One question: I do have some slight scratches in the paint surface that you can see. The worst of them can be felt slightly be dragging a fingernail across them.

Some of the surfaces which have the scratches are still in good condition. While some are found on surfaces which have some light crazing in it, especially the rear deck lid where the engine is.

Is there a recommendation that you others here might have as to what could be used to remove or lessen some of these scratches? I realize due to paint thickness and or crazing, there might not be anything I can do....but maybe there is a product and method that might work?

Any ideas, folks?
    Too risky in my opinion. Live with the scratches.

You can only have original paint once.

If you have intentions of restoring and repainting in the future then maybe it's worth the risk. If not, leave it alone.

My recommendations are based solely on your description. If I could see the defects first-hand, I might change my mind. Nevertheless, take one thing I said as gospel... You can only have original paint once... There's no going back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12