autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Interior detailer + ONR clay question

Hi guys,

I have some questions if someone can please guide me. I am a newbie.

1. What's a good interior detailing/cleaning product. I already have Tuff Stuff for my seats. I'd like a little shine.
    "Chemical Guys Total Interior" has good Amazon reviews, but I don't think it leaves any shine (which I want).

2. I have Optimum No Rinse and Aero Cosmetics Wash Wax All. After using either of them, can I use Mothers clay bar? If so, should I use the Mothers Instant Detailer that came with the clay bar - or should I use more of ONR or Wash Wax All as the lubricant?

There is a video on Youtube where a guy from Optimum uses ONR and then uses a clay towel with Optimum Car Wax. But I'd like to know if I can use a clay bar.

3. If clay bar is okay to do after a rinseless/waterless wash, as a next step, should I use "CarPro Eraser" before the last step of wax?

4. After doing ONR (and clay), if I just use either Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax or Collinite 845 - is that enough? Or should I use a separate sealant as well? If so, which one please?

Thanks for any guidance guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Interior detailer + ONR clay question

1- I have no suggestions for shiny products. You'll find that most of us here want products that don't add any shine.
    2- Use the Mothers detailer that came with the clay. When you run out of that, it's ok to mix ONR as clay lube and use that.
    3- You can use Eraser before the wax but it's not a must, if the car is clean and dry you're ready to apply the wax.
    4- Applying just the wax is enough if that's what you want to do. Keep in mind most waxes last weeks instead of months like a sealant would. You can layer both, so apply a sealant like Jescar Powerlock+ and top it with Collinite 845. That combo should last about 6 months.

I would not clay a vehicle that is not going to be polished. Claying, especially done by someone with less experience, will get the paint marred and looking worse (though smooth) and then that has to be polished to look good again before applying a sealant/wax.
    Bruno Soares

3. Thanks getgoing thanked for this post
    Likes getgoing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    1- I have no suggestions for shiny products. You'll find that most of us here want products that don't add any shine.
    2- Use the Mothers detailer that came with the clay. When you run out of that, it's ok to mix ONR as clay lube and use that.
    3- You can use Eraser before the wax but it's not a must, if the car is clean and dry you're ready to apply the wax.
    4- Applying just the wax is enough if that's what you want to do. Keep in mind most waxes last weeks instead of months like a sealant would. You can layer both, so apply a sealant like Jescar Powerlock+ and top it with Collinite 845. That combo should last about 6 months.

I would not clay a vehicle that is not going to be polished. Claying, especially done by someone with less experience, will get the paint marred and looking worse (though smooth) and then that has to be polished to look good again before applying a sealant/wax.
    Dear Bruno,

Thanks for willing to help.

1. Can you recommend a non-shiny product then please?

(I was looking at Griots and they have two products, "Interior Cleaner" and "Interior Detailer", but I am confused which one I need. I only mentioned this brand as an example. I'm guessing Cleaner means the same thing as All-purpose-cleaner?)

I am not familiar with polish products, can you recommend something please? That I can apply with just a microfiber towel or applicator.
    So you are recommending Clay ->Polish -> Eraser -> Sealant/Wax? Or does Polish come after Eraser?

Post Thanks / Like

If you would like shine for the interior, I would suggest Meguiar's Ultimate Interior Detailer. It leaves behind a glossy finish. I wouldn't recommend using it on the dash because it can be too shiny and cause glare on your windshield.

Meguiars Ultimate Interior Detailer

6. Thanks getgoing thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My favorite for interior cleaning is McKee’s 37 FAST Interior Detailer but I bet the Griots product would also work well.

There are many polishes out there but I don’t think you’ll have a lot of good results doing it by hand. Are you willing to spend a few hundred on a machine and pads? If not I’d be more inclined to just skip clay and go straight to your wax. Eraser really isn’t a big deal if you’re not doing a coating, if you haven’t purchased that yet, save your money.

Have you tried the baggie test to see if the paint actually needs the clay?

The Baggie Test - How to inspect for above surface bonded contaminants
    Bruno Soares

8. Thanks getgoing thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    My favorite for interior cleaning is McKee’s 37 FAST Interior Detailer but I bet the Griots product would also work well.
    Is it just me, or is the McKee’s Fasf Interior Detailer slightly grabby compared to Megs Quik Interior Detailer? I’ve only used it once so far and it might’ve been due to the towels I was using [Kirklands] but holy crap that’s the major con that stood out as far as 1st impression.

My bottle of Megs QID stinks like vinegar, but boy does it make for smooth wipedowns while providing adequate cleaning ability.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Is it just me, or is the McKee’s Fasf Interior Detailer slightly grabby compared to Megs Quik Interior Detailer? I’ve only used it once so far and it might’ve been due to the towels I was using [Kirklands] but holy crap that’s the major con that stood out as far as 1st impression.

My bottle of Megs QID stinks like vinegar, but boy does it make for smooth wipedowns while providing adequate cleaning ability.
    Hmm I'm never experienced that personally. It's absolutely one if not my number one favorite interior cleaner/detailer.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfielder32087 View Post
    Hmm I'm never experienced that personally. It's absolutely one if not my number one favorite interior cleaner/detailer.

It’s bugging me that I don’t know where a single 1 of my once large batch of Megs Supreme Shine microfibers are... Like how did they all completely disappear? Lol.
    It’s gotta be the Kirklands then.. I’m going to test it again right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    It’s bugging me that I don’t know where a single 1 of my once large batch of Megs Supreme Shine microfibers are... Like how did they all completely disappear? Lol.
    It’s gotta be the Kirklands then.. I’m going to test it again right now.
    Very possible. I've never used any of the Kirkland towels before. I typically use the Rag Company Edgeless 245s for interior wipe downs and they've given me no issues.

Towels can definitely make a difference. I remember the first time I used N 914 as a WW and I despised it, it was crazy grabby. Starting using TRC pluffles and it makes the process so much better and since then it's been the only WW product I use.

13. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfielder32087 View Post
    Very possible. I've never used any of the Kirkland towels before. I typically use the Rag Company Edgeless 245s for interior wipe downs and they've given me no issues.

Towels can definitely make a difference. I remember the first time I used N 914 as a WW and I despised it, it was crazy grabby. Starting using TRC pluffles and it makes the process so much better and since then it's been the only WW product I use.

Disregard my previous comment about Fast Interior Detailer being grabby... 2nd try seemed fine enough as far as that aspect + it passed with flying colors as far as cleaning ability for it’s intended purpose.

I tried to only use 1 side of the towel, but it just kept on cleaning. Lol.

This stuff smells alot like Eternity cologne, which also happens to be my all time favorite go to stuff.

P.s. I would’ve done a side by side half interior test between both interior detailers, but I’m dropping my car off at the dealer tomorrow morning and didn’t want to risk having it smell like vinegar..

15. Likes bfielder32087 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast