autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Pointless to pre-spray with ONR if I am doing a regular soap wash?

Hey, is it pointless to pre-soak with ONR if I am doing a regular soap and water wash?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pointless to pre-spray with ONR if I am doing a regular soap wash?

Quote Originally Posted by wyclef View Post
    Hey, is it pointless to pre-soak with ONR if I am doing a regular soap and water wash?
    Not pointless at all. It’ll help soften the crud and add slight lubricity. I think of it as better safe than sorry and totally worth it if you have the pre-spray resources available. Worst case, you used $0.20 and 5 extra minutes of time that wasn’t needed. Best case, you cleaned better and reduced some swirling.

3. Likes Jim w, PaulMys, mc2hill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

totally a good idea

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Not pointless at all. It’ll help soften the crud and add slight lubricity. I think of it as better safe than sorry and totally worth it if you have the pre-spray resources available. Worst case, you used $0.20 and 5 extra minutes of time that wasn’t needed. Best case, you cleaned better and reduced some swirling.
    ^^^ Couldn't have said it better myself ^^^
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    ...totally worth it if you have the pre-spray resources available.
    Agreed. And when it comes to "pre-spray resources" you can get by with something as simple as a pump-up hand sprayer like one of these :

Wolfgang Chemical Resistant Pressure Sprayer, pressurized spray bottle, pump sprayer

I found something similar locally, and a bit cheaper.

48oz. of solution (I use Uber at waterless ratio) is more than enough to pre-treat our mid-size SUV.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with pre spraying car with something. If no foam cannon then yes get a garden sprayer and go to town with a rinseless/waterless pre soak.

I just got the IK 12 and use it to foam presoak when not using PW. I use a snow foam and its awesome. If not wanting to foam a handheld pump sprayer will be fine.

As Acura said, It can’t hurt and anything that provides lubricity will probably help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I have the IK 1.5 foamer that I use for wheels, haven’t been all that happy with it so I got the Marolex 2l pump sprayer I will use for the ONR which I really like doesn’t lose pressure as fast as the IK 1.5 foamer. Maybe the larger ones are better. Supposed to be in the high 40s over the weekend and sunny so probably will try out a few things. Anyone know if ONR wash and wax will work under 50 degrees? I was using Opticlean in 24 degree weather and it was clouding up on the panels a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I have the IK 1.5 foamer that I use for wheels, haven’t been all that happy with it so I got the Marolex 2l pump sprayer I will use for the ONR which I really like doesn’t lose pressure as fast as the IK 1.5 foamer. Maybe the larger ones are better. Supposed to be in the high 40s over the weekend and sunny so probably will try out a few things. Anyone know if ONR wash and wax will work under 50 degrees? I was using Opticlean in 24 degree weather and it was clouding up on the panels a bit.
    Most sprayers will be fine to cover your car in one to two pump ups. Foamers need alot more air/pressure so all of them require alot more pumping.

Never used ONR. Most my rinseless’sxwork sub 50 degrees but they usually dont leave anything (wax/polymers) behind. That is usually component that will streak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know if ONR wash and wax will work under 50 degrees? I was using Opticlean in 24 degree weather and it was clouding up on the panels a bit.
    I have plenty of gloss WWs and RWs. As long as the surface is a few degrees above 32, they shouldn’t cloud. If the weather is barely above 32 and there is wind or no sun, you might have clouding. Anywhere above 35-36 shouldn’t cause issues.

Plus, you are only pre-treating with ONR and then washing. Shouldn’t have any issues above 32. NOTE: At 24 degF, even if using warm water to mix, I would expect any WW to start frosting/clouding within seconds after thinning on the surface.

Post Thanks / Like

Does the pre-rinse with ONR happen after you spray car with hose to remove loose dust? Or, are you pre-soaking first, then rinsing followed by soap wash?
    When I foam prior to bucket wash I’m foaming dirty car, then rinse, then soap wash. For rinseless wash, I pre-soak, then go right to using bucket of towels (Gary Dean) method. Never fully trusted the Big red sponge, but that’s a totally separate discussion.
    Curious how you integrate rinseless solution into soap bucket wash process.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast