autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

15 y/o Truck Never Detailed...Compound or Damp Sand?

I have a white 2005 Crew Cab F350 DRW that has never been detailed and has a fair amount of oxidation and surface scratches. I am trying to decide how to tackle the project and trying to decide whether when it's going to be more efficient to damp sand w/ a 3000grit foam pad on my G8 and then polish with 3DOne or to try and go at it just with a Uro-Fiber pad and 3DOne.

Any thoughts on if one approach is going to be more sensible than another?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 15 y/o Truck Never Detailed...Compound or Damp Sand?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelude1 View Post
    I have a white 2005 Crew Cab F350 DRW that has never been detailed and has a fair amount of oxidation and surface scratches. I am trying to decide how to tackle the project and trying to decide whether when it's going to be more efficient to damp sand w/ a 3000grit foam pad on my G8 and then polish with 3DOne or to try and go at it just with a Uro-Fiber pad and 3DOne.

Any thoughts on if one approach is going to be more sensible than another?
    Pictures would possibly help, but if you have the pad and you have or will be getting 3D One, start least aggressive. I’ve been surprised how much a good compound can remove in the past.

3. Likes Detailchick liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a few pictures, but its soooo hard to capture the condition of the white paint in a picture. I've done some trials on it and I would say the damp sanding gives a slightly better all finish because it's able to profile down the scratches and nicks and removes most of the tiny little pits in the paint that I may or may not be able to get with just the 3dONE.

I've just never damp sanded something that big before and wanted to make sure I wasn't signing up for the harder way of doing things.

Post Thanks / Like

Let’s look at the reality of what you were doing. You are trying to revive a 15-year-old truck that has never been cared for which is a monumental task all by itself. I would try to protect as much clearcoat on that 15-year-old paint as I possibly could, and you need to ask yourself,is this going to be a show vehicle or do you just want to really clean crisp white paint. I would try a Rupes coarse wool pad with HD one, then finish with a yellow pad and HD one

6. Likes vobro, tomsteve liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It's never going to be a show truck, just want it to shine up and be easier to keep clean than the oxidized paint is. My interest is more about what's going to give a better overall job in a given amount of time. I had just heard watching some Rupes videos the damp sanding with a machine and then polishing, could potentially be a more efficient and less aggressive process than straight-up compounding.

I'm not wedded to any particular process so whatever makes the most sense.

Post Thanks / Like

I say try the method I recommended, those wool pads remove lots of ugly. Unless you have been in class with Jason Rose, it’s a skill that is learned in person not on YouTube

Mike Phillips

I would go to Google and copy and paste this into the search box

[b]Clearcoats are thin Mike Phillips['/b]

Look at the pictures. Then keep this in mind,

Sanding removes paint
    Compounding removes paint
    Polishing removes a little paint

The last thing you want to do is turn your polisher over and see the color of the basecoat on the face of the pad.

Me? I'd hit it hard using the BEAST and foam cutting pad and 3D One followed by 3D Speed. Or just go around the truck once using the 3D Speed. My guess is it's a neglected daily driver, not a show car. Keeping it simple will keep you safe and it will still look great.

10. Likes PaulMys, Dano shine, Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I will say this Mike. Over the past 6 months. I have done a roadshow with you, a 1 day with Renny, and 2 weeks ago Jason did my SV in Denver. I cannot tell you how lucky I feel to be entering the detail profession at this stage of my life with the wealth of knowledge that is available to anyone who is willing to go out and seek it. All 3 of you have something completely different to offer on any given day. And I love that about all 3 of you. I enjoy my cocktails.... a lot. Jason is like an expensive red wine that you enjoy after dinner with a cigar. Renny is like the perfect Mai Tai. It’s just right... anytime. And. Mike is like a perfect martini. Great for relaxing and sipping, or if the day warrants it...., slam it!!!! So to the OP listen to Mike, then have a Martini and enjoy the fruits of your labor

Post Thanks / Like

As others have stated-------DO NOT SAND!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Start with the least aggressive method on a test panel. The tailgate is about the perfect size for that in my book. You can go more aggressive if you aren’t happy with the results but it’s hard to undo if you overdo it on first run. Once you find your happy place, repeat it on the rest of the truck. I have a 06 super duty SRW, IMO that body style is the best looking of all the others.