autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New M340i - Help me decide what to use!

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Not having used CQuartz, I’ve been under the impression that maintaining with other products (Gliss, CanCoat, Reload, etc) is not a “must”, but basically a “really want” due to improving slick surface, gloss, and beading that aren’t as good as the toppers. *If these are true*, it seems CQ might not be the best ‘set it-forget it’.

I could certainly be wrong about all this and no intention on dissing CQ. These were just things I’ve read here and there. No intention diverting this thread either... love the M series’!!
    I really don't care about slickness and don't run my fingers over the paint all the time. I care how my cars look, how well they are protected, and how easy they are to maintain. When looking at it that way, CQuartz UK works great. I've never topped my CQuartz cars with anything and I don't use Reload. I simply keep them clean from hand washing, and after each wash I wipe them down with Ech2O or Elixr to remove the water spots. That's it. The coating holds up for years and performs great the entire time. The beading/sheeting action is fantastic all on it's own. Since I polish the vehicles out before applying the coating there is plenty of gloss.

On my car which currently is running CanCoat, I will admit to using Cure on it. However, the Cure bottle came as part of a kit I simply tried out for fun. While it does make the surface a little more slick and it does boost the gloss a little, it's nothing earth shattering. The CanCoat works just fine on it's own. If I buy CanCoat again, I won't buy another bottle of Cure.

There are tons of toppings and other coating accessory products on the market for coatings, but I like to keep life simple and have found coatings to work just fine all on their own for me without all the extra time, effort and money.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

2. Likes The Guz, acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

^^ Thanks for sharing your perspective, Desertnate.

Post Thanks / Like

Cancoat definitely took the gloss to a higher level than the Cquk3.0. I did all but one panel with cancoat on top and the Cancoat looked more “candy” on top.

If topper adds to duration of coating great but when i top with Cosmic its mainly for show. If i could Carnauba wax and it last more than a week id probably do that.

Anyways that’s why i top. Most who don’t argue the protection and so be it. You cant argue that it doesnt look better with a great topper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm zeroing in on these choices: TAC System Moonlight, Xtreme Solutions Poly Seal, or Power Lock.

My priorities are (in order):
    1. Gloss
    2. Dirt repellency
    3. Durability
    4. Hydrophobicity

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post
    I'm zeroing in on these choices: TAC System Moonlight, Xtreme Solutions Poly Seal, or Power Lock.

1. Gloss
    2. Dirt repellency
    3. Durability
    4. Hydrophobicity
    I have used Moonlight and love it. Amazing hydrophobic properties, gloss, and durability. I've had it on my Rav4 for 6 months and no sign of it letting up. It is great for trim too.

I just bought Poly Seal to compare, but havnt used it yet. I'll post my thoughts on here after I used it next week.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app

8. Thanks gofast182 thanked for this post
    Likes gofast182 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Gloss
    2. Dirt repellency
    3. Durability
    4. Hydrophobicity
    May I suggest WGDGPS? Some great stuff.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DETAILROOKIE View Post
    I have used Moonlight and love it. Amazing hydrophobic properties, gloss, and durability. I've had it on my Rav4 for 6 months and no sign of it letting up. It is great for trim too.

I just bought Poly Seal to compare, but havnt used it yet. I'll post my thoughts on here after I used it next week.

Thank you for this reply and I look forward to seeing your results with Poly Seal. Do you have any photos of Moonlight on your RAV4?

The more I research coatings the less inclined I am to buy into the multi-step process with coatings and toppers. I'm all for the benefits of Si02, but to me it doesn't make sense to need a sacrificial layer to protect your sacrificial layer that takes other maintenance on top of that to keep going. I'd rather use the 'light' coating or topper standalone and have to refresh it every 6-9 months without the same worries of special maintenance wash and stripping before reapplication.

Post Thanks / Like

Second on moonlight. Awesome on trim too. Love Can coat on paint but havent tried on trim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for this reply and I look forward to seeing your results with Poly Seal. Do you have any photos of Moonlight on your RAV4?

The more I research coatings the less inclined I am to buy into the multi-step process with coatings and toppers. I'm all for the benefits of Si02, but to me it doesn't make sense to need a sacrificial layer to protect your sacrificial layer that takes other maintenance on top of that to keep going. I'd rather use the 'light' coating or topper standalone and have to refresh it every 6-9 months without the same worries of special maintenance wash and stripping before reapplication.
    Here ya go. The pictures dont do it justice.

I agree, I'm about simplicity. I will stick to the "lite" coatings myself.

13. Likes Mdjas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

New M340i - Help me decide what to use!

Coating lite / SiO2 Maintenance Spray junkie here. Not because I’m against layering/topping (I still do a lot of that with everything), but because I like to change things up seasonally or every 6 months max and I would hate to waste an expensive coating with a way-early stripping.

Either way, there’s no shame in coating lites and you get coating benefits (for the most part) minus the extra long durability.

CanCoat on my wife’s car, applied around Christmas time:
    New M340i - Help me decide what to use!-img_1599-jpgNew M340i - Help me decide what to use!-img_1601-jpg

15. Likes DETAILROOKIE, Mdjas liked this post
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast