autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing sealants

My first post!

I'm considering The Last Coat v2 or TW Seal and Shine for my cars. I love the fact they are safe on multiple surfaces and very durable (we go through 5 months of slushy, salty roads every year).

However, its the durability that's leading to my question...

After 6 months, I like to start fresh with a new coat of protection. Given how durable and chemical resistant these products seem to be (see torture tests online with soaps and cleaners), how do I remove what's left on the surface after 6 months without having to polish with DA every time?

Thanks!

Mike Phillips

Re: Removing sealants

Quote Originally Posted by ACDC932 View Post

My first post!
    Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Just curios, any reason that stands out that you joined our forum instead of the myriad of Facebook Groups?

After 6 months, I like to start fresh with a new coat of protection. Given how durable and chemical resistant these products seem to be (see torture tests online with soaps and cleaners), how do I remove what's left on the surface after 6 months without having to polish with DA every time?

Thanks!

Well I'm not a YouTube Influencer so take what I have to say with a grain of cyber salt, but regardless of all the torture tests, the ONLY way in my humble opinion you can know 100% of anything left of the surface is removed off the surface is to machine polish using a fine cut polish.

At the same time you'll also undo any normal wear-n-tear damage.

Maybe others have a different opinion?

Me? I'd use a good one-step cleaner/wax and this will remove everything and then top the horizontal surfaces with a topper that's FAST and EASY to apply and then just do this twice a year and your car will be protected and always look amazing.

Also wash carefully.

Post Thanks / Like

Is a white cutting pad gentle enough to be used every year as AIO step?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Just curios, any reason that stands out that you joined our forum instead of the myriad of Facebook Groups?

Well I'm not a YouTube Influencer so take what I have to say with a grain of cyber salt, but regardless of all the torture tests, the ONLY way in my humble opinion you can know 100% of anything left of the surface is removed off the surface is to machine polish using a fine cut polish.

At the same time you'll also undo any normal wear-n-tear damage.

Maybe others have a different opinion?

Me? I'd use a good one-step cleaner/wax and this will remove everything and then top the horizontal surfaces with a topper that's FAST and EASY to apply and then just do this twice a year and your car will be protected and always look amazing.

Also wash carefully.

Thanks. Not quite sure why I came here...just seemed like a good hub of information and of much more experienced people than me!

Just I understand what you do...you don't use a DA with polish, instead twice a year you use a cleaner wax (I'm assuming with micro-abrasives) and top the horizontal surfaces with something like a spray wax. Is that right? Does the cleaner-wax remove lots of clear-coat over time? Any products you recommend?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by gorillapr View Post

Is a white cutting pad gentle enough to be used every year as AIO step?
    The only WHITE FOAM CUTTING pad I can think of off the top of my head is the VERY AGGRESSIVE Griot's Garage white foam pad and it's SHARP.

See my article here,

Good rule of thumb when using an AIO - stick with foam polishing pads by Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Thanks. Not quite sure why I came here...just seemed like a good hub of information and of much more experienced people than me!
    I get you. I was just curious if there were any specific reason.

[QUOTE=ACDC932;1665792]

Just I understand what you do...you don't use a DA with polish, instead twice a year you use a cleaner wax (I'm assuming with micro-abrasives) and top the horizontal surfaces with something like a spray wax.

Is that right?

Yes for my own daily driver that is never parked inside a garage or under cover.

Does the cleaner-wax remove lots of clear-coat over time? Any products you recommend?
    Modern cleaner/waxes from reputable companies, or "established brands" offer high quality cleaner/waxes also called AIOs. In the old days cleaner/waxes were basically crappy compounds with a wax in them and they were very aggressive.

Here's what I show in my classes and use for my own car and customer's cars.

BLACKFIRE One Step as a first step and then follow this with the BLACKFIRE BlackICE Hybrid Liquid Wax.

The first product will strip everything off your car's paint plus remove any current swirls and scratches and leave it protected. You could stop after this.

The second product will give you on average 6 months protection. It's a NON-cleaning hybrid, part wax part sealant. Both are very easy to use and always give great results.

The above is what I do for a one-step for customers. It's fast. It's easy. It works on any paint system. And the products both wipe off easy.

Mike Phillips

Just to note, I say what I'm going to do and do what I say...

My first 3-day class for this year starts this Friday. Two of the cars pictures here are going to get the BLACKFIRE One Step/BLACKFIRE BlackIce process.

Training Cars for the February 2020 3-day Car Detailing Bootcamp Class

Probably the 1964 Cadillac and the Chevy HHR - both are black by the way.