autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

This Pollen Thing!

This is my first year that I've really been OCD about my car...and now it's pollen season! I've searched and read quite a few post from the past, thinking about A process but all in all I think I may be hosed for the next couple of months. My car has Pinnacle Liquid Souveran as the LSP and I'll use Crystal Mist as a QD..not good for pollen!

As I think about a process, I keep coming back to...you're hosed.

Hear is one of my thoughts for a quick wash, not the "weekly wash" but to keep me from going nuts:
    1. Buy power washer with a foam cannon (i need one too)
    2. Buy good foaming shampoo such as BF Foam Soap
    3. Foam car in the evenings or when the pollen is real heavy, let dwell.
    4. Rinse

Pretty simple process so far...

5. The Drying part is where I think I get into trouble...since I don't want to touch the car with a towel since the left over pollen is still on the car and since we have very hard water this will leave water spots if I don't dry the car, I guess the only possible way to dry it would be to use the leaf blower?

I do have Sonax BSD on hand, would BSD "hold on to" the pollen as much as Liquid Souveran? I do understand that I cant get away from the pollen (unless I go antartica for a while), but would the BSD be a better LSP option for the next couple of months?

Thank you for your input.

JF

Post Thanks / Like

Re: This Pollen Thing!

I think we have all "lost" this battle in the past.

I have just come to accept that my truck will be green/yellow until it rains from about mid-May to mid-June here.

I quit battling pollen after I washed and dried the truck once, and it was literally green/yellow about 2 minutes after I was finished.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

3. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My eye is severely irritated from all the pollen but at least my car is clean at the moment.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfro View Post
    This is my first year that I've really been OCD about my car...and now it's pollen season! I've searched and read quite a few post from the past, thinking about A process but all in all I think I may be hosed for the next couple of months. My car has Pinnacle Liquid Souveran as the LSP and I'll use Crystal Mist as a QD..not good for pollen!

As I think about a process, I keep coming back to...you're hosed.

Hear is one of my thoughts for a quick wash, not the "weekly wash" but to keep me from going nuts:
    1. Buy power washer with a foam cannon (i need one too)
    2. Buy good foaming shampoo such as BF Foam Soap
    3. Foam car in the evenings or when the pollen is real heavy, let dwell.
    4. Rinse

Pretty simple process so far...

5. The Drying part is where I think I get into trouble...since I don't want to touch the car with a towel since the left over pollen is still on the car and since we have very hard water this will leave water spots if I don't dry the car, I guess the only possible way to dry it would be to use the leaf blower?

I do have Sonax BSD on hand, would BSD "hold on to" the pollen as much as Liquid Souveran? I do understand that I cant get away from the pollen (unless I go antartica for a while), but would the BSD be a better LSP option for the next couple of months?

JF
    I use Liquid Souveran on my vehicles as well and during the spring when the pollen gets bad I hit them with the pressure washer and blow dry with the leaf blower. When I do a full wash with the foam cannon (when the cars are really dirty after rain), I'll use Pinnacle Spray Wax or DG Aquawax as a drying aid. This also helps to prolong the protection of the LSP. As long as I'm getting decent beading the leaf blower gets 90% of the water off the vehicle. I would stay away from just using Crystal Mist and wiping down the vehicle as you will most likely instill swirls in the finish.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve used Crystal Mist as a stand alone QD but the car was extremely clean to begin with.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

This is my first year that I've really
    been OCD about my car...and now it's
    pollen season!

I've searched and read quite a few post
    from the past, thinking about A process
    but all in all I think I may be hosed for
    the next couple of months.

As I think about a process,
    I keep coming back to...you're hosed.

•I’ll suggest that you give this product a try:
    McKee's 37 Pollen-X Acrylic Shield 16 oz.
    -[Sale Price: $5.50; {You Save $12.49 (69%)}]

Product “description”:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick McKees37 View Post
    What we discovered (by accident no less)
    is just how well this acrylic polymer that
    we developed resists pollen build up. How?

I couldn't tell you, and neither can my
    chemist, but it's incredible how well this
    concoction of chemicals works to keep
    your vehicle clean and shiny.

It's magic in a bottle.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

JF
    In my opinion, and it may be different than what others think, BSD will “repel” pollen a bit better than Liquid Liquid Souveran topped with Crystal Mist. If Liquid Souveran isn’t freshly applied, it may not be attracting much more than “neutral” amounts, the Crystal Mist mixed with static from touching is going to be a magnet. So whether you keep the old Liquid Souveran, or top it with BSD (what I would do), just don’t top with carnauba-rich Crystal Mist.

Having BSD on top will likely help self cleaning when you hose the car and dry with the blower.... so it will be easier to clean until 1 hour later when it’s covered in pollen again, but us OCD people will take whatever small victories we can.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post

•I’ll suggest that you give this product a try:
    McKee's 37 Pollen-X Acrylic Shield 16 oz.
    -[Sale Price: $5.50; {You Save $12.49 (69%)}]

Product “description”:

Bob
    Thank you very much Bob...any recommendation coming from you carries a lot of weight, I just ordered two bottles!

Jay

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever you do, don’t use Bead Maker. It should be called pollen magnet.

I just live with the pollen for a few days and wash weekly. I don’t do rinseless washes during pollen season, that crap is way too abrasive.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    In my opinion, and it may be different than what others think, BSD will “repel” pollen a bit better than Liquid Liquid Souveran topped with Crystal Mist. If Liquid Souveran isn’t freshly applied, it may not be attracting much more than “neutral” amounts, the Crystal Mist mixed with static from touching is going to be a magnet. So whether you keep the old Liquid Souveran, or top it with BSD (what I would do), just don’t top with carnauba-rich Crystal Mist.

Having BSD on top will likely help self cleaning when you hose the car and dry with the blower.... so it will be easier to clean until 1 hour later when it’s covered in pollen again, but us OCD people will take whatever small victories we can.

I think I may give that a try this weekend, I just remember using it last year on top of PNS but with a soft clear coat it was a huge task to wipe off, I still use it on my wife X3 though. I just ordered McKee's Pollen-X Acrylic Shield but it won't be here until mid-week at the earliest, may be an opportunity to do a little experimentation between the two.

Again, thank you for your help.

JF

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast