autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

fixing clearcoat aluminum rims

I have a 2006 gmc sierra 2500hd, SLT, it has these rims (see attached pic)
    the oem is a clearcoated aluminum rim, 16x6.5.

where the lead outer rim wheel weights had been pressed on, and other places, the clearcoat has peeled and the aluminum has turned dark gray. I'm in CT, and first 5 years truck lived in VT, so road salt I'm sure was the primary killer.

2 questions:

- what was the manufacturing process, and is the aluminum alloy different, that allowed them to get the surface finish they did with these rims? It's not mirror, but definitely shiny. And i'd like to restore them as best as possible before putting new tires on them.

- so far I've used rustoleum aircraft remover and 3500psi pressure washer to get 95% of the existing peeling clearcoat off the rims. One more application of aircraft remover on select spots and all clear cloat should be gone. For the corroded gray aluminum, how do fix those spots? The basic center part of the rim looks great with the clear coat removed. Keeping in mind this is a 14 year old truck now, I'm not looking for awesomeness just decent. Truck sits parked 95% of the time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fixing clearcoat aluminum rims-rim-jpg  

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: fixing clearcoat aluminum rims

so i guess it is kind of a mirror finish, this is what i am working with.
    Should i just flitz ball it, or should i also re-clearcoat it after polishing out the corroded spots?

The center of the 8-lug is covered by the center cap. Concerned about the area outside the 8-lug to the tire lip.
    The inside I've already wire brushed, and will probably use black self-etch primer.

this pic is after 2 applications of aircraft remover.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fixing clearcoat aluminum rims-myrim2-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

For protection against New England winters- I would bring them to a trusted wheel repair company that offers powder coating and have them clear powder coat them. Otherwise, if you don't mind them getting gray every winter, go ahead and sand them up to 1500gr and then polish them with you metal polish/sealer of your choice.

4. Likes tomsteve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Every I've owned wheels with clear coated bare alloy from two different OEMs and all of them have failed in a similar way. I'd go with JKDesign's advice and have a wheel shop either paint/clear coat them or powder coat them. It will be far more durable.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

6. Likes JKDesign liked this post
    Mike Phillips

These look like a mess

At this point I would opt to have a pro wheel refinishing company take over or purchase new/different wheels.

8. Likes JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

polishing aluminum requires the right buffs,compounds, and high rpms.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    These look like a mess

At this point I would opt to have a pro wheel refinishing company take over or purchase new/different wheels.

Yep. That is more than just aluminum oxidation, there are signs of pitting and corrosion.

Wheel refinishing will probably cost you $100-125/wheel or more. Which is close to the cost for new replacements (minus center caps).

Alternately you could sand them out to a fine finish and have them painted, but you'll probably have 1/2 the cost of new wheels in that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I agree. I had a 98 K1500 with wheels in similar condition. I shopped online and had refurbished OEM wheels delivered to my door for $550.

Brought my peeling, oxidized, ugly wheels to the metal yard and got a good price for scrap aluminum.

The amount of time, materials, and frustration you’ll have into these, in my opinion, isn’t worth it. Those GM 8 lug wheels are nice looking wheels, and there is a huge market for refurbished options available for a fraction of what you’d spend on buying them new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk