autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New M340i - Help me decide what to use!

Pick a coating and take it easy on yourself.

So much easier to maintain and the gloss is the best.

Just make sure to paint prep really well after using the 4500.
    I have settled on CQUK3 as of now. Goes far, looks good and doesn't break the bank.
    The line of CarPro maintenance products are super easy to manage and not be overwhelmed with what to buy.

You probably already know all this. I would definitely suggest coating. Dont forget a coating for the wheels!!

Post Thanks / Like

Out of my 4 vehicles, 2 are coated, 1 is a garage queen and 1 is a DD.
    Mercedes is nearing 2 years in march with optimum gloss coat. Cant say enough good things from what I have experienced with it. It still beads beautifully and works nearly as the day it was done. Believe it or not, it is parked OUTSIDE!
    Other coated vehicle is our '18 wrangler JL. The ladies' daily and It received cquk3.0 roughly a year ago, it is garage kept and only has 9k miles. So far, amazing. Beading and sheeting is beautiful.
    As far as application, both were very simple to apply, and i cant speak for longevity to the cquk, yet that is. That being said I would not hesitate to use either again.
    Garage queen is my Cummins. It gets used to haul our 5th wheel and gets fuzion. It will never be coated and I'm a sucker for a carnauba glow on the granite metallic paint. I'm not worried about longevity.
    Daily driver is a white f250. It is NOT coated, and I dont think it will be. The reasoning for coating the other vehicles was ease of maintenance and time on myself to be able to enjoy the other 2 vehicles. I enjoy a nice carnauba wax after a wash on a sunny day. It is old school, sure. But I believe im a bit of an old soul and there is something as a car guy to detail and wax your ride.
    These days everyone is about coatings. It depends on what you are about and what makes you happy. A nice carousel of carnauba waxes to try, and some good old aqua wax gets you quite a bit of protection and longevity in my California climate.
    My vote would be for optimum gloss coat probably if we were being honest. But these days you probably cant go wrong with any of them. Pick something that speaks to you and enjoy it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

3. Likes PM5C liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cquartz UK 3.0 seems to be the popular go-to around here which I guess I was a little surprised about given all of the coatings on the market now. It's on my short list after reading the responses.

jmorlan, my vehicle lives outside as one garage bay houses my S2000 and the other yard equipment so that is a consideration. I get it about wanting to detail and wax your ride. That's one of the reasons I'm looking at Xtreme Solutions Poly-Seal. It has extreme gloss kind of like a wax with polymer durability which might be the right medium for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post
    Cquartz UK 3.0 seems to be the popular go-to around here which I guess I was a little surprised about given all of the coatings on the market now. It's on my short list after reading the responses.
    It shouldn't be a surprise. CQuartz is offered at a reasonable price, is easy to apply, looks good, easy to maintain (don't need to do anything special), and lives up to it's durability claims. Those characteristics push it to the front of the pack of the products here at AG. There may be others sold elsewhere we can't discuss out of a courtesy to the AG hosts an the TOU, but I'd bet CQuartz UK would hold it's own against those as well.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I know CQUK3.0 is good but with so many other things that have come out (and that are sold here) I was just a little surprised there weren't more different recommendations.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    It shouldn't be a surprise. CQuartz is offered at a reasonable price, is easy to apply, looks good, easy to maintain (don't need to do anything special), and lives up to it's durability claims.
    Not having used CQuartz, I’ve been under the impression that maintaining with other products (Gliss, CanCoat, Reload, etc) is not a “must”, but basically a “really want” due to improving slick surface, gloss, and beading that aren’t as good as the toppers. *If these are true*, it seems CQ might not be the best ‘set it-forget it’.

I could certainly be wrong about all this and no intention on dissing CQ. These were just things I’ve read here and there. No intention diverting this thread either... love the M series’!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Not having used CQuartz, I’ve been under the impression that maintaining with other products (Gliss, CanCoat, Reload, etc) is not a “must”, but basically a “really want” due to improving slick surface, gloss, and beading that aren’t as good as the toppers. *If these are true*, it seems CQ might not be the best ‘set it-forget it’.

I could certainly be wrong about all this and no intention on dissing CQ. These were just things I’ve read here and there. No intention diverting this thread either... love the M series’!!
    No coating is set it-forget it. If there was one, those of us coating users would have no need to chase other coatings. If you are just basing this on slickness well that could be said for any coating. They are not as slick as a sealant or wax. That is a known fact. Which is why many like to top with something to get that slickness. Cquartz TiO2 sure is slicker than some of the other coatings.

Gloss well that comes mostly from polishing and is subjective from person to person. To the naked eye one will not notice a difference between coatings.

I suggest heading over to my thread to check out the beading of all versions of cquartz compared to the other coatings. All versions of Cquartz look pretty darn good.

2020 Ceramic Coating 1 Year Test

9. Likes Mdjas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

^^Thanks for the info, Guz. I didn’t realize all/most pure coatings aren’t very slick. I’ll keep an eye on your thread as well.

11. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post
    Last month I got a new M340i in Portimao Blue (very happy with the color). Right now, since it's winter and I can't do a full detail process because I'd have to work outside, I'm washing regularly and applying Optimum Instant Detailer and Gloss Enhancer while trying to figure out what to apply in the spring. I've been going back and forth between a coating, sealant, or going old school with wax. Maintenance doesn't bother me so much and gloss is my priority over hydrophobicity.
    Lots of good suggestions here, but I had great results on an E92 M3 (Melbourne Red) and now an F10 M5 (Singapore Gray) with carnauba-based waxes (P21s and Pinnacle Liquid Souveran). They are metallic pains just like yours, I believe. Something about the wax and the deep colors of BMW paints that really seems to work well. (I have zero technical foundation for that last sentence.) I'm old school (and chronologically old, as well) so I don't mind waxing every 3-4 months as detailing is my hobby. You may have different time constants.

Love the blue, btw. I almost bought a Laguna Seca Blue M5, but the pre-purchase inspection said I should look elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for CQUK3.0
    Starting using it about 4 years ago on 2 cars and it has done very well.
    Easy to apply, maintain, and is durable.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast