autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Constant battle against tar spots on doors.. sealants not working. any tips?

Per above, TarX works like a dream. Spray on, let sit for a few minutes, wipe off. Then wash, dry and seal.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Constant battle against tar spots on doors.. sealants not working. any tips?

I took a look in the webstore and it seems like Car Pro is the most expensive at $16, is it using a special chemical composition that the other ones are not ?
    Bug and tar removers: Remove tree sap, bugs, tar, and overspray with bug and tar removers, bug remover, detailing clay, overspray clay, bug sponge,
    ie. Meguiar's is $7.
    Also, CarPro makes an Iron X + Tar X for the same price, is the Tax X purely more effective or would it be worth getting both in one bottle as I never bought Iron X previously.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OMGClayAiken View Post
    Try carpro tar-x...should be a good deal easier than trying to clay those off all the time.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
    Clay Aiken shows up when it’s time to talk clay. Love it.

4. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure it’s tar and not the fungus that shoots spores against anything close by? I think it’s referred to as artillery fungus. Even though garaged, if you park next to curbs while out, with these plants around, your paint will get splattered.

Just a thought...

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 00birdy View Post
    I took a look in the webstore and it seems like Car Pro is the most expensive at $16, is it using a special chemical composition that the other ones are not ?
    Bug and tar removers: Remove tree sap, bugs, tar, and overspray with bug and tar removers, bug remover, detailing clay, overspray clay, bug sponge,
    ie. Meguiar's is $7.
    Also, CarPro makes an Iron X + Tar X for the same price, is the Tax X purely more effective or would it be worth getting both in one bottle as I never bought Iron X previously.
    You know, you probably could find a similarly classified product for anything CarPro makes that is less expensive. There's a reason their products get recommended so often.

Ha. After I read this I reread your post and noticed the last paragraph. As much as I like CarPro, they're not perfect. They've had some clunkers (An anti-fog spray comes to mind.). Most of their products though are among the best in their category. But, from what I remember, posters would say to keep the two products separate.

Post Thanks / Like

WD-40 works well on tar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Whitewater25 View Post
    WD-40 works well on tar
    As does CRC 656. (Which out-performs WD in every way I might add.....)

But "works well" is different than "works amazing" like the 3M GPAR.

I am just commenting because I have used literally hundreds of cases of these products over the last 20+ years in the marine industry.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    If this is your daily driver, unfortunately you will see this often.

I always get tar spots, and thanks to good ol' NY state doing road construction out here, I also now have hundreds of yellow paint specks all along my side steps and up in the wheel wells. (Middle finger emoji).

One thing that works great on tar spots is 3M General Purpose Adhesive remover. Just be aware it will also strip away any LSP you have on the paint in quick fashion.

No sealant is immune to these tar spots IMO. I'm not a coating guy, but I will bet some others who do use them can chime in on coatings vs. tar.

My feeling is that the coatings will make the tar removal easier, but I have no experience with that.
    What do you use to get yellow paint off? Clay didnt work...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    What do you use to get yellow paint off? Clay didnt work...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QD, and a plastic razor blade.

Tedious process to say the least, so make sure you have enough beer..........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

11. Thanks Bill D thanked for this post
    Likes Thomkirby, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some companies make a road paint remover. Works really well. Unfortunately none at AG that I’m aware of. A Google search may help.

As far as Tar-X. I liked it except for the green fluorescent dye that stains . Ended up throwing a whole gallon of it out.
    Jim

13. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast