autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

2019 Ford Raptor - ? On Plastic Trim and Matte Vnyl Stripes/Graphics

Hi Everyone
    Very new to DIY detailing. Just picked up a 2019 Ford Raptor and want to do my own ceramic coating to it. I have a question on how to/ehat to use for the black plastic trim thats everywhere on the Raptors (bumpers, fender flares, hood vents, etc) and also on matte vinyl stripes and graphics.

I planned to use Kamikaze Miyabi, 2 coats, then ISM 1.0 for the paint. Can the Miyabi and/or thre ISM 1.0 be used on the trim amd vinyl hood stripes/bedside graphics? If no, what product is recommended? Ive read about Gyeon Trim and others for the plastic and could try that instead of the Kamikaze coatings but since there is so much trim on the Raptors, it would be far easier not to try to have to mask off or keep a product off the adjoining surface. Thoughts on the Kamikaze on trim and vinyl?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2019 Ford Raptor - ? On Plastic Trim and Matte Vnyl Stripes/Graphics

I've used Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant on Ford trim with very good results. My mirrors, bed rails and fender wells are still beading water more than a year after I applied and they're still dark black. Only problem, I can't find a tape that sticks to it for when I want to use my polisher.

3. Likes ssnimrod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As the Kamikaze products are not sold on AG, you probably won't get much feedback here.

As for the black plastic trim, in addition to the Gyeon Trim, you might look at IGL Ecocoat Trim or cQuartz DLUX.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ljn21 View Post
    Hi Everyone
    Very new to DIY detailing. Just picked up a 2019 Ford Raptor and want to do my own ceramic coating to it. I have a question on how to/ehat to use for the black plastic trim thats everywhere on the Raptors (bumpers, fender flares, hood vents, etc) and also on matte vinyl stripes and graphics.

I planned to use Kamikaze Miyabi, 2 coats, then ISM 1.0 for the paint. Can the Miyabi and/or thre ISM 1.0 be used on the trim amd vinyl hood stripes/bedside graphics? If no, what product is recommended? Ive read about Gyeon Trim and others for the plastic and could try that instead of the Kamikaze coatings but since there is so much trim on the Raptors, it would be far easier not to try to have to mask off or keep a product off the adjoining surface. Thoughts on the Kamikaze on trim and vinyl?
    The trim is probably in good condition and does not need any restoration so you can use either of those on trim. I forget which one is recommended for trim. You may want to check out esoteric's youtube videos to find out which one to use.

If you are looking for a dedicated trim coating then you have many options. As you mentioned Gyeon Trim is one, CarPro DLUX is another good one. Can't go wrong with either one. One thing I would recommend if you go with any coating on the trim, and that is to touch it up at least once a year to keep the trim looking good.

I am not a kamikaze user so I don't know how well it works for matte vinyl, but Cquartz Skin works great for matte vinyls. GTechniq Halo is another dedicated PPF and vinyl coating like Cquartz Skin. You could get away with a regular paint coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing better than ISM for black plastic trim, stuff lasts longer than any dedicated Trim coating I've used.

As for the black graphics, I'd *guess* both Miyabi & ISM would be fine to go over them but since I've never done it, I'd call the vendor and double check.

I've used both without any special attention to vinyl graphics before w no ill effects but ya never know about matte stuff so sure dont take my word for it:

Post Thanks / Like

Not the greatest shots upclose, but this entire truck has a two layer coating of Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Coating, paint coating, nano glass paint coating

this application was applied in early 2018 when the truck was purchased. I was tasked with modding the truck ( all appearance changes, and a detail including the coating).

this truck lives in Dallas, and i see it about 2-3 times a year...the owner hand washes and dries with MF only and still looks the same ( last seen about 6 months ago.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Ford Raptor - ? On Plastic Trim and Matte Vnyl Stripes/Graphics-img_04321-jpg