autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mike Phillips

Re: Weird discoloring on factory Tonneau, could this be from my Carpro products? Any fix?

Quote Originally Posted by zachmat View Post

Well I went out this evening like a weirdo and did a real quick spot wash, little agitation and it came out.

Sounds like whatever it was - it was water soluble.

Sometimes things that are water soluble are not cleaner or solvent soluble. It's easy to think it wouldn't matter but it does. And sometimes the simplest approach is the best approach.

When people ask for help with sticky plastic or sticky feeling steering wheels and they've tried some type of APC cleaner, I recommend going SIMPLE. Try some normal liquid hand soap and some water in a wash cloth and wipe the sticky surface down. Sometimes it works.

This is why you often see me doing waterless washes with SONAX Glass Cleaner. It's water based with cleaning ability and it doesn't leave anything behind. Works great to remove dirt off a car as well as some oily substances.

2. Thanks zachmat thanked for this post
    Likes zachmat liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weird discoloring on factory Tonneau, could this be from my Carpro products? Any fix?

We'll I spoke too soon, it appears to turn black again when wet, once it dries the discoloring is back. Back to square one. Still perplexed what the hell it is and want to keep the coating in tact and not go harsher for fear of harming the plastic. In the end its just a tonneau but my OCD its bothering me lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Wipe it down with some Eraser, possibly APC followed by Eraser. Finish with a coat of DLUX.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Wipe it down with some Eraser, possibly APC followed by Eraser. Finish with a coat of DLUX.
    But if the color persist you might want to try Solution Finish to get that 'Black' back. Then if happy then I would use the DLUX if the top was coated previously.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post
    But if the color persist you might want to try Solution Finish to get that 'Black' back. Then if happy then I would use the DLUX if the top was coated previously.
    The thing is that since it already has DLUX on it, solution finish is not going to penetrate all the way through as the coating has sealed in most of the pores. Been down this road with SF and topping it with a coating and it in the long run it does not work that well when it comes to reapply once again as SF doesn't absorb like it originally does.

Post Thanks / Like

How long has the coating been on it? I'd guess its not there anymore at all...
    ·Ï¢årµ§·

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123