autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I thought "Thin was in".... Maybe not?

That’s why you apply sealants and waxes with the polisher. So much easier to get full coverage while also keeping it thin. And takes very little time to cover the entire car.
    Bruno Soares

2. Likes PaulMys, BillE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A little goes a very long way with hi-def. The only bad thing is it is hard to see when thin. Take a flashlight and bounce it off at an angle to help see it. I'll do this to make sure I don't miss any spots when removing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Cover it thin, have a beer, and clear your head.
    Cant! lol

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    That’s why you apply sealants and waxes with the polisher. So much easier to get full coverage while also keeping it thin. And takes very little time to cover the entire car.
    True but its so much quicker on a whim to say whatever, going out with the bottle and a pad...

Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    A little goes a very long way with hi-def. The only bad thing is it is hard to see when thin. Take a flashlight and bounce it off at an angle to help see it. I'll do this to make sure I don't miss any spots when removing.
    for sure. honestly loved it and the slickness was crazy. Depending how it performs, I think Im going to start clearing out stuff...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    I get the polisher argument, but I respectively disagree. (As I have in other threads, and even Mike P himself would disagree with me).

The polisher application of wax/sealant is GREAT on big panels.

However, I have found that the time it takes to machine apply the product, set the machine down, then hand apply where the machine cannot reach, greatly increases the time spent applying it.

I am confident I can apply a thin layer of wax by my own hand to large, smaller, narrow, and little "Nooks" over a whole vehicle in way less time.

And, there is just that intimacy factor of going over every inch of your prized car or truck by hand.

JMO. Fire away! Lol
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I tried applying a LSP by machine once and didn’t like it. Besides, I like to “molest” my paint. He he.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh View Post
    for sure. honestly loved it and the slickness was crazy. Depending how it performs, I think Im going to start clearing out stuff...
    I know AG doesn't carry it anymore, but I don't think I'll be trying anything else for a while. I applied late last fall. I'm still getting some beading.

Post Thanks / Like

I get the polisher argument, but I respectively disagree. (As I have in other threads, and even Mike P himself would disagree with me).

However, I have found that the time it takes to machine apply the product, set the machine down, then hand apply where the machine cannot reach, greatly increases the time spent applying it.

I am confident I can apply a thin layer of wax by my own hand to large, smaller, narrow, and little "Nooks" over a whole vehicle in way less time.

And, there is just that intimacy factor of going over every inch of your prized car or truck by hand.

JMO. Fire away! Lol
    Personally I prefer machine application. I think this is a user’s choice. Really no right or wrong IMO.

You do make some valid points about a big polisher unable to hit smaller areas. As of lately, I have been using my Flex PiXiE to apply LSPs. Although it takes just a hair longer on large panels, it certainly is nice using a smaller machine for the tighter areas.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Def is great, you will like it a ton, it’s on the sealant wall of fame.

Post Thanks / Like

JMO. Fire away! Lol
    ^^^^This all day for me. Your last point for me is key. "there is just that intimacy factor of going over every inch of your prized car or truck by hand".
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Post Thanks / Like

JMO. Fire away! Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I agree. I tried applying a LSP by machine once and didn’t like it. Besides, I like to “molest” my paint. He he.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoyt66 View Post
    ^^^^This all day for me. Your last point for me is key. "there is just that intimacy factor of going over every inch of your prized car or truck by hand".
    I completely agree. I can’t see myself applying lsp with a polisher.. And the more I think about it alot of it has to do with the fact that applying a coat of sealant with a polisher doesn’t require a firm grip like you’d have during polishing, therefore it turns out feeling almost like an accident waiting to happen...

Am I the only 1 who thinks this way? Especially holding a polisher with 1 hand with a small 3” pad.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast