autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wiper blade leaving streaks on windshield

Give the windshield a good polishing with a rotary or DA with Rayon pads and some type of glass polish. Ceriglass seems to be popular but Griots makes a fine glass polish that will also work. My brand new Explorer had some type of film on the windshield that left blotches behind whenever the wipers would make a pass. I started with 0000 steel wool with Invisible Glass as a lubricant. Then I moved on to clay and clay lube. Then I polished it with Griots glass polish and finished it with Griots glass sealant. The glass is smooth, blotch free, streak free and the wipers do not leave a smear.

2. Likes Thomkirby, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by detailnoob View Post
    I've tried cleaning the windshield, cleaning the wipers and claybarring the windshield, nothing has provided me with a permanent solution yet, therefore I've decided I'll give glass polish a go, specifically car pro ceriglass followed by car pro flyby forte. Has anyone tried this product before? Would this product remove the marks and provide me with a long term solution to my problem?
    Mike has a few write ups on glass polishing such as this one Glass polishing - How to remove scratches in glass

Ceriglass does a good job at cleaning glass. It does take a lot of work to try and get scratches out.

A couple things I would recommend is that once you are done polishing come back with a damp towel to remove the residue after wiping off ceriglass. Then come back with a couple prep wipes using Eraser. Follow the directions of flybyforte when applying it. Do 3 coats on the front glass.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
    Do the Ceriglass anyway.
    If you haven't polished your windshield you don't know what you have been missing.
    Yeah I'll give it a go then. I do have a lot of micro swirls in it. I don't understand though my windshield should be new from 1.5 years ago. When the dealer got the car they serviced the evaporator before putting the car up for sale and cracked the windshield so it should be new. But looks used.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
    Yeah I'll give it a go then. I do have a lot of micro swirls in it. I don't understand though my windshield should be new from 1.5 years ago. When the dealer got the car they serviced the evaporator before putting the car up for sale and cracked the windshield so it should be new. But looks used.
    1.5 years ago is not new by any means.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    1.5 years ago is not new by any means.
    My bad I meant to say my windshield's condition seems to be older than what it is. Seems more like 5-6 years of wear on it rather than just 1.5 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Scratched windshield glass is a major peeve of mine. On my 2010 BMW, I used Griot's fine glass polish on 3" rayon pads. Take your time, and do a very small section at a time. Look through the windshield to make certain you have completely removed the scratches. I treated mine with Pinnacle Black Label Glass coating when I was done. The results are excellent, but there is some pitting on my windshield that is just too deep to completely remove.
    Newer BMW owners are very limited in options to replace blades, due to the way the blades are secured to the arm. I've tried the Bosch replacements, but I've had better luck with the BMW branded ones. In fact, they are the best blades I've ever used on any vehicle. If your wiper linkage is worn, there will be chatter, no matter what blades you use. Make sure there's no free play anywhere in your linkage.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123