autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Ruined my Meguiars MF pads on first use.

Guys,

I had a two-step correction job on a Chrysler mini van this weekend. I’ve been using LC flat pads and have had great results, but after researching, wanted to try a MF cutting pad.

I bought a pair of Megs 5” and was very pleased with the results. Unfortunately, the hook and loop backings on them are smoked now, with no ‘grabbing’ capabilities.

I use a Chinese no-name backing plate that I bought from a local body shop supplier. It’s worked fine with my LC pads, which I put through hell, but this Megs MF didn’t last.

I am sure I over worked it, in hindsight. I would lose pad rotation, use stiff pressure, etc. I was not expecting these pads would be wasted, though. I’m sure if I had matched the Meguiar’s backing plate to it I would’ve been fine, as I’ve since learned there are different styles of Velcro used between manufacturers. (Of course!)

Do you guys have any thoughts? What should I replace or purchase?

Mike Phillips

Re: Ruined my Meguiars MF pads on first use.

Yep - heat is the enemy for buffing pads.

I don't use MF pads. I've known about them before most, back when Meguiars introduced them to the OEM for spot repairs. Used to have some of the originals in my collection, this would be pre-2005 - long before they went public.

I just don't like buffing with them. If I want to cut hard I use a BEAST and an aggressive FOAM pad with a great compound and thus no need for microfiber pads.

The BEAST cost money but with it - you don't have to mess around with free spinning DAs using microfiber pads trying to get them to do what the BEAST will do with foam.

Just my style...

The only way I know to avoid the problem you experienced is to

A: Get the manufacturers recommended matching backing plate so the velcro hook is matched to the loop for a "system approach"

B: Get a lot of pads and switch to a fresh pad often to avoid heat build up that increases as the pads become wet. Wet pads hold in heat better than dry pads.

3. Thanks Eric7810 thanked for this post
    Likes Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought into the system when it was first released (to the public). It did come with its own backing plate, and compared to my previous backing plate the velcro was definitely shorter pile. So I changed over to their plate. FWIW, it seems to work fine on all other pads as well, so Ive just stuck with it through the years.

Ive lost a few pads along the way and each time it was the backing material separating from the foam of the pad. What Ive noticed: too high a speed, too much pressure will lead to the pads wiping out. Pressure and speed you use on foam is TOO MUCH for the MF pads. So Ive slowed down the speed and used a bit less pressure. Also, make sure to keep cleaning the pads....you want the fibers to kinda "peak up" instead of matting down. Once they are matted down they dont work as well, and then you end up trying to use more speed and more pressure to help them and you end up with a wiped pad.

5. Likes SWETM, jsgntulok liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I noticed that the Meguiars mf cutting pads holds very strong to the backing plate I have on my 21mm longthrow polisher. And when it's time to switch it's easy to almost ripp it apart. The solution I used after that was the Rupes Claw Pad Tool to wrench it in and bend it off. So the other side of the brush. And the brush worked good too. They get easy saturated with polish. If possible compressed air is the most effective way to clean them between sections. And as noted very important for you to have a look at the heat build up in the pad.

RUPES BigFoot Claw Pad Tool

Post Thanks / Like

How much pressure and speed were you using with them? How often did you cycle them out for a new pad? How much product where you using?

Post Thanks / Like

I use Meguires Microfiber Cutting Pads on all my Rupes products and haven’t had a Velcro failure yet. I do change them out after each panel just like I do with foam. Pads are too expensive to misuse. I have started to use the Rupes wool pads instead of microfiber pads. The cut and finish on hard paint systems seems to be better but I am still experimenting with them.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It wasn't your backing plate. I tried these pads one time, after one panel the pad overheated and melted onto my backing plate ruining it. I was running by DA buffer on speed 4 which is what I run most all the time without issue. I emailed Maguire's and was asked for a picture of the cutting pad. The next day I received a snarky response back from them basically letting me know that it was my fault because I ran my buffer too high even though I never told them what DA buffer I use and what speed I ran it on. It was pretty disappointing considering that Maguire's has been such a dependable company with their products for decades. Lesson learned.....Don't you their pads...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Over the years I find myself going back to microfiber cutting pads trying them out over and over......I just can't seem to get use to them. I'm with Mike, the beast, foam cutting pad and a good compound is my go to.