autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Good polish and compound combo other than Meguiar's

Quote Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
    I currently have the over counter Megs ultimate compound and polish and I'd like to get something a bit better because I feel like my result maybe aren't that good and looking for something more "boutique"
    Your results aren’t necessarily going to get better simply because you decide to spend more and get “boutique” with your compound & polish.
    The compound is either going to remove all the swirls or it’s not.. And if UC can’t do it then that must mean that you’ve somehow managed to severely thrash your own vehicle by not knowing how to properly wash it.

Unless you’re seeing visible marring or an inability to finish down to a good level, chances are it’s not going to suddenly gain a world of difference just because you use a more expensive compound or polish because alot of the differences are mainly in the user experience as opposed to the final shine that’s produced.

If you’re really hating the user experience with Ultimate Polish, then I can’t blame you.. But if the results are fine then the majority of the difference will likely be with ease of use, not how shiny your paint gets. Just because you’re using OTC products, doesn’t mean you’re settling for OTC results. I was taught the very same lesson a long time ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Good polish and compound combo other than Meguiar's

Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80 View Post
    Once you use Griot's BOSS line there's not much reason to go back and use anything else. On occasion I still use M205 and D300 depending on the car.
    Agreed. Fast Correcting Cream doesn't leave behind the oily residue like Menzerna or Jescar and has more cut and finishes better than D300. It smells fantastic and other than really soft paints it seems to work better than any other compound.

3. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the guys that suggested fcc
    Fast correction cream is like D300 with steroids
    More cut and finishes better
    Both products 0 to low dusting
    Easy wipe off
    Both are smat tech

Cut max Is great but in the wrong hands could be damaging and is too aggressive for beginners and it’s not easy to use like the griots fcc and d300

But it depends sometimes you don’t need the extra cut

For an aggressive cut I’ll suggest fast correction cream with the white cutting pad by griots or microfiber

You can minimize the aggressiveness by switching to a softer pad

So if you decided to get the fast correction cream get the white and orange pads and always start with the orange

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

5. Likes mwoywod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boostedqtr View Post
    I agree with the guys that suggested fcc
    Fast correction cream is like D300 with steroids
    More cut and finishes better
    Both products 0 to low dusting
    Easy wipe off
    Both are smat tech

Cut max Is great but in the wrong hands could be damaging and is too aggressive for beginners and it’s not easy to use like the griots fcc and d300

But it depends sometimes you don’t need the extra cut

For an aggressive cut I’ll suggest fast correction cream with the white cutting pad by griots or microfiber

You can minimize the aggressiveness by switching to a softer pad

So if you decided to get the fast correction cream get the white and orange pads and always start with the orange

Do you like the griot's white foam pad? I hated using that thing especially on a panel with any concave/convex surfaces. Too thin and firm for me. The Boss Microfiber is easily my favorite microfiber pad though. Not the best at heavy correction but the soft interface and long fibers make it so user friendly IMO

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for GG Creams.

My cousin recently sold his work truck. It was pretty hammered, but he asked if I could "do anything to make it look a little better".

Only about 2 hours with FCC, and he was shocked. He said it looked "New again".

I know better than that, but the FCC took that dark blue Ford paint from beat to hell to not being able to tell how bad the paint was from a couple feet away.

When I use the CC on my own truck, it works flawlessly.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok guys thanks for all the replies.

To address my current issues with my compound, yes it might be a combination of having bad pads and a pad polisher and my low experience. It's off brand "Presa' I'm looking to sell and get a Griot ones instead but want to sell it before with my pads to.

I just found that the ultimate compound didn't cut enough, after polishing and compounding I find that there are still some swirls I can find when looking at them at a very specific angle and it bugs me. A part from that honnestly my car looks perfect, it's just I know there are swirls.

I'll see more as COVID ends (hopefully) and car meets start and see if I see them swirls under a lamp post at night skies but yeah.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    Do you like the griot's white foam pad? I hated using that thing especially on a panel with any concave/convex surfaces. Too thin and firm for me. The Boss Microfiber is easily my favorite microfiber pad though. Not the best at heavy correction but the soft interface and long fibers make it so user friendly IMO
    I liked them on flat surfaces
    My only issue was they have the tendency to sling polish after priming
    I also like their boss microfiber pads both are great in my opinion but I felt that the foam pad gave me a better finish

On the concave/convex i use the 3in boss microfiber pads with my flex cordless polisher

I have there fast finishing microfiber pad but haven’t tried it yet, it falls between the white foam and the boss microfiber in cutting power and it has a thicker interface than the boss

Good polish and compound combo other than Meguiar's-adjustments-jpg

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok guys thanks for all the replies.

To address my current issues with my compound, yes it might be a combination of having bad pads and a pad polisher and my low experience. It's off brand "Presa' I'm looking to sell and get a Griot ones instead but want to sell it before with my pads to.

I just found that the ultimate compound didn't cut enough, after polishing and compounding I find that there are still some swirls I can find when looking at them at a very specific angle and it bugs me. A part from that honnestly my car looks perfect, it's just I know there are swirls.

I'll see more as COVID ends (hopefully) and car meets start and see if I see them swirls under a lamp post at night skies but yeah.
    Ok then, I’ll toss my vote in with the Fast Correcting Cream. It’s great stuff.

What kind of car do you have and what color is it?

12. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Ok then, I’ll toss my vote in with the Fast Correcting Cream. It’s great stuff.

What kind of car do you have and what color is it?
    Ok nice, my question to you, shouldn't you be using perfecting cream instead of correcting to follow up? The perfect one says it remove minute swirls and holograms.

Or am I looking at it wrong. Are they all one step products and don't need a follow up after to look good or? I assume you compound with the fast cream and polish with the correcting cream?

My car is a 2011 BMW 335is in sapce gray mettalic. Here's a pic of my after winter wash, it looks good and reflection is great! I know it's not sunny but hope if gives you an idea. Please ignore the wheels they are still the winter ones!

14. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok nice, my question to you, shouldn't you be using perfecting cream instead of correcting to follow up? The perfect one says it remove minute swirls and holograms.

Or am I looking at it wrong. Are they all one step products and don't need a follow up after to look good or? I assume you compound with the fast cream and polish with the correcting cream?
    [/IMG]
    You’re mostly right... Ideally you’d follow up the correcting creams with the perfecting cream or even the Boss finishing sealant, however while I’m a big fan of the Correcting Creams, I’m not as big on the other 2 creams. I do have them, but I prefer others.

For me personally it’s always Meguiars M205 that I reach for. IMO it just does everything better and I’ve always had good results with it.

And yes the Boss Correcting Creams usually do work very well as 1 step products, alot of times not even requiring a 2nd step. However if and when I do a 2nd step, it’s not the FCC followed by the CC. That’s overkill... My choice would be either 1 of the correcting creams followed by a finishing polish i.e. Megs M205.

16. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast