autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New M340i - Help me decide what to use!

Last month I got a new M340i in Portimao Blue (very happy with the color). Right now, since it's winter and I can't do a full detail process because I'd have to work outside, I'm washing regularly and applying Optimum Instant Detailer and Gloss Enhancer while trying to figure out what to apply in the spring. I've been going back and forth between a coating, sealant, or going old school with wax. Maintenance doesn't bother me so much and gloss is my priority over hydrophobicity.

My strongest inclination is to go with a coating because it's what all the cool kids are doing. I installed Polish Angel Cosmic V2 coating on my wife's new X5 (white) and so far it's working OK (still going on the flats but failing on lower door panels). I would probably use something different on my car. Top contenders are Gyeon Syncro kit (MOHS, Skin, Cure), GTechniq (CSL+EXO), although I'd still consider Polish Angel maybe with a different product.

For sealants I'm still a huge fan of PowerLock+ which I have on hand or I'm also thinking of a spray sealant like Britemax Remax because it's simple and has a very high gloss level. I also have Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 and while initial gloss is impressive that gloss level doesn't last long so it's out.

I probably won't do wax but the thought crossed my mind for keeping the blue glossy. I have P21S, Lusso Oro, and of course 845 already in my arsenal.

Based on my candidates give me some thoughts on the approach I should take to keep this blue paint looking beautiful. Here are some pics to see the color in different light.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New M340i - Help me decide what to use!

I love that blue! It’s similar to my Belize Blue Accord. I use Fuzion and don’t mind having to reapply it every three months or so.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

3. Thanks gofast182 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If those are your only two options for coatings then based on my experience choose CSL and Exo.

Firs off I will post up my thread on Gyeon Syncro. I was not that impressed with it and it didn't live up to all the hype from Gyeon. Skin is fantastic but doesn't last long. In the end for me the performance was not worth the cost of the product.

2015 Impala with Gyeon Syncro (MOHS + Skin)

You can follow this thread I created on testing various coatings. By the time you are ready I will have the next update.

2020 Ceramic Coating 1 Year Test

If you are open to other coating option and gloss is your priority then I would recommend Cquartz TiO2 topped with Gliss. The titanium dioxide will give you more reflectivity. The other option is Cquartz UK 3.0 topped with Gliss. The last option if you are not worried about longevity is Cquartz Lite.

Review - CarPro Cquartz Lite

5. Thanks gofast182 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had both Syncro and CSL/Exo on my car and will say the CSL combo looked a little better and the Sycro had better self cleaning ability.

7. Thanks gofast182 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What about the power lock + and 845 combo most rave about? Especially since you have the power lock already?

I plan on doing this combo in the spring to my new pacific blue Sierra AT4.

9. Thanks gofast182 thanked for this post
    Likes Mdjas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great car and amazing color. By the looks of the wheels, you have some of the other performance options too, right?

I'd go with a variation of Guz's suggestion. I'd simply coat it with CQuartz UK 3.0. It's easy to maintain, looks great, and will last a long time.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

11. Thanks gofast182 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    If those are your only two options for coatings then based on my experience choose CSL and Exo.

Firs off I will post up my thread on Gyeon Syncro. I was not that impressed with it and it didn't live up to all the hype from Gyeon. Skin is fantastic but doesn't last long. In the end for me the performance was not worth the cost of the product.

2015 Impala with Gyeon Syncro (MOHS + Skin)

You can follow this thread I created on testing various coatings. By the time you are ready I will have the next update.

2020 Ceramic Coating 1 Year Test

If you are open to other coating option and gloss is your priority then I would recommend Cquartz TiO2 topped with Gliss. The titanium dioxide will give you more reflectivity. The other option is Cquartz UK 3.0 topped with Gliss. The last option if you are not worried about longevity is Cquartz Lite.

Review - CarPro Cquartz Lite
    Really nice job and write up on the Impala.

I'll look forward to your first update. You're right, the timing will work out well.

Cquartz Lite will be a candidate. I like the idea or removing high spots with more product.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brianc636 View Post
    What about the power lock + and 845 combo most rave about? Especially since you have the power lock already?

I plan on doing this combo in the spring to my new pacific blue Sierra AT4.
    I actually have both already and that's a possibility.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I love that blue! It’s similar to my Belize Blue Accord. I use Fuzion and don’t mind having to reapply it every three months or so.
    I'm sure that looks beautiful when it's done. A 3 month interval without the cleaning ability of a coating does seem like a lot as we enter 2020 (who would've thought that a few years ago).

Post Thanks / Like

Btw I have some factory installed swirls so I'll be polishing with Menzerna SF4500 before I do this eventual LSP.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast