autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Constant battle against tar spots on doors.. sealants not working. any tips?

Around last October I did M105/ orange pad and sealed with Poorboy's EX. I had tar spots all over, up and down the lower half of all four doors. I ended up spending maybe 6-8 hours removing each one by hand with a claybar before I got into the polishing. I invested the time to do it the right way hoping once a good sealant was on there it wouldn't be an issue. Just did my first up close inspection today (maybe 5-6 months later on a garaged car with 5 mile commute) and the doors are all covered in these tar spots again. It takes me a good 2-5 minutes per each speck to remove by hand with the claybar. I'm thinking about just powering through it with the orbital and an abrasive polish again, I don't want to deal with it.

What kind of sealants or waxes can I rely on that will at least help prevent this from happening again? Is there a better removal solution? I don't know if this is from the roads around here specifically or just the cars brakes or what.

Here's a picture of how some of the spotting looks.

Car looks fine from anything more than a foot or two away, but I'd like some sort of long term solution to the problem so I'm not ruining my shoulder and entire day with the claybar.
    Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Constant battle against tar spots on doors.. sealants not working. any tips?

Is that a Sport?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Constant battle against tar spots on doors.. sealants not working. any tips?

Seems to me it would be a lot simpler (and easier) to just use a tar remover product and then reapply your LSP in the affected areas. No need to clay nor polish.

Nothing is going to prevent tar from sticking to your car. Depending on the type of LSP product you use (ie. wax, sealant, or coating), it is a matter of how "attached" that tar is to your paint.

Post Thanks / Like

If this is your daily driver, unfortunately you will see this often.

I always get tar spots, and thanks to good ol' NY state doing road construction out here, I also now have hundreds of yellow paint specks all along my side steps and up in the wheel wells. (Middle finger emoji).

One thing that works great on tar spots is 3M General Purpose Adhesive remover. Just be aware it will also strip away any LSP you have on the paint in quick fashion.

No sealant is immune to these tar spots IMO. I'm not a coating guy, but I will bet some others who do use them can chime in on coatings vs. tar.

My feeling is that the coatings will make the tar removal easier, but I have no experience with that.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I also now have hundreds of yellow paint specks all along my side steps and up in the wheel wells.

Once years ago I had yellow paint spots in my wells too. I had to resort to painting over them with flat black paint.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Try carpro tar-x...should be a good deal easier than trying to clay those off all the time.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Once years ago I had yellow paint spots in my wells too. I had to resort to painting over them with flat black paint.
    QD, plastic razor blades, and a LOT of cursing for me....... Lol
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

8. Thanks crovello thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Make it easy on yourself next time, use any brand of tar remover. If you do not have any, lacquer thinner works well. And yes suggest to reapply some protection over those areas. Save your clay bar for other days, chemicals are the way to make that job easier.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What tar remover tends to work best and how does that compare to the adhesive remover mentioned above?

Post Thanks / Like

I like the 3D gum and tar remover.
    Jim

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast