autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Route Causes of Defects/Swirls/Scratches

I have learned a heck of a lot on paint correction and detailing since I discovered this forum about a year and a half ago, and always continue to learn more via great/detailed/informative writeups that alot of really talented people submit on this forum. But, one thing I think is lacking as a conversation piece on the forum is, what causes all these vehicles that required fixing? I think we need more instruction/conversation on prevention.

For instance... I know to never take my vehicles to a mechanical car wash, I now use a 2 bucket approach, as well as a foam gun, and microfiber towels when washing my vehicles, but yet still, after years of owning a vehicle, they somehow come to the stage of need paint correction...ie swirls, scratches on plastic lenses etc... So my question is, how can someone who enjoys a clean vehicle, and who washes/waxes there vehicles frequently, best preserve good paint/trim as a vehicle ages? Is it just an inevitable thing I need to come to grasps with? And if so, how do people that NEVER wash there vehicles, end up with, 2-3 years down the road, a vehicle in similiar condition or requiring simliar paint correction rather than much worse? Does being anal about a clean vehicle and weekly washes induce wear in itself?
    Hopefully I'll get some good perspectives because I think this is the one area of knowledge I am lacking.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Route Causes of Defects/Swirls/Scratches

Any time you touch the paint, you introduce the possibility of incurring damage. If someone doesn't give a damn, and the car never gets washed, that will not damage the paint in and of itself. It's the people who have pride in the appearance of their ride and take the effort to clean it who end up having problems..ironic, isn't it? For the folks on this forum, it's the restoration and show-car results that make the work so absolutely worth it. The things you mentioned, 2 bucket method, etc will go a long way to minimizing damage. For me, nothing beats a buffing wheel, my tunes, and a cigar.

Post Thanks / Like

washing and drying are two of the biggest culprits in swirls and scratches. Quick detailing when car is much to dirty for it can be another.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    washing and drying are two of the biggest culprits in swirls and scratches. Quick detailing when car is much to dirty for it can be another.
    I think this is a major problem. Many many people want to, and try to use a QD or waterless wipe product when there is simply to much dust/dirt/debris on the car. I know this year I'm going to use the conventional 2 bucket wash w/ DG #901 much much more often than I did last year. Last year I tried to use Poorboy's S&W a little to much I think.
    I also tend to reach for conventional washes w/ pressure washer and a good soap rather than a rinseless wash.

Post Thanks / Like

You just need to accept that you will get some swirls even with proper washing techniques. Dirt can actually do more damage to the paint by sitting on it for to long then cleaning it off will.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Skillmaster View Post
    You just need to accept that you will get some swirls even with proper washing techniques. Dirt can actually do more damage to the paint by sitting on it for to long then cleaning it off will.
    especially contaminents like acid rain, egg, birdie-doo, pollen and other fallout.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    especially contaminents like acid rain, egg, birdie-doo, pollen and other fallout.

I've been wondering if pollen is course enough to actually affect the paint.. It's definitely spring time here in the deep south (louisiana) with all our pine and oak trees blossoming and every day there is a nice healthy coat of pollen on EVERYTHING. I generally just rinse it off with the hose vs a duster. To top it off I was showing off my fresh polished car to my father inlaw and he was like wow you really brought out the metal flake - well there is no metal flake. From the day and a half since I polished it looked like the trees had sapped all over it and I don't even park near them! It's must be sap fallout just in the air - I didn't think sap floated in the air so maybe it's something else.

Post Thanks / Like

Less touching = less marring, I don't use drying towels. Electric blow ftw , what little water droplets are left I just go about normally with qd' and microfiber.
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like

Most common causes of scratches to a paint film surface are:
    • Improper methodology / tools used when washing paint surface. This is the most common cause of surface scratching / marring) and accounts for as much as 75% + of surface marring
    • A large proportion of all paintwork scratches are caused by automated car washes. Minute particles of hard materials, such as road dust and sand, become lodged in the rotating brushes and etch scratches into the paint surface. These “hair scratches” are particularly noticeable in darker paint shades.
    • Using an automated car wash or using an unsuitable applicator or brush to clean the vehicle or remove snow etc
    • Placing or dragging an object across the trunk lid
    • Jewellery (rings, bracelets, etc) coming into contact with paint (i.e. rings abrading door handle recess)
    • Using too much pressure with a car duster on a dusty / dirty surface
    • Pulling a car-cover over a very dusty / dirty vehicle or dirt /grit on the inside of the cover
    • Wiping a dry surface with a dry cloth
    • Infrequent rinsing of brush or wash mitt when washing vehicle

• Using a dirty towel (dirt / grit trapped in fibres) or towels and / or applicators that contain polyester (plastic) threads
    • Using a towel or cloth that is unsuitable for paint film surfaces
    • Not thoroughly rinsing road grime before drying
    • Using a car wash concentrate that doesn’t suspend grit / dirt before it gets rinsed away
    • Improper removal of environmental contamination (pollen, bird excrement, etc)
    • Improper use of a water-blade (i.e. not rinsing blade surface after each pass)
    • Wiping a spot of dirt / dust with your hands to maintain a ‘pristine’ look
    • Using an unnecessarily abrasive automotive detailer’s clay or insufficient lubrication

Polishing can cause scratches by;
    • Using a foam pad that is too aggressive is common.
    • High rotation speeds; creates friction-heat, which will remove gloss and also soften the paint pushing scratches deeper into the surface (excess friction-heat can also produce burns in the paint surface)
    • Using an overly aggressive compound / polish will leave swirl marks or dull the surface
    • Using insufficient product (dry polishing) removes the oils in the polish that provide surface lubrication thereby causing surface scratches
    • Not keeping the foam pad in full contact with the paint, by lifting a corner of the foam pad will cause scratch marks

Post Thanks / Like

Great write up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast