autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3-in-1 Leather Products?

Acura,

If I'm reading your post correctly you are using a 3 step process for your seats (following a proper cleaning) i.e. 1 conditioner; 2 balm; and 3 coating. I've always used the WG cleaner followed by the WG conditioner, with the understanding that the conditioner also protects the leather. I do this approx. every 3-4 months.

I recently transitioned from the WG conditioner to PBL Balm. I haven't used the balm long enough yet to determine the longevity vs the conditioner, but I like the feel and look of the balm. Another benefit of the balm is that it works well with perforated seats.

Can you explain further the benefits of using your three step process? More specifically does the combination conditioner and balm a better combo than either alone? Does the protectant further significantly protect the leather? How long does this combination last before you need to reapply?

I could be convinced to follow your lead with a little more info behind your process. Also curious as to the thoughts of others on your process.

Bluegrass - Following up on you post I was satisfied with Griot's 3-in-1 product. It should be good for your purposes as long as you use it at least every 3 months...maybe more often on the drivers seat. If your seats become heavily soiled you should use a pre-cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ll chime in and say that as far as 3-in-1 leather products go, the Blackfire Leather Complete really does produce the best results. It really is a cut above as far as having the right strength in regards to cleaning and also the way it leaves the leather feeling soft a d supple without being greasy or slippery.

The only thing I have to mention and the reason I think prevents it from being perfect is it’s scent... It’s definitely different, kind of a musky scent. It does dissipate within a day though.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I’ll chime in and say that as far as 3-in-1 leather products go, the Blackfire Leather Complete really does produce the best results. It really is a cut above as far as having the right strength in regards to cleaning and also the way it leaves the leather feeling soft a d supple without being greasy or slippery.

The only thing I have to mention and the reason I think prevents it from being perfect is it’s scent... It’s definitely different, kind of a musky scent. It does dissipate within a day though.
    Thanks.
    You are the 3rd person to mention Blackfire Leather Complete, so there must be something to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Im also a Griots Leather Care Spray (over the 3-1) for maintenance, I use Meguiars D181 to clean semi dirty leather or an APC 10-1 or stronger if its really dirty, then Ive got a few different leather conditioners. Havent picked a fav conditioner yet.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Im also a Griots Leather Care Spray (over the 3-1) for maintenance, I use Meguiars D181 to clean semi dirty leather or an APC 10-1 or stronger if its really dirty, then Ive got a few different leather conditioners. Havent picked a fav conditioner yet.
    I'm not a pro. Just a DIY guy taking care of my two daily drivers.
    I'm particular about my cars, so the interior/leather never really gets all that dirty.

Given this, is there ONE product you would recommend to care for the leather?
    Or would I be better off with two products.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
    So for someone who doesn't want to acquire a bunch of products, is there ONE that you would recommend?
    Griot's 3 in 1 (cream).

Post Thanks / Like

So for someone who doesn't want to acquire a bunch of products, is there ONE that you would recommend?
    I would do the Griot's Leather Care Spray. Smells like a new leather car and does a great job of cleaning and protecting

8. Likes dcjredline liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willbeen View Post
    Acura,

If I'm reading your post correctly you are using a 3 step process for your seats (following a proper cleaning) i.e. 1 conditioner; 2 balm; and 3 coating. I've always used the WG cleaner followed by the WG conditioner, with the understanding that the conditioner also protects the leather. I do this approx. every 3-4 months.

I recently transitioned from the WG conditioner to PBL Balm. I haven't used the balm long enough yet to determine the longevity vs the conditioner, but I like the feel and look of the balm. Another benefit of the balm is that it works well with perforated seats.

Can you explain further the benefits of using your three step process? More specifically does the combination conditioner and balm a better combo than either alone? Does the protectant further significantly protect the leather? How long does this combination last before you need to reapply?

I could be convinced to follow your lead with a little more info behind your process. Also curious as to the thoughts of others on your process.

Bluegrass - Following up on you post I was satisfied with Griot's 3-in-1 product. It should be good for your purposes as long as you use it at least every 3 months...maybe more often on the drivers seat. If your seats become heavily soiled you should use a pre-cleaner.
    Willbean, I’m sorry for the confusion. I use dedicated cleaner such as WG Leather Cleaner, then I use one of the 3 protections (WG, PBL or Mckees coating), or 1 of the 2 conditioners topped with the coating. I have 3 cars so I swap around which gets what of the 3 protection choices.....

I first tried conditioner + coating last year on my X5, using WG Conditioner followed by a Mckees Coating. I wanted to moisturize prior to coating and figured I would observe if I thought the coating failed. My observation is that the coating lasted just fine over the dedicated conditioner, best I can tell. So I will probably use a two step process for expensive leather in the future: one of the conditioners followed by coating since it seems like it works.

I don’t see any purpose in combining WG conditioner with PBL Balm. And I like the Balm better too which is why I haven’t topped with the coating.

10. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking for a simple and inexpensive
    way to maintain these leather surfaces.

If the consensus is that these types of
    3-in-1 products are not as effective,
    I'm also looking at these...

Thoughts?
    Disclaimer:
    -I’m just one voice crying out in the
    detailing wilderness—not the consensus.

•When it comes to leather care,
    -I go with the following mantra:
    Clean and Protect!
    -In order for me to be in compliance with
    that mantra, I use Leather Master’s products;
    -(added bonus: they won’t break the bank.)

•For a Clean and Protect Kit:
    -Leather Master Cleaning Midi Kit

•For Cleaning only products:
    -Leather Master Soft Cleaner
    -Leather Master Car Interior
    Leather Cleaner

Protection only product:
    -Leather Master Car Interior Leather
    Protection Cream

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

12. Likes TimD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ll second Leather Master. I’ve been using it for years now and have been totally happy with it.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast