autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Regarding Rinsing Iron Remover for My Unique Situation

As full-time RV travelers I am often unable to use a garden hose for washing vehicles so when I wash I use either waterless or rinseless washes. But for rinsing after applying an iron remover I am trying to wrap my head around two solutions I have thought of. 1) Buy one of these or similar Blackfire chemical resistant pressure sprayer which I would be able to use in my situations, curious if this would be a viable alternative to a hose? 2) Take my vehicles to a self serve car wash, spray the iron remover on then rinse using the water rinse selection. I have no doubt this would be effective but am wondering if it is ok to spray the whole vehicle down before rinsing considering most instructions indicate a 3-5 minute dwell time? I would then drive home and do a waterless or rinseless wash.
    Last edited by Hermes1; 03-08-2020 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Content
    Sincerely, Bruce
    2015 Ram Big Horn CC 3500 Cummins DRW w/AISIN tranny

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question Regarding Rinsing Iron Remover for My Unique Situation

If you are just trying to rinse off the iron remover, why do you need a chemical resistant sprayer? I think a regular 2 gallon pesticide sprayer can get most of it off. You can also do the worx hydroshot and get the stuff off too.

Another thing you can consider is getting a pesticide sprayer and filling it with rinseless wash solution as a prespray/rinse and then go about the rinseless wash.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes1 View Post
    2) Take my vehicles to a self serve car wash, spray the iron remover on then rinse using the water rinse selection. I have no doubt this would be effective but am wondering if it is ok to spray the whole vehicle down before rinsing considering most instructions indicate a 3-5 minute dwell time? I would then drive home and do a waterless or rinseless wash.
    This should be fine as long as it’s not super hot or humid. I assume you’ll be in the shade in the wash bay. I always spray the whole car down then rinse the whole car, starting where I started the iron remover. Just spray thoroughly and take your time, worst case you may need to insert a second payment. I’ve never had a problem with the iron remover drying to the point that it wouldn’t rinse off, even if a few spots were beginning to dry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by georgez View Post
    If you are just trying to rinse off the iron remover, why do you need a chemical resistant sprayer? I think a regular 2 gallon pesticide sprayer can get most of it off. You can also do the worx hydroshot and get the stuff off too.

Another thing you can consider is getting a pesticide sprayer and filling it with rinseless wash solution as a prespray/rinse and then go about the rinseless wash.
    Thank you, I did not think of that and a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    This should be fine as long as it’s not super hot or humid. I assume you’ll be in the shade in the wash bay. I always spray the whole car down then rinse the whole car, starting where I started the iron remover. Just spray thoroughly and take your time, worst case you may need to insert a second payment. I’ve never had a problem with the iron remover drying to the point that it wouldn’t rinse off, even if a few spots were beginning to dry.
    Thank you too and good to know you have had a good experience with this solution.
    Sincerely, Bruce
    2015 Ram Big Horn CC 3500 Cummins DRW w/AISIN tranny

Post Thanks / Like

You could do your option #2 there and use a sprayer to actually spray the iron remover onto the paint. Using that instead of the manually trigger bottle will help you cover the side of the RV much faster, perhaps finishing in less than 5 minutes, then you can rinse with their power washer.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes1 View Post
    Thank you too and good to know you have had a good experience with this solution.
    No problem, and while I’m talking about using on me vehicle and may not appreciate the size of your RV, Bsoares gives really good advice above to cover the RV with a sprayer for speed of coverage. Great idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    You could do your option #2 there and use a sprayer to actually spray the iron remover onto the paint. Using that instead of the manually trigger bottle will help you cover the side of the RV much faster, perhaps finishing in less than 5 minutes, then you can rinse with their power washer.

This is a good idea, with one caveat. Make sure to use a sprayer that has Viton seals and a chemically-resistant sprayer hose. A good example is Hudson's line of "Super Sprayers". I have had one (3-gal size) for years and it has been excellent.