autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Old school interior protection products, do I need to upgrade?

Hi all I just got a new Tesla and I have some optimum leather protection spray which I was planning on using on the whole interior to lay down some protection. I’ve heard this product is more for real leather and I’ve also had it for years.

I’m curious if there are better products out today to lay down some protection on the interior? Should I go ceramic?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Old school interior protection products, do I need to upgrade?

It can be used on leather,vinyl and plastics. I've been using it for years and love the low sheen look, doesn't attract dust and versatility

Post Thanks / Like

Use what you have, try something new when you run out. Lots of interior detail products do their job well, and most people in this forum like a low satin sheen. Most the Products you find on AG will do that for you.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, is ceramic interior coating more hype than a necessity? I wouldn’t mind doing it since the car is new and there’s minimal prep needed.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Gyeon leather coating. It’s real for sure, and does coat the leather, but it doesn’t last long on the drivers seat. Probably a few months. It’s certainly more substantial that the spray protectant, but it’s not like a paint coating.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdgamble View Post
    I have the Gyeon leather coating. It’s real for sure, and does coat the leather, but it doesn’t last long on the drivers seat. Probably a few months. It’s certainly more substantial that the spray protectant, but it’s not like a paint coating.
    Similar thoughts about PBL and Mckees. Lasts much longer than protectant, but should still be redone every 2-3 months in traffic spots and 6 months on everything else. You should still wipe down with interior QD though. Also not as easy to apply as normal protectant... but not difficult. It just doesn’t spread as fast or far. I use them though on my 2 good cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ssbowtie1 View Post
    Hi all I just got a new Tesla and I have some optimum leather protection spray which I was planning on using on the whole interior to lay down some protection. I’ve heard this product is more for real leather and I’ve also had it for years.

I’m curious if there are better products out today to lay down some protection on the interior? Should I go ceramic?

Thanks!
    It is still a good product. Can be used on various surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by ssbowtie1 View Post
    Thanks guys, is ceramic interior coating more hype than a necessity? I wouldn’t mind doing it since the car is new and there’s minimal prep needed.
    It is completely up to you if you want to try a leather coating. Just be sure to keep your expectations realistic if you decide to use one. I actually just "ceramic" coated the entire interior of my grand prix with cquartz leather on the rubber, vinyl and leather while using adams trim coating on the plastics.

Review - CarPro Cquartz Leather Coating

Review - Gyeon Leather Shield (Leather Coating)

Quote Originally Posted by jdgamble View Post

Abrasion will wear it out sooner. I have had good experience with both Cquartz and Gyeon lasting about a year. Longer in areas that don't see as much @$$ traffic lol. One benefit is the ease of maintenance with a simple wipe down with something like Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    It is still a good product. Can be used on various surfaces.

It is completely up to you if you want to try a leather coating. Just be sure to keep your expectations realistic if you decide to use one. I actually just "ceramic" coated the entire interior of my grand prix with cquartz leather on the rubber, vinyl and leather while using adams trim coating on the plastics.

Review - CarPro Cquartz Leather Coating

Review - Gyeon Leather Shield (Leather Coating)

Abrasion will wear it out sooner. I have had good experience with both Cquartz and Gyeon lasting about a year. Longer in areas that don't see as much @$$ traffic lol. One benefit is the ease of maintenance with a simple wipe down with something like Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer.
    Hey your review was the reason I bought the Gyeon product!

Yeah it’s hard to say how long it really lasts. The slickness did not last long on the drivers seat, but maybe it’s still there. I just know the drivers seat is getting a bit shiny recently, which makes me think there isn’t much protection. I also wipe down with RW/interior detailer pretty frequently.

I also coated my dining room chairs, which get way less use, and they look really clean (off white and kids are monsters).

All in all, I think it’s a good product and would buy it again.

9. Likes The Guz liked this post