autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New M340i - Help me decide what to use!

HELP PLEASE!

So I went through the process today, wash, decon, polish with Essence, IPA wipe, and applied CQuartz UK 3.0. Here's my problem...I got about 1/3 of the way around the car and when I shined the utility light I was using along the side of the car I noticed significant fibers coming off of my microfiber towels and stuck on the finish (the CQuartz was a little grabby)(when shined perpendicular to the finish it looks perfect). I switched to a different batch of microfibers and the same thing was happening. By that point I was over halfway done so I finished the car. The fibers were mobile, I could get them to move around with buffing but could not get them off completely. Is this normal? Am I screwed with those things on the finish as the coating cures? I had planned to apply Gliss on Sunday and will now go out and get some brand new microfibers tomorrow. I'd appreciate any input you guys have. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

What gsm towels? Plush or not?

You are ok. The fibers are not going to get stuck.

3. Thanks gofast182 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I started with a Cobra Gunmetal Elite 360gsm and a Supreme 530 600gsm as my secondary. After I noticed the problem I switched to A Woobie Towel 350gsm and a Miracle Towel 600gsm. Same problem with all. Since I need to get the Gliss on it this weekend I just ran out to Costco and grabbed a bag of mf towels as I'm now suspecting my cleaning process (not all of which I did myself). At the same time I've never applied a product as grabby as CQUK so maybe that's part of it? I checked the car today and the fibers still seem to be mobile but they like to be pushed around, not lifted from the car. Not sure if I can or should try to remove them before Gliss? Maybe they'll be swept up in that application process and removed with the new mfs? As long as there's no danger of them curing onto the finish...

Post Thanks / Like

All of those towels are too plush in my opinion. You want a low nap and low plush towel. As an example the edgeless 300 from the rag company.

Post Thanks / Like

The Costco towels are probably close to 300 I'm guessing and they did not leave anything behind on a couple areas I had to touch up or on the wheels which I coated today. I thought the Cobra Gunmetals would be good since they're good at removing other LSPs.

What are your thoughts on applying Gliss tomorrow? Even though the fibers move they're really tough to lift off of the finish. Should I apply Gliss with them there (hoping they'll be swept away) or is there some way you suggest to try and remove them? Thank you for all of your help btw, not just with this issue but your feedback on selecting a coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't the 3.0 come with a suede towel for removal?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post
    The Costco towels are probably close to 300 I'm guessing and they did not leave anything behind on a couple areas I had to touch up or on the wheels which I coated today. I thought the Cobra Gunmetals would be good since they're good at removing other LSPs.

What are your thoughts on applying Gliss tomorrow? Even though the fibers move they're really tough to lift off of the finish. Should I apply Gliss with them there (hoping they'll be swept away) or is there some way you suggest to try and remove them? Thank you for all of your help btw, not just with this issue but your feedback on selecting a coating.
    Do you have Reset Shampoo?

Post Thanks / Like

Costco towels work even if they are not the best towels. Just keep the border away from touching the paint.

You also have to realize you have static from constant wiping. So you can try to lightly wipe the surface to see if the fibers come loose. Then try a test spot with Gliss to see if it is going to work. You are going to have a little bit of dust so lightly wipe the surface anyway prior to applying Gliss. Do not use Eraser and do not use Reset.

Save Reset until the coating has cured for the first wash. You can apply Gliss a week later as well if you want to make sure those fibers are completely gone.

To answer your question yes CQUK is tacky. You are lucky that the new version is not as bad as the previous version.

Post Thanks / Like

The Costco towels are probably close to 300 I'm guessing and they did not leave anything behind on a couple areas I had to touch up or on the wheels which I coated today.
    They’re 350 gsm. Btw they’re my go to towels for most paint duties.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Costco towels work even if they are not the best towels. Just keep the border away from touching the paint.

You also have to realize you have static from constant wiping. So you can try to lightly wipe the surface to see if the fibers come loose. Then try a test spot with Gliss to see if it is going to work. You are going to have a little bit of dust so lightly wipe the surface anyway prior to applying Gliss. Do not use Eraser and do not use Reset.

Save Reset until the coating has cured for the first wash. You can apply Gliss a week later as well if you want to make sure those fibers are completely gone.

To answer your question yes CQUK is tacky. You are lucky that the new version is not as bad as the previous version.
    So you shouldn't wash with reset before applying Gliss?

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast