autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

B-Pillar Scratches : Why

First touch wash in months and I scratch the hell out of my b pillars on my Macan.

I was using a brand new Green Monster MF mitt, I had washed it with my other MFs before being used to break it in. I let it soak in the clean wash bucket (M707) for a bit while I foamed the body work. I’m just not sure why this happened. Big regret on buying MF mitts instead of the Caterpillar style.

Can anyone weigh in with how this happened and what would be the best pad + polish combo to fix this?

Green Monster Microfiber Wash Mitt w/ Cuff - 9.5 x 7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: B-Pillar Scratches : Why

Essence. And a fine polish pad like a white Rupes. The only thing to truly keep it from happening again, is to not touch it. I would try 2 layers of FeYlab self heal Lite to at least be able heat it up and fix it. Find an authorized Feynlab installer to apply it

Post Thanks / Like

It's just the nature of the beast, soft paint,at eye level and usually angled just right to capture sunlight. I just wrapped mine with ppf and it's been perfect, it's better for my household that I don't have to instruct my family on how to shut doors

4. Likes Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fixing will be easy but you can only do that so many times. I'd recommending fixing it one last time and putting PPF on it. It's not hard to do it yourself on a B pillar.
    Bruno Soares

6. Likes dcjredline liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    It's just the nature of the beast, soft paint,at eye level and usually angled just right to capture sunlight. I just wrapped mine with ppf and it's been perfect, it's better for my household that I don't have to instruct my family on how to shut doors
    I don't believe that the B pillars are painted, but a film.

Polished with Essence and applied 2 coats of CQuartz 6 months ago and doing fine.

You need to take special care in cleaning those pillars even when its coated. I use a clean and soft mf with a a waterless wash to clean.

I'm fortunate that my wife knows better than grabbing the pillar when opening and closing the door. If you have kids YSOOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a similar type of fracture that happens with the S550 Mustang's jet black plastic deck lid panel. Light polish didn't fix that in my case, it actually made it fracture more, and you've got to cut through whatever type of topcoat layer that they're putting on those things to get it clean. Not saying that's it, but if it's similar then it's super fragile, as always start out with a light polish and let us know if that makes it worse.

9. Likes The Guz, JKDesign, ERP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain ...

I just live with it.

Post Thanks / Like

That first photo looks concerning that the paint looks like it is experiencing fracturing. The second photo looks like typical defects on soft paint. If you want to avoid that then get PPF applied to them. If not then live with it and polish it from time to time and take extra care when washing and drying.

12. Likes ERP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ERP View Post
    I let it soak in the clean wash bucket (M707) for a bit while I foamed the body work.
    Did you actually pre rinse the vehicle or just foam and start washing?

Green Monster Mitt eh? I’ve never heard of these mitts. Are they supposed to be kind of like the Incredimitt/Smoothie mitt? I can’t really tell from the pic.

During a bucket wash, I try to only go over the pillars with a fresh soapy mitt and just a quik pass. Making sure to dry them with enough pressure so they finish spot free.

Luckily my gloss black pillars aren’t soft. They’ve remained swirl free.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stylo View Post
    I feel your pain ...

I just live with it.
    Never! Unless I have too.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    That first photo looks concerning that the paint looks like it is experiencing fracturing. The second photo looks like typical defects on soft paint. If you want to avoid that then get PPF applied to them. If not then live with it and polish it from time to time and take extra care when washing and drying.
    The first photo isn’t great, but the scratches are have identical paths but are just stacked on top of each other. The separation distance matches the distance between the fibers in the mitt, so it’s not fracturing it’s just a bad photo on my part. Hard to capture it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Did you actually pre rinse the vehicle or just foam and start washing?

Green Monster Mitt eh? I’ve never heard of these mitts. Are they supposed to be kind of like the Incredimitt/Smoothie mitt? I can’t really tell from the pic.

During a bucket wash, I try to only go over the pillars with a fresh soapy mitt and just a quik pass. Making sure to dry them with enough pressure so they finish spot free.

Luckily my gloss black pillars aren’t soft. They’ve remained swirl free.
    Pre-rinse, pump foamer, rinse, then soapy mitt to freshly rinsed panel. I assumed Monster Mitt was similar with a higher than average pile, I used an Xtrafluff MF mitt the other B pillar section and it came out fine looking normal. Both sides need to be cleaned up, but the Monster mitt did a number on the drivers side.

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    I don't believe that the B pillars are painted, but a film.

Polished with Essence and applied 2 coats of CQuartz 6 months ago and doing fine.

You need to take special care in cleaning those pillars even when its coated. I use a clean and soft mf with a a waterless wash to clean.

I'm fortunate that my wife knows better than grabbing the pillar when opening and closing the door. If you have kids YSOOL.
    I know on some vehicles they polish out, idk about Porsche. I’ll have to check Rennlist again.

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Fixing will be easy but you can only do that so many times. I'd recommending fixing it one last time and putting PPF on it. It's not hard to do it yourself on a B pillar.
    Xpel has precut sections for the b and c pillars so I’ll end up doing that once I get around to polishing them.

Monster mitt is either going in the trash or only for tires and rims. Haven’t decided.
    Essence Polish on a light polish pad.
    Xpel PPF.
    Thanks y’all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast