autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Why am I getting these water spots?

I’ve noticed the last couple of times that I’ve washed my car with Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo that I’m getting these dark water spots.

When washing, the car has been in the shade, mild temps (around the 60’s), using approximately 4 gallons of water with just under one ounce of product, and using ten to twelve Forrest Green MF towels. After washing, I use a leaf blower to blow off the excess water and followed by a MF drying towel, the amount of time between washing and using the blower is anywhere between one to three minutes and from blower to towel is about one to two minutes.

To remove spots, I have to either go over it again with a towel with much harder pressure a couple of times or using Pinnacle Crystal Mist.

Any ideas?

Thank you
    Jay

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why am I getting these water spots?

Looks like water is drying on the vehicle and leaving spots. With the environmental conditions you've described, as well as your speedy drying process, I can't imagine why they are drying on the vehicle so quickly. You may want to try doing a flood rinse to remove most of the water from the vehicle prior to doing your "blow dry" phase. Also, while using the blower, only focus on removing water from crevices and between body panels, mirror housings, etc. and mop up the rest of the water with a good quick detailer or your favorite drying aid and you should have no issues with spotting.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Yes definitely looks like water drying but I suspect it’s from between washes. After a rainfall and the water spots dry, or morning dew that’s dried as the day warms up. The dew or raindrops likely contain some level of fallout, chemicals, dust and/or minerals, which is left behind once the water evaporates.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Your water is hard..lived in Texas for over 10 years.

Washing in the shade is fine, but if you've been driving all day in the sun and then immediately begin to wash, the surface is still hot.

Like suggested, trying using a drying aid.

Post Thanks / Like

I have hard water as well and deal with the same challenges. Now I wash 90% of the time with Optimum No Rinse. What a game changer!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all the comments. It's probably a combination of the car being warm and of course hard water! When I started washing the car, the sun had just gone behind the house across the street so it was probably still warm but not scorching hot but obviously warm enough to cause the spotting...never thought about that! I meant to put a cap full of ONR in the wash to help combat the hard water but for some reason I didn't...next time I will!

Has anyone had any experience with Optimum Car Wash, not ONR? Acura's have very soft paint so I try to do RW sparingly but when it rains during the week I try to do a 2 BM Wash instead of RW. I currently use Pinnacle RW just to keep the synergy of everything else on the car but I'm starting to look at other alternatives than their RW and normal Shampoo.

Again, thank you for the comments.

Jay

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried adding a cap of ONR to my bucket wash to help combat hard water but I quickly learned that the real problem is with the rinse water. The wash water is usually already conditioned from the soap. Just wanted you to know that if you have hard water for rinsing then you'll always be battling that problem regardless of your wash water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfro View Post
    Thank you for all the comments. It's probably a combination of the car being warm and of course hard water! When I started washing the car, the sun had just gone behind the house across the street so it was probably still warm but not scorching hot but obviously warm enough to cause the spotting...never thought about that! I meant to put a cap full of ONR in the wash to help combat the hard water but for some reason I didn't...next time I will!

Has anyone had any experience with Optimum Car Wash, not ONR? Acura's have very soft paint so I try to do RW sparingly but when it rains during the week I try to do a 2 BM Wash instead of RW. I currently use Pinnacle RW just to keep the synergy of everything else on the car but I'm starting to look at other alternatives than their RW and normal Shampoo.

Again, thank you for the comments.

Jay
    I have and use Optimum CW. It is a very good, clean rinsing car soap.

And about the ONR in the wash bucket: I too had this brilliant idea years back. (Hey! I can add a little ONR to soften the water and have the best of both worlds!)

Well, I immediately found out what the flaw in my plan was: The ONR (by nature) knocks the hell out the suds of a car soap.
    I essentially made just a "souped-up" bucket of rinseless wash.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

If your rinse water is hard, you could always get a 3 gallon pump-up sprayer and fill it with distilled water to use as a "final rinse" before drying. I did this for a while when we were living in an apartment waiting for our house to be built.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone,

I am having this same issue BADLY, but it's not because I'm trying to wash and not have to dry, it's because the soapy water is drying before I can get to it with a wash mitt and then rinse it off.

I am washing/rinsing/drying in the shade on "cool to the touch" cars and am fighting water spots on the paint and glass all the time.

I am filling my mobile detailing water tank with water from my home (which is well water) but it is going through the in-home water filter before coming out of the hose.

It is not cost effective for me to buy 50 gal. of distilled water at the store every day for my business and I want to believe that there is something else I can do other than spend $400 on a mobile deionizer.

Someone please help me! This is driving me crazy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast