autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

One of a kind ... the CBEAST in NZ.

Howdy y’all.

So strangely it’s only been around two & a half Months since we were all the way over in the USA & that means I’ve only had the FLEX XCE 8-125 or better known as the CBEAST, for the same amount of time ...feels like so much longer.

The first tool I reached for when we arrived at the Autogeek Show Car Garage on the morning of the Autogeek Open House Detail Day - Pictures: Autogeek Open House Detail Day - Saturday, January 4th, 2020 was the CBEAST. A much anticipated tool for me since its conception & having already accumulated the FLEX PE-150 cordless rotary polisher & the FLEX XFE15 150 Dual Action polisher, I was looking forward to adding the CBEAST to the collection.

The FLEX XC 3401 VRG (BEAST) is probably the most utilised tool in my shop, & I have three set up in different configurations at all times ... & have five in total but let’s not go there ...

So having many years of real world use with the BEAST in hand, these tools feel as much a part of me as my own hand.

I’ll chuck some random pictures of the CBEAST in action to keep some visual interest ...

Onto the CBEAST!!!

It’s weirdly hard to explain the freedom experienced when you no longer have a cord to worry about. As much as it’s natural for us as Detailers to subconsciously tuck the cord up over our shoulders it’s not until you don’t have to that you actually realise how taxing it is to do such a simple thing. I’m not talking running a marathon kinda taxing but mentally & somewhat physically it is all the same.

So with that said - I find myself opting to use the CBEAST on nearly every vehicle I work on. The CBEAST performs very very well & is capable of destroying defects for sure but if you had a severely trashed finish to attempt to resurrect & time was a factor (like most shop situations) then probably going to a corded machine is going to be more efficient. In saying that though, there would be certain areas in certain situations on that vehicle that I would still prefer to go cordless anyhow so it’s not made redundant by any means.

For anyone that hasn’t already had this question cleared up, & I still see it being asked every time a cordless tool is in the spot light - Battery Life!! This is a non issue! In my opinion, you would never be able to flatten one battery using this tool in real world situations by the time the battery on charge has finished charging fully.

Power remains the same right till the bitter end, when the battery is flat it’s flat, the tool just stops without any noticeable drop in performance. In hand the CBEAST is simple beautiful - incredibly balanced & it seems to just “fit” no matter where you choose to place your hands. Upside down, ambidextrous ... whatever, it just feels great.

Recently Ange & I hosted another training event at our shop & had a small group of eager students who were keen to get stuck in & really enjoyed the “hands on” styled approach that we adopted from Mike Phillips. Being that this CBEAST is the only one in New Zealand I was keen to have as many people get this polisher in hand as possible. They all loved this tool!!! If only FLEX had a real presence down here ....

Three of the four students had previously never even held a polisher of any type but all came to grips with the CBEAST, BEAST, PiXiE,FINISHER & PE-150 in short time.

So where does that leave me on my thoughts of the FLEX XCE 8-125 CBEAST ....

I love it! I kinda knew I would before having even touched one but the more I use it the more it becomes a part of me & a part of the team at the shop. Is it the perfect fit for every job? No but then I couldn’t think of a tool that would be “perfect” for “every” job. It has however secured its place as a full time member of staff here at Details ... well done FLEX, well done.

Thank you all for taking the time to check this out, I appreciate it.

Aaryn NZ.

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

2. Likes PaulMys, custmsprty, The Guz, Jim w, Thomkirby and 3 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: One of a kind ... the CBEAST in NZ.

Great post as always, Aaryn!

Thanks for the review, and awesome pics.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

4. Thanks Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome work, great post. I especially have always wanted to see one of those new Mazda Miata's in candy red or whatever the color is called polished out. Amazing!!
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

6. Thanks Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Awesome work, great post. I especially have always wanted to see one of those new Mazda Miata's in candy red or whatever the color is called polished out. Amazing!!

Thank you Mark.

Soul Red is what it’s called down in these parts ... it looks okay inside ... looks outstanding in the sunshine -

Aaryn NZ.

a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

8. Likes PaulMys, custmsprty, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very cool stuff. I enjoyed reading this and you commitment to help others learn our craft is certainly something very different special!

I still haven’t pulled the trigger on this yet. Just waiting for a 15% polisher discount sale and it’s mine.
    Jim

10. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Very cool stuff. I enjoyed reading this and you commitment to help others learn our craft is certainly something very different special!

I still haven’t pulled the trigger on this yet. Just waiting for a 15% polisher discount sale and it’s mine.
    Thank you Dr Oldz.

I’ve been celebrating your Birthday all day seeing as it’s officially your Birthday down here ...

I got you a cyber present - the Quartet -

Happy Birthday my friend.

Appreciate your kind words.

Aaryn NZ.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much my friend!!

The quartet.... I like it!!!!!

Something to perhaps help.... on my PiXiE, I painted a white line on the 3 inch backing plate. Keeps from marking every pad!
    Also if you pull the roll pin out of the rotary adaptor, you can use the rotary with the 3 inch backing plate altho I would only suggest using speed 1 or 2 like this. Also proceed with that at your own risk, as obviously Flex doesn’t want us doing that. Makes a great 3 inch rotary machine IMO tho.
    Jim

13. Thanks Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Aaryn,
    I am planning to buy Flex this summer, waiting on funding for that big purchase. I am curious to add the rotary "cordless" instead of a corded version. After watching Mike Phillips use the rotary on the tires and Yvan Lacroix using one on interior I can see the plus for adding one too!
    For going mobile at first do you think the cordless then is a safe bet over the power of the corded models?

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice post Aaryn! Always enjoy reading what you have to say. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Really nice post. Fun and interesting read.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast