autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New M340i - Help me decide what to use!

Took the car into the daylight today. Found a fairly significant area of rainbowing going from the LF fender onto the bumper. I fixed that using Essence and the Uro Fiber pad. Walked around the car, found a few other small spots, fixed them. Walked around the car again and found more spots! It was like ants, you see one and then you see a ton, alright maybe not that many but I'm a perfectionist. I fixed most of the spots using Essence. A couple spots that were really light I used CQUK to fix, allowing the solvents to dissolve or reactivate the area. It took some massaging but it worked. Then the annoying part was then I could see that the areas the coating(s) are is darker. I applied CQUK over the touch ups. Car went back in the garage to cure (it normally doesn't live there, I have a S2000 that has been sitting out in the rain while this process is going on). Tomorrow I'll go back with Gliss. Hopefully the 'splotchiness' of the touch up areas goes away.

Post Thanks / Like

I find that if you need to use Essence and then touch up you have to do that entire panel or you will see the spot where you touched up. It doesn’t seem to blend well. Hopefully you have enough product as I’m afraid you’ll end up doing it again for each full panel where you left a high spot.
    Bruno Soares

3. Likes gofast182 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    I find that if you need to use Essence and then touch up you have to do that entire panel or you will see the spot where you touched up. It doesn’t seem to blend well. Hopefully you have enough product as I’m afraid you’ll end up doing it again for each full panel where you left a high spot.
    I agree, CQuartz 3.0 does not blend well on touch ups.

5. Likes gofast182 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think touch ups (or lack of success doing so) are a “con” of coating applications.

7. Likes gofast182 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post
    Took the car into the daylight today. Found a fairly significant area of rainbowing going from the LF fender onto the bumper. I fixed that using Essence and the Uro Fiber pad. Walked around the car, found a few other small spots, fixed them. Walked around the car again and found more spots! It was like ants, you see one and then you see a ton, alright maybe not that many but I'm a perfectionist. I fixed most of the spots using Essence. A couple spots that were really light I used CQUK to fix, allowing the solvents to dissolve or reactivate the area. It took some massaging but it worked. Then the annoying part was then I could see that the areas the coating(s) are is darker. I applied CQUK over the touch ups. Car went back in the garage to cure (it normally doesn't live there, I have a S2000 that has been sitting out in the rain while this process is going on). Tomorrow I'll go back with Gliss. Hopefully the 'splotchiness' of the touch up areas goes away.
    This is why I am not a fan of coatings.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

9. Likes gofast182 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post
    How was the lighting in your garage.

11. Likes gofast182 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

New M340i - Help me decide what to use!

Yeah. Tried spot repairs with and without taping off. Ended up polishing and reapplying. Next time im gonna get one of those gyeon lights that Guz got cuz i don’t have best lighting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Likes gofast182, The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The two "bad" spots were the same area on opposite sides of the car, the front fender going onto the front bumper by the headlight. I didn't realize the other side until yesterday. The first side which I caught right away I masked off with painter's tape. It produced noticeable lines even after recoating. I learned not to tape off and let the polisher kind of feather the area out. In hindsight, redoing entire panels might've been better. Lessons for next time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    How was the lighting in your garage.
    NOT GOOD ENOUGH! Even wearing my Scangrip headlamp on top of it still didn't tell me what daylight did. I opted to go inside for the coating because the paint was very hot out in the sun and rain was rapidly coming in (two opposite extremes).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I think touch ups (or lack of success doing so) are a “con” of coating applications.
    I'd definitely agree with that! On one hand I want to do CQUK again on another car soon so I can improve my technique, but on the other hand perfection is difficult with these things, especially in a home setting.

The other coating I have experience with is Polish Angel Cosmic V2. The durability isn't much better than Jescar Power Lock but the paste formula made it nearly impossible to mess up.

17. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast