autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polish Age

Post Thanks / Like

Polish Age

For a weekend warrior a big bottle of polish can be a lifetime supply! I have bottles of Menzerna SF4500, Menzerna SF1500, and HD Speed that are aging. The Menzerna products are ~6 years old the HD Speed is ~4 years old. My question is does polish expire or go bad? Do certain chemicals evaporate or break down over time? I store them inside, they still *seem* to work, and I make it a point to shake the bottles a few times a year. What's everyone's experience?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polish Age

Quote Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post
    For a weekend warrior a big bottle of polish can be a lifetime supply! I have bottles of Menzerna SF4500, Menzerna SF1500, and HD Speed that are aging. The Menzerna products are ~6 years old the HD Speed is ~4 years old. My question is does polish expire or go bad? Do certain chemicals evaporate or break down over time? I store them inside, they still *seem* to work, and I make it a point to shake the bottles a few times a year. What's everyone's experience?
    If stored inside and shook occasionally it should last for years. If it separates trash it.

3. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    If stored inside and shook occasionally it should last for years. If it separates trash it.
    ^^^This^^^

That is the reason I will never buy anything more than a 16oz. bottle.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m hoping they last a looong time indoors. I haven’t seen any polishes in my collection separate yet, some being 4-5 years old.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I’m hoping they last a looong time indoors. I haven’t seen any polishes in my collection separate yet, some being 4-5 years old.
    Same here.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine have been in AZ heat (garage) for about 3 years.. and they were two years old prior to moving here (so they're over 5 years old). No issues.
    But as Paulie said, just go with 16 or 32 oz bottles for now on. Those are products that you don't need a lot of to get through a detail event.

8. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally like the 8oz bottles even better for these reasons, but very few companies even offer them. Since I only polish out my vehicles every year or two, the stuff lasts forever.

I have a 16oz bottle of Blackfire SRC compound and polish which were purchased in 2014. The last time I used those products I noticed they were starting to become harder to remove and the working time was less. Since they were such great products when the bottle was new, I'm blaming age. There is very little left at this point for either and I may toss them in favor of some fresh product.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have read by many suppliers that you should only keep for 2 years but in my personal experience i have had product last for several years. For me as long as it will shake back to a smooth consistant liquid i will continue to use it. If it has chunks or flakes within the product i will throw it away but thats just my 0.02$

Post Thanks / Like

The bottle of SF4500 is 32oz. The SF1500 and HD Speed are 16oz. I got both Menzerna polishes as my first foray into polishing along with a PC DA polisher. At the time I had no idea how long a 32oz bottle would last!

Once you take care of your car, particularly if it's new, you may never have to use it on that car again (or in the first place). Occasionally I get a car for a family member or friend to do, but that's not often.

It would be nice if more manufacturers offered 4 or 8oz bottles.

Post Thanks / Like

I buy only the 16 ounce bottles only. I bought a gallon jug once and not even close to finish it. After 2 years I was able to. Lesson learned. BTW, it was car soap not polish. Even a gallon car soap took a long time....LOL

KEEP ON ROCKING!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast