autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Compound and Polish recommendations

Looking for advice on a compound and polish to prep a 5 y/o Accord in
    good shape paint wise, prior to a coating. I’ve used search and read a ton or articles, but could use some advice.
    I haven’t compounded before, only polish and sealed.

Thinking I should stay in with same manufacturer if I plan on doing both. Same with the pads. Or I could be wrong.......

Post Thanks / Like

Compound and Polish recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by kenshotx View Post
    good shape paint wise, prior to a coating. I’ve used search and read a ton or articles, but could use some advice.

Thinking I should stay in with same manufacturer if I plan on doing both. Same with the pads. Or I could be wrong.......
    Hi , being that you haven’t compounded before I would recommend the Griots Boss system, I just used it yesterday in Mike’s class and liked how easy it was to use. It’s a system so there is not much guesswork, the polishes,compounds are very user friendly and have great work time. We used the orange correcting cream with orange correcting pad on this vehicle, I’ve also heard great things of the fast correcting cream. The Rupes system is good too though. Go with the least aggressive approach, and do a test spot with it ,especially if your saying it’s in good shape and remember to do a prep wipe prior to coating Compound and Polish recommendations

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Compound and Polish recommendations

Given that most Honda’s have soft paint, I would seriously consider not using a compound/polish but instead using a good all in one such as Blackfires One Step with either a orange or white pad.

I have a Black Acura TLX and that combo has worked amazingly for me, it knocked out the marring I did last year and nailed the other imperfections!

Jay

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

@Jayfro How do you like your TLX ? I had a TL for 15 years and loved it. Just gave my 4 Runner to my daughter and am seriously looking at the TLX instead of the overly
    popular ES350 here in Dallas.

Post Thanks / Like

Since Honda paints usually is on the softer side you often don't need to be useing a heavy cut compound and heavy cut pad. Then it's also much about the results you tries to achieve. Carpro Reflect or Carpro Essence is 2 great choices for the finishing polish step and you can combo it with their Gloss Pad. You may get away with the cutting step to use Reflect and a compounding pad. Or something like the Carpro ClearCut on a polishing pad. And then finishing polish it. Sonax Cut and Finish with Sonax Perfect Finish is a medium cut polish and finishing polish that you have a great cut from a with a heavier cutting pad too like Reflect. Rupes Yellow Foam Pad is awesome to use on softer paints and if you have a 8mm free spinning DA polisher you may want to get the Rupes Yellow Foam Pad for the Mille that's thinner than the original one. Buff and Shine Uro-Tec Foam Pads are pretty good too. Also Buff and Shine Uro-Fiber 50/50 pads for cutting step with a medium cut polish or polish is also an option to go with on compounding step a softer paint.
    Meguiars M110/M210 is designed to be used on the softer paints as well if you like the non-diminishing abrasive technology. The Maroon Light cutting pad is a little hidden gem that many skip and goes with the mf cutting pads instead. But for cutting on softer paints do the test spots thoroughly and inspect them closely with great lights. And see where your least aggressive combo gets. It's in the finishing polish step you get the extra gloss from. So don't chase a lot of the deeper defects on the paint and just improve them to be less noticeble.

Which polisher do you have?
    And what coating are you going to be useing? Carpro Essence is a finishing and primer polish for the Carpro coatings that you get an awesome finish from it. Most coatings has their own primer polish and can be a good step as they usually has very fine abrasives in them and gets the prep work for the coating a little easier to do.

/ Tony

6. Likes Farmallluvr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A couple questions come to mind.

Are you working by hand or machine? If by machine then which one?

How familiar are you with the the prep and application of a coating?

What products do you have on hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfro View Post
    Given that most Honda’s have soft paint, I would seriously consider not using a compound/polish but instead using a good all in one such as Blackfires One Step with either a orange or white pad.

I have a Black Acura TLX and that combo has worked amazingly for me, it knocked out the marring I did last year and nailed the other imperfections!

Jay

He wants to use a coating so Blackfire One Step would not be an option.

8. Likes Detailchick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Detailchick View Post
    Who painted the stripes on that Camaro? And better yet, who is the customer that accepted such a mismatch?

"Attention to Detail" folks. Is it such a lost concept?

For the compound/polish recommendation... I'm a Meguiar's 105/205 guy.

Post Thanks / Like

@Jayfro How do you like your TLX ? I had a TL for 15 years and loved it. Just gave my 4 Runner to my daughter and am seriously looking at the TLX instead of the overly
    I love my TLX, it’s a 2015, V6 with the Tech Package. I picked it up about year ago. The only down side is that it’s black...beautiful when clean but when it’s not, well it doesn’t stay dirty for very long!

Jay

Post Thanks / Like

Second on the griots. Used Correcting cream on a Boss orange pad and Car Pros essence to polish for coating. Cam out great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Wife has a 16 TLX SH-AWD with the tech package and it’s been an amazing car. I personally don’t love the push button gear selector but you get used to it.

My only complaint is the quality of the backup camera. Newer one may be better. Overall it’s been a fantastic car. We are fans of Honda’s though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast