autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Poor performance by optimum tire protection?

Hey so I applied some of this product on my winter tires before winter as a "test" because I only found out this product at the end of summer. I had applied 2 coats before winter around November and it looked great at first. Now it's almost end of winter and it's march and after cleaning my car with ONR and rubbing the tires with ONR to as mentioned in some videos I feel like my tire aren't looking really dressed. That said, I understand it's been about 4 months but I was watching all the videos and even Yvan Lacroix (ONR guy) himself mentioned it was used on the car being towed by his bus all winter plus more and the coating was still perfect. Here how they look today for mine.

https://i.imgur.com/1t1iHIa.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/PiKyAO1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Poor performance by optimum tire protection?

First of all how was the tire prepped? Were these new tires?

The durability of any product is going to vary by the condition it sees. For example harsher conditions will degrade any product quicker.

ONR is not that strong of a cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    First of all how was the tire prepped? Were these new tires?

The durability of any product is going to vary by the condition it sees. For example harsher conditions will degrade any product quicker.

ONR is not that strong of a cleaner.
    Yeah tires were new. It was prepped and cleaned with some SuperClean full strenght. Off the car so was the coating was also perfectly applied.

But yeah hopefully when I can get the pressure washer out and clean it better it will come back alive.

Post Thanks / Like

New tires can be tricky. They don't often take a tire coating too well. They have that mold wax in them that is released over time. Cleaning weekly and simply driving over the course of a month will ensure that it is almost all removed. Also no tire dressings in that time as they will leach out of the tire if the coating is applied over it even after cleaning them. It is a lesson learned with past experience with the DP Tire Coating and Nick's help.

I have not used optimum's version. I do believe they recommend undiluted power clean to clean the tire during the prep phase. I believe they also recommend their product TAR to remove it.

5. Likes mwoywod, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had great luck with this stuff.

Prep is absolute key

Applications must be light. Heavy coats can be detrimental. I apply with a hvlp gun.
    On my personal vehicle that sits outside everyday, after 9 months the gloss/sheen faded but it was still protecting as evident when cleaning the tires. Another application and it was back to new.

I think you issue is as Guz has stated. The tires were too new and/or not cleaned properly. Try bleache wite. Still one of the best tire cleaners.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    New tires can be tricky. They don't often take a tire coating too well. They have that mold wax in them that is released over time. Cleaning weekly and simply driving over the course of a month will ensure that it is almost all removed. Also no tire dressings in that time as they will leach out of the tire if the coating is applied over it even after cleaning them. It is a lesson learned with past experience with the DP Tire Coating and Nick's help.

I have not used optimum's version. I do believe they recommend undiluted power clean to clean the tire during the prep phase. I believe they also recommend their product TAR to remove it.
    Oh ok I didn't know new tires were no advised to be coated. My summers will all be new this year so I'll wait a month before applying the coating with weekly washes on the car.

For hte prep, I'm sure power clean is just a APC and any as strong or stronger APC will do well. My Super Clean 3:1 has been great for getting the tires 100% clean with no brown foam coming up after 1 or 2 sprays.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m about to go buy a brand new tire right now to put on this wheel.

I’ve gone through similar issues with brand new tires, which is why I’m not doing anything but cleaning it for the 1st 3-4 weeks at least and that’s cutting it very short. If I have the proper patience I should wait at least 6 weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I’m about to go buy a brand new tire right now to put on this wheel.

I’ve gone through similar issues with brand new tires, which is why I’m not doing anything but cleaning it for the 1st 3-4 weeks at least and that’s cutting it very short. If I have the proper patience I should wait at least 6 weeks.
    What about the other three?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    What about the other three?
    I’ve got 2 matching Toyo tires in the rear and they look 80-85% new + they look great and accept the tire coating perfectly. However they no longer make those particular tires... Ideally I’d by 2 new similar Toyos for the front, but the ones that appear to be the replacement Toyos are kind of visually less appealing + my current front passenger tire is even newer than the 2 tires in the rear.

So I’m only going to buy 1 new tire right now to replace a tire that’s making a wierd creaking noise that’s gotten gradually louder and I took it to 2 different tire shops today and none of them could pinpoint what was causing the noise! My gut tells me the tire isn’t safe to drive on so I’m going to replace it.

Post Thanks / Like

I got it.. $100 bucks total cost.
    Now begins the cleaning.

And now the wheel & tire that was replaced becomes a spare tire just in case I need it someday..

12. Likes PaulMys, Thomkirby liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast