autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Spray wax streaking .. solved & Collinite 845 diluted

Yesterday, I took my black Mustang out and gave it a waterless wash and followed up with a spray wax as a maintenance. I have Collinite 845 as LSP. Today when I went out to go for a drive I noticed a significant amount of streaking. I had used Duragloss Aquawax. Having used it several times before I was surprised at the streaking. Upon investigation I found that it wasn't the AW that streaked but was the microfiber instead. So, to those who get streaking from there spray wax/detailer, try a different microfiber and of course, like I always do, just one or two sprays per panel.

Also, using our 2014 Terrain (with 845 lsp) as a tester, I diluted Collinite 845 with Megs UQW using a ratio of 1:4 (1 oz 845 : 4 oz UQW). No streaking and really worked well. I see where others have asked the same question, but not sure if anyone ever has done it. It is quicker than applying the 845 by itself. I personally think it worked great but was also wondering if any feedback on mixing the two ingredients and using it as after waterless wash followup? Thanks.

Ernie

Mike Phillips

Re: Spray wax streaking .. solved & Collinite 845 diluted

I agree. The type of towel is an important factor when working with any product on car paint.

Especially black paint.

3. Thanks ERS thanked for this post
    Likes ERS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Forgive my ignorance, what is the megs product you are referring to that you diluted with Collinite 845?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by supercharged75 View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, what is the megs product you are referring to that you diluted with Collinite 845?

Ultimate Quik Wax
    CHRIS Aka Waxmaster

6. Thanks Jolakri thanked for this post
    Likes ERS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by supercharged75 View Post

Ignorance doesn't exist when detailing. We all have more to learn. Some, like myself, much more than others. And yes, ultimate quik wax.

8. Likes supercharged75, PaulMys, rstark liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember reading here a few years ago about some similar problems with Aquawax after multiple frequent applications. Apparently, AW has a higher solids content than many spray waxes, so it can build up if applied too frequently, causing some streaking. One of the brothers from DG recommended diluting it with DG Fast Clean &Shine, their QD at a ratio of 1:3, 3 parts FCS to 1 AW.
    My DD is black and I have the opportunity to use a heated wash bay on Saturdays before work, so it gets a weekly wash there during the PA winters. I'll normally use AW as a drying aid, but I'll switch to the AW/FCS mix every 3-4 weeks, because I have seen a streaking problem using straight AW every week.

Bill

PS. Thanks for the UQW tip, ERS. I also stock D156, the pro version of UQW. The mix with 845 sounds like an experiment worth a try.

10. Likes ERS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing to consider about DG Aquawax is the amount used.

A little goes a very long way.

And as stated above....... Not using 2-3 quality MF towels is the best way to incur streaking.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting you bring this up. I'm a long time aquawax guy. The towel definitely makes a difference and the lady actually said something the other day about that while we were doing her jeep. It was streaking badly with a new towel. I find that a well seasoned towel is much better off with it than a new one.
    I used some on my truck today with my old trusty white Adam's towel and not a problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jmorlan View Post
    Interesting you bring this up. I'm a long time aquawax guy. The towel definitely makes a difference and the lady actually said something the other day about that while we were doing her jeep. It was streaking badly with a new towel. I find that a well seasoned towel is much better off with it than a new one.
    I used some on my truck today with my old trusty white Adam's towel and not a problem.

Great point.

And anything Old & Trusty is ok in my book.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillyJack View Post
    I remember reading here a few years ago about some similar problems with Aquawax after multiple frequent applications. Apparently, AW has a higher solids content than many spray waxes, so it can build up if applied too frequently, causing some streaking. One of the brothers from DG recommended diluting it with DG Fast Clean &Shine, their QD at a ratio of 1:3, 3 parts FCS to 1 AW.
    My DD is black and I have the opportunity to use a heated wash bay on Saturdays before work, so it gets a weekly wash there during the PA winters. I'll normally use AW as a drying aid, but I'll switch to the AW/FCS mix every 3-4 weeks, because I have seen a streaking problem using straight AW every week.

Bill

PS. Thanks for the UQW tip, ERS. I also stock D156, the pro version of UQW. The mix with 845 sounds like an experiment worth a try.

As I stated I tryed the 1:4 Collinite & UQW on my wifes Terrain. I do maintain our vehicles regularly to keep looking great.

Personally, I thought the Terrain did look different in a good kind of way, but was quick to dismiss that thought knowing that's what my mind wanted to think. BUT !!!!!!!! Tonight, out of the blue, my wife says, "... you know, my vehicle looks exceptionally great today!".

Of course, I didn't tell her about my experiment and only replied back to her, "... well, I did work extra hard on it yesterday." It just may be a good combo after all. Thanks for the replies.

15. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast