autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

DLUX on bare aluminum wheels getting water spots

So I coated some brand new wheels with the center section being powder coated and the lips being bare aluminum. After a week of some rain they were washed and saw the lips being covered in water spots, but not the center section. So what are my options here, try UK3.0 instead of DLUX from now on, or is bare aluminum just not coating friendly?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DLUX on bare aluminum wheels getting water spots

So ive read that ceramic coating are prone to waterspots. Its why right after Cquartz, CarPros recommends Reload. Protects the coating from waterspots.

Seems like coating should do that though. Carpros makes a water spot remover (Spotless) check it out, make sure coating safe. Remove spots and cover with a Sio2 sealant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Bare with me, as these are just some guesses.

Would probably be incorrect to say they are there on the powder coated center area, you're just not looking close enough. If you say there's nothing seen, then it's duly noted.

I know that it's common knowledge that the CQuartz Coatings are susceptible to water spotting, usually in the coating's infancy, and why it appears the general consensus and practice was to apply a product on top such as Carpro Reload until full cure had been achieved.

I know it is said that DLX is applicable to metal, and chrome. I would suspect there is a difference of interaction of DLX upon different materials such as paints, or bare metals.

Could it be you possibly polished the lips beforehand, but did not get any-all residue carrier products off this area?

Have you tried to use, and have had any luck with the use of some sort of water spot remover? Or would you now say this water spot damage is permanent?

PS: Seen you made a similar post over at the other sister site.
    Agree, worth mentioning, that I believe too that most modern wheels that have such a bare looking polished Aluminum Lip do have the entire wheel Clear Coated, so I'll assume there was no need to polish this area prior to coating. That such is not bare Aluminum.

That the likely cause could then be you didn't follow up with a protective sacrificial product on top of DLX. CP DLX may be unique in many respects but probably behaves similarly to CP CQuartz in regards to water spotting issues if certain precautionary additional steps aren't taken.

Post Thanks / Like

I would try the CarPro Spotless Water Spot remover first. If that doesn't take care of them you can polish them off and recoat the bare aluminum lips of the wheels.

CarPro Spotless Water Spot Remover

BLACKFIRE Metal Polish 16 oz.

Post Thanks / Like

After coating they sat for a few days before they were mounted on the car and a couple days later they saw rain for a few days. About 9 days after the coating they were washed and that`s when the spots were noticed. They should've been cured and OK for water at that point since the cure time states 24 hours I believe. It's the bare aluminum lips only that are the issue so I'm starting to think coatings just don't work on those bare metals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80 View Post
    After coating they sat for a few days before they were mounted on the car and a couple days later they saw rain for a few days. About 9 days after the coating they were washed and that`s when the spots were noticed. They should've been cured and OK for water at that point since the cure time states 24 hours I believe. It's the bare aluminum lips only that are the issue so I'm starting to think coatings just don't work on those bare metals.
    You are correct on the directions. I just read them again. It states initial dry time 1-3 hours, and "full cure in 24 hours. "

Still, out of habit from using CQuartz UK on Paint, for the few bottles that I've used DLX, I did come behind with Reload in all cases after fully dry.

Never had spotting issues on Plastics, and also Chrome and Clear Coated Wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    You are correct on the directions. I just read them again. It states initial dry time 1-3 hours, and "full cure in 24 hours. "

Still, out of habit from using CQuartz UK on Paint, for the few bottles that I've used DLX, I did come behind with Reload in all cases after fully dry.

Never had spotting issues on Plastics, and also Chrome and Clear Coated Wheels.
    At this point I don't think I'll coat bare aluminum wheels anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80 View Post
    At this point I don't think I'll coat bare aluminum wheels anymore.
    Any pics of these wheels?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Any pics of these wheels?
    DLUX on bare aluminum wheels getting water spots-82552128_2770386636371483_6098004690098716672_n-jpg

DLUX on bare aluminum wheels getting water spots-83609144_2508849629371653_1842378727594393600_n-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh, I see.

Maybe not important, but maybe it is. Was this a wash possibly at a coin op spray wash?

I've seen coin op places do some funny things to vehicles over the years. That the water quality at these places leaves a lot to be desired.

I've on a couple of occasions even heard rumor that some of these places use recycled water. Maybe another term could be non-potable water?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast