autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

MF towel types and uses...?

I’m trying to be a simple hobbyist and not a full blown detailing enthusiast but...

I did a minor correction and sealant yesterday with BF One Step and PNS and I had a hard time choosing the best towel to use for each application.

There’s the (1) classic drying towel (2) long, soft nap, (3) medium nap one side and short on the flip side, (4) short nap, (5) inexpensive general purpose and (6) waffle weave.

1. Used for drying. When that gets saturated I use 2 for a final dry.

2. Used for removing polish/wax/detailer spray and final buff, but seems to get sticky and grippy quickly... was not fun. Got really grippy real fast using with PNS.

3. Love this towel, seems to work for a lot of different applications. I use this instead of a wash mitt. Also seemed to work better removing the BF and PNS. Can be a drying towel and on the interior as well.

4. and 5. General purpose, door sills, wheels, engine bay, etc. I’ve not used on paint, but used on interior.

6. Glass... is there any other use?

Sometimes putting your thoughts in writing helps... just composing this post, I’m thinking... “I should just get a bunch of #3 and call it a day...”

So what do the enthusiasts and pros think? Any suggestions for this hobbyist?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

TBO you could survive and thrive by combining 4/5 aka Kirklands and use them for pretty much everything from polish/compound/wax/sealant removal. IME They also work great for rinseless & waterless washing. Interior of course [even though I prefer the lower nap Meguiars Supreme Shine microfibers for interior duties]
    They’re also cheap enough to do whatever else is needed even though I tend to take very good care of mine and rarely treat them as “disposable” towels.

#6 waffle weaves are the only other kind of towel you would absolutely need and they’d serve the purpose of drying towels + glass towels.

I have hundreds of towels, but most of the time I find myself using those 2 types. The only other microfibers that approach them as far as time used are my Griots PFM towels because those towels are just too damn sweet!

As far as your description of the #2 towels... You’re right, they suck.

3. Thanks chinee thanked for this post
    Likes chinee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve never gotten the Griot’s PFM but I’ve read so much about how great they are. The main reason is that I have several towels already and some have not even been used.

Judging from pictures, I suspect #3 might be similar to the PFM, can’t remember where or how I got those though.

I also use #5 to apply detailing spray and 2 or 3 to remove and buff, 3 is better though.

Thanks for the quick response Eldo.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

5. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: MF towel types and uses...?

There are a lot of towels that “look” similar to the PFM but I promise you only one or two other copycat towels that can perform in the same league as the PFM.

As far as your lineup goes, I’d say it looks pretty stout. Especially for what you’re looking to accomplish. I’d also suggest using your #2 towel for rinseless/waterless washing, QD or as a final buff. I agree that they are not great for compound or polish removal typically. But if you find yourself working on very soft paint, they can mitigate micro marring from polish removal as long as the polish wipes off clean.
    FWIW, you can NEVER have too many towels.

7. Likes Coatingsarecrack, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chinee View Post
    I’ve never gotten the Griot’s PFM but I’ve read so much about how great they are. The main reason is that I have several towels already and some have not even been used.

Judging from pictures, I suspect #3 might be similar to the PFM, can’t remember where or how I got those though.

I also use #5 to apply detailing spray and 2 or 3 to remove and buff, 3 is better though.

Based on your pics, I'd say your #1 is the most similar to a PFM drying towel.

I have several of the same towel as your #3, aka Cobra Super Plush Deluxe. I find they're best used for QD and final buffs.

For rinseless washes and also for polish/sealant/etc. removal, I have gone to Mike P.'s vaunted "Forrest Green Edgeless" towels Cobra 12 Pack Forrest Green Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloths. They're soft, highly effective, and fairly cheap too. Substitute these for your #2 towel.

Substitute some of the Kirkland/Costco MF towels for your #4 & #5. Use new ones for interior, then recycle those for use on door jams, sills, engine, etc.

As for glass towels, yeah, there isn't much else to use them on.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes... #3 is the Cobra, I checked my old orders and I got them in a package kit with my GG DA polisher. So far my favorite towel, I will definitely get a few more.

#1 is a drying towel, a competitor to the PFM, and I will continue to use it for drying. #2 towels will be relegated solely for drying duty, where the nooks and crannies call for a smaller towel.

I'll probably toss #4, or relegate it to the mechanic's bin. I wished I remembered where I got #5, it's a small 12 x 12 towel that soft and absorbent, and is good for everything inside and out, especially for applying BSD. I hope the Forest Greens are a good substitute. If not I'll be searching all the retailers around me to see if I can find them.

Post Thanks / Like

The forest green are great all around towels, but the pfms are the absolute best, period. Best drying, buffing, applying,. Well worth the money.

11. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the forrest greens for sealant/wax application and removal. Too short of nap for me liking to use for rinseless or waterless washing.

Only use PFM’s for drying. Eagle Edgeless for RW/WW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk