autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

22ple HPC Application

Hi guys, I was planning on coating my car with 22ple HPC after reading through all the posts here about the ease of use and results etc. However I had the following questions:

1. Since I don't have a garage but a private driveway with plenty of shade from building walls can I apply the coating outdoors if I take into account the weather, humidity and wind ? I have normally done paint corrections outdoors previously without any issues and have a good knowledge of detailing. I will be using good detailing practices with rag company microfibers etc.

2. Before the coating I plan on using Griots Garage FCC for the paint correction ? How does the FCC sit with Lexus Paint particularly the Liquid Platinum ?

3. If I can do the coating outdoors and want to do (2) coats then how should I dust off the car after 24 hours to apply the second coat?

Mike Phillips

Re: 22ple HPC Application

Quote Originally Posted by lesner555 View Post

Hi guys, I was planning on coating my car with 22ple HPC after reading through all the posts here about the ease of use and results etc. However I had the following questions:

1. Since I don't have a garage but a private driveway with plenty of shade from building walls can I apply the coating outdoors if I take into account the weather, humidity and wind ? I have normally done paint corrections outdoors previously without any issues and have a good knowledge of detailing. I will be using good detailing practices with rag company microfibers etc.

Yes. Follow directions. If the directions state to wipe the section you coated after 30 seconds, then wipe the section after 30 seconds. The surface should be dry and set after this so you shouldn't have any "dust sticking to paint" issues. Then continue to move around the car.

2. Before the coating I plan on using Griots Garage FCC for the paint correction ? How does the FCC sit with Lexus Paint particularly the Liquid Platinum ?
    I don't know about Lexus Liquid Platinum - the COLOR doesn't matter anyways - you're working on the clearcoat layer. Griot's Fast Correction Cream is great.

3. If I can do the coating outdoors and want to do (2) coats then how should I dust off the car after 24 hours to apply the second coat?
    Are you supposed to wait 24 hours?

If so -then I don't have a BEST way to clean the car after 24 hours. Here are options, not sure which is the best or good?

Wash with just water?
    Wash with water and the 22ple Maintenance Wash?
    Wipe with a clean dry fluffy microfiber towels to remove dust?
    Wipe with a panel wipe?

I don't know.

If the car sits outside over night though - you'll want to do something.

Can you coat within an hour or so of installing the first application? I did this with GYEON Q2 Matte on a matte finish on a Mercedes-Benz.

Mike Phillips

Hope the above helps and...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Post Thanks / Like

The downside to 22ple coatings is the time frame in between layers. I messaged 22ple and they stated 8-12 hours between layers and they recommend two.

You would be fine getting one layer down and then per 22ple add VS1. Let VS1 protect the coating overnight just in case there is dew which can affect a coating.

You don't want to get the coating wet too soon. Most coatings don't like to get wet for 24 hours. So I would not consider that as an option but that is just me.

What you could do is let the first layer cure for a week and after the first wash, prep wipe and apply a second. This would mean to not apply a spray sealant like their VS1 after the first layer.

Here are the instructions from DI

Application Instructions:
    Prior to coating, always prepare paint by polishing to perfection. Remove any polish residue with a thorough wash followed by an IPA wipe down to remove any remaining oily residue.
    Stir the content well prior to use
    Apply a few drops of HPC onto a 22ple Glass Coat Applicator and proceed to apply it onto the paint work in a straight line motion, taking care that the application covers all areas without leaving gaps.
    Allow approximately 3 minutes of dwell time (at 25 degrees C / 77 degrees F) or slightly longer in colder (below 20 degrees C / 68 degrees F) ambient temperature. Wait for the freshly coated surface to hazed up before removing the glass coat softly with the microfiber towel.
    It is highly recommended to cure the surface under infra-red curing lamp.
    If you choose to cure the glass coat under infra-red curing lamp, we recommend the following settings: Set temperature at 65 degrees C / 150 degrees F, cure for between 6 to 8 minutes from a distance of around 2 feet.
    Under ambient curing, allowed approx. 2 hours to settle, then finished off with spray of VS1 Final Coat to complete the application workflow.
    For infra-red curing, you may apply VS1 Final Coat once the surface has cooled down to ambient temperature. Do not apply VS1 Final Coat while the surface is still warm.

Durability: 3 ~ 4 years
    Recommended: 2 ~ 3 layers, 12 hours apart

More from the site

Apply evenly over entire cool and dry panel. Buff residues lightly once surface began to haze (around 3-5 mins). Apply additional layers after 12hrs as desired.
    *Always finish with 22PLE VS1 Final Coat.
    Tack time: 8-12hrs

Post Thanks / Like

Use a different coating. I feel you will either

A: mar the paint trying to clean w/o enough lubricity.

B: add some sort of chemical that either isn’t fully removed or fully or it may affect coating getting it wet.

If you want to give AG your business try Car Pros Cquartz UK 3.0 (my pick) or a gyeon product. Both great companies.

If not their are other great brands were you can add a second layer within an hour or two.

22ple dosn’t make sense for you with out storage.

Maybe rent a storage for a week/month just to use for coverage if you do want 22ple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You've received great advice on the coatings, so I'll weigh in on the choice of polish. Like Mike mentioned, in many cases paint color is not important. Go with a quality polish and it will make any color look good.

If Lexus paint is anything like their parent company Toyota and most Japanese automakers, the paint will be quite soft and easy to correct. FCC might be far more aggressive than you really need. What is the condition of the paint right now? What types of pads are you using? The aggressiveness of the pads should be factored into the approach as well.

I have been able to do quite a bit of correcting on Toyota vehicles with only a medium cut pad and a finishing polish like Sonax 04-06, Hyperpolish, or Meguiars Ultimate Polish. In the Griots line I'd start with Correcting Cream or Perfecting Polish and see the results before going clear to the most aggressive polish. A compound on very soft paint might not leave the paint as glossy as you'd like and possibly remove more clear coat than is actually needed.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    You've received great advice on the coatings, so I'll weigh in on the choice of polish. Like Mike mentioned, in many cases paint color is not important. Go with a quality polish and it will make any color look good.

If Lexus paint is anything like their parent company Toyota and most Japanese automakers, the paint will be quite soft and easy to correct. FCC might be far more aggressive than you really need. What is the condition of the paint right now? What types of pads are you using? The aggressiveness of the pads should be factored into the approach as well.

I have been able to do quite a bit of correcting on Toyota vehicles with only a medium cut pad and a finishing polish like Sonax 04-06, Hyperpolish, or Meguiars Ultimate Polish. In the Griots line I'd start with Correcting Cream or Perfecting Polish and see the results before going clear to the most aggressive polish. A compound on very soft paint might not leave the paint as glossy as you'd like and possibly remove more clear coat than is actually needed.

Thank you for the extremely valuable advice ! The condition of the paint is in very good condition I would say with some swirls marks. It's a 2013 GS 350 with only 15K miles. I will be using the Lake Country 5/12 inch white heavy polishing flat pads,

Post Thanks / Like

I use the same pads, they are my go-to for most jobs.

I would start with a light polish with the pad and see if everything is correcting out the way you'd like. You should be pretty surprised at the results. If you aren't happy or there are some trouble spots, I'd step down to a medium grade polish. On that soft Toyota family paint you should do pretty well.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nate is right on the money.

Using the "Least aggressive first" method is the way to go, and FCC can be downright aggressive when you need it to be.

I'd go with Perfecting Cream first, then Correcting Cream if need be.

It is always best to have all 3 on hand. (If not Griot's Creams, then the equivalent in other brands).

Like Nate said, you will be surprised sometimes at how a light polish will tackle some imperfections.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I use the same pads, they are my go-to for most jobs.

I would start with a light polish with the pad and see if everything is correcting out the way you'd like. You should be pretty surprised at the results. If you aren't happy or there are some trouble spots, I'd step down to a medium grade polish. On that soft Toyota family paint you should do pretty well.
    Great thanks ! Can you give me a few options for the light polishes and a few for the medium grade polish..... I might have half bottle of Wolfgang TSR as well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast