autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Air Foamer vs. Foam Cannon

I have a big air compressor and a great pressure washer. I think I want to buy either an air Foamer or a foam cannon. But I cannot tell from what I’ve read which works best? I’d really appreciate any advice from this of you who have used both—or anyone with strong opinions on either. I already have a foam gun but feel like an upgrade would be good. The foam from the foam gun just doesn’t seem to stay on the panel long enough to really be effective. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Air Foamer vs. Foam Cannon

AG offers both and my experience with a cheap Air Foamer was good but NOT what I would use to do any vehicle. I used it for wheels and did create tons of foamy solution but really used up the entire container for just those four wheels. Not very efficient. Good to on engine cleaning if you do that on special vehicles.

Suggest you look into a foam cannon and I do like the Griots Garage model as it attaches to their product bottles. I have another brand MTM and have used the cheap ones from Amazon. My first pick is the GG and use it on my electric Pressure washers. Using the foam cannon is fun but still use my bucket wash methods most of the time.

3. Thanks AlwaysWantedA55 thanked for this post
    Likes AlwaysWantedA55 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post
    AG offers both and my experience with a cheap Air Foamer was good but NOT what I would use to do any vehicle. I used it for wheels and did create tons of foamy solution but really used up the entire container for just those four wheels. Not very efficient. Good to on engine cleaning if you do that on special vehicles.

Suggest you look into a foam cannon and I do like the Griots Garage model as it attaches to their product bottles. I have another brand MTM and have used the cheap ones from Amazon. My first pick is the GG and use it on my electric Pressure washers. Using the foam cannon is fun but still use my bucket wash methods most of the time.
    Thank you for this! Very helpful.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post

AG offers both and my experience with a cheap Air Foamer was good but NOT what I would use to do any vehicle.

Kirby nailed it.

An Air Foamer like the Tornador is great for small areas or engine compartments but would be impractical to try to use and cover a car with foam.

If your primary goal is to foam the exterior of cars, then get a foam CANNON.

Here's an example of what you can do with a Tornador Air Foamer

How to clean an engine compartment

The most important thing....

Tape-off and cover over ANYTHING you don't want to have to replace because it was damaged.

AND spend your time up-front doing a really good job of taping-off and covering up anything you don't want to risk damaging and then having to replace.

You can read all about how engines and engine compartments are designed to get wet and for this reason there's no risk involved when detailing an engine and the engine compartment, but when it's your engine and your time and money, you can decide what's best for you and let the other guys do it how they want to do it.

As for me?

After cleaning an engine compartment I want to turn the key, fire up the engine and have zero problems. Zero.

I like to take the time to do a really good job of tapping-off and covering up anything I don't want to get wet and risk having to either replace or simply have problems with.

I really only prefer to detail my own engines and engine compartments too. I teach 'Cosmetic Engine Detailing" in my detailing boot camp classes because this type of engine detailing is profitable for detailers and due to the amount of plastic inside modern cars, trucks and SUVs, it's usually more than enough to make a customer, (that in most cases cannot identify a single component in the engine compartment except the oil dipstick), happy.

Blow out engine compartment
    First thing you want to do is blow out the engine compartment using some manner of compressed or forced air. This is where the Metro-Vac Sidekick comes in handy as you can simply plug it in and go to town with it. One of my favorite tools in all my arsenal of tools.

Tape-off and cover any water-sensitive components
    Here's the engine compartment in my 1975 Jimmy and it's gotten a little dirty since the last time I cleaned it.

Carburetor
    The first thing I did was remove the air cleaner and poked a clean microfiber towel into the openings of the 750 Holley Carburetor. This way, if any kind of liquid gets past the tape, past the tinfoil and past the plastic, the microfiber will absorb the liquid.

HEI Distributor
    For the distributor I covered with Saran Wrap, then formed Tin Foil around the Saran Wrap and then use more 3M tape to hold the entire mess onto the distributor so when I'm brushing around it or rinsing with water it won't come off.

Alternator
    Yeah yeah yeah... everyone says it's okay to get these wet. Guess what, even if it is okay, when I'm blasting any kind off grunge off other areas I don't want it to get into the alternator. So you can leave yours uncovered but for me and my engines, I'm covering them up.

That's about it... the MSD Coil burnt out from too much engine heat so it's just on the firewall for looks. I like MSD ignitions but the stock HEI ignition system is more than adequate for a daily driver. Plus, the higher the voltage you go for your ignition, the harder the spark tries to find anywhere to jump to and this by itself can cause problems.

Spray APC or Engine Degreaser on engine and inside engine compartment
    I love the Tornador Air Foam Guns! Dang near anything you use with these guns will foam and that's true for Amazing Roll-Off...

Spray the engine and engine compartment down with your choice of all purpose cleaner, since my engine compartment isn't that dirty I'm using the Amazing Roll-Off. If your engine is really grungy, then a dedicated Engine Degreaser will work a lot better. I built this engine and installed it myself 4 years ago and it's never dripped a drop of oil so it doesn't have any oil grunge on the side of the block or anywhere.

Allow the foam to dwell
    After spraying everything down with foam a let it soak in and penetrate any dirt or oily film and then this is key,

Agitate well with a brush

Scrub with brushes
    I didn't have anyone around to take pictures of me doing all the actual dirty scrubbing parts but that's what I did next, scrubbed everything I could reach and I used a variety of different brushes to do the job.

I would say the brush I used the most and worked the best was the Speed Master Wheel Brush.

Rinse
    After agitating everything you can reach with a brush, then rinse the engine and engine compartment down using a water sprayer. Be careful not to blast anything covered up and taped off.

Blow engine dry
    After rinsing the engine, I blew it dry using the Metro-Vac Sidekick. Again no pictures but I love this tool and it really does a much better job than an air squirter and an air compressor.

Start Engine
    After blowing the engine dry, start the motor and let the motor run for about 15 minutes or so. This will warm the motor up enough to evaporate any water off the engine and out of the engine compartment and it will also vaporize any cleaning solution or other residues. This is important when detailing other people's engines because you don't want any smoke or odor coming off the engine when they pick up their car. So do this before they arrive.

Products used...

At Autogeek.net

Autogeek Z-011D Tornador Air Foamer HP

Metro Blaster SideKick

Amazing Roll-Off

Speed Master Wheel Brush

Speed Master Jr. Wheel Brush

1” Round Detailing Brush

Mothers Fender Well Brush

3M Automotive Performance Masking Tape 3 Pack

Action Time!
    Now get out there and get to cleaning your engine compartment. You can do it and of course, we can help...

p.s.

I really miss that truck...

6. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Continued....

Here's an example of cleaning a wheel.

North Miami Beach Police Mobil Command Unit - Show Car Makeover

Chris was so nice to tackle the greasy, grimy tires. Here he is using the Tornador Air Foam Gun with Blackfire APC...

Foam gives your product "dwell time" so the cleaners will cling to the surface where they can go to work dissolving and emulsifying dirt and in this case some type of greasy tire dressing.

Next Chris lets the Porter Cable do the scrubbing with a Cyclo Green Brush...

Later Chris put TUF Shine Tire Clear Coat on the tires...

The above is from 2013 - at the time I'm posting this that was 7 years ago.

If we were to do this job today we would machine scrub the tires with the FLEX Cordless PE14 - Cordless means no Electric SHOCK risk when using a tool around water.

How to machine scrub tires using the Cordless FLEX PE14

Mike Phillips

Continued...

And just to complete the above story, "yes" the North Miami Police Mobile Command Vehicle came out GREAT!

Just one of many HUGE detailing projects we tackled here at Autogeek in the 10+ years I've been here. I should make a list to document all the cool huge projects we've tackled. There are photo-documented threads for ALL of them.

Full write-up here, and for you RUPES fans, this was a RUPES system buff-out.

North Miami Beach Police Mobil Command Unit - Show Car Makeover

9. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike. Great advice and exactly the kind of information I needed.
    Jay