autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing old sealant from PPF

I want to put a spray sealant on my car and remove the old coating (CarPro Reload) . I'm going to was with purple power car and RV soap first

Then im going to do a wipedown with rustoleam or Duplicolor wax and grease remover as recommended by videos. People,say IPA wipedown are bad for paint

Do you think it's ok to use these products on Paint Protection Film? Is what I'm doing Overkill? What would you do on PPF to get a fresh surface?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing old sealant from PPF

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dog View Post
    I want to put a spray sealant on my car and remove the old coating (CarPro Reload) . I'm going to was with purple power car and RV soap first

Then im going to do a wipedown with rustoleam or Duplicolor wax and grease remover as recommended by videos. People,say IPA wipedown are bad for paint

Do you think it's ok to use these products on Paint Protection Film? Is what I'm doing Overkill? What would you do on PPF to get a fresh surface?
    If the Reload is more than a few weeks old, it's probably gone by now. If there is some left you would never know it and it won't hurt the new sealant looks or performance.

If you feel that you want the Reload completely gone..then use a light polish.

Mike Phillips

Re: Removing old sealant from PPF

I machine polish PPF film whenever it's on a car in front of me and needs it.

When I"m teaching a car detailing class and one of our cars has PPF film that has swirls and scratches I show how to machine polish it.

Machine polishing will not only remove defects but in will remove ANYTHING you've applied to it and get you down to a clean base.

It's real simple. Use a foam finishing pad and any fine cut or ultra fine cut polish that uses GREAT abrasive technology. I tend to use BLACKFIRE One Step but I have also used 3D Speed, SONAX polishes and Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish.

Test first. And of course only do this with a random orbital polisher - don't use a rotary.

And - use a light touch, don't grind on the surface.